Source for Igniter 32900-XXXXX? 1986 GS550ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source for Igniter 32900-XXXXX? 1986 GS550ES

Hello there. I bought my bike a few weeks ago and have been struggling with getting it to run right.
    I've already had the carbs apart and cleaned them very well. I put a new voltage regulator/rectifier on the bike today and it's running consistently bad now instead of doing lots of different things whenever it wants.

After poking around with a meter it looks like the igniter is bad. Unfortunately, as many of you surely know, nobody makes these anymore. Mine is a 32900-43400, and after a quick search I found these were replaced by 32900-43402. Either of these is available NOS for hundreds of dollars. I pried mine open to see if I could find a busted component or if it was simple enough maybe make a new one. It's too complicated for me to do that.

I was wondering how you guys have dealt with this. There's a used one of these that's pretty beat up looking for $75 on ebay right now, which to me is a bit much for its condition. That's the best deal I can find and it would be awesome if there were other options than that and spending hundreds just to get the timing right on my motorcycle.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: It was o-rings, not the igniter at all.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2013, 03:08 PM.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Jr.Flynn,

Are you sure your igniter is bad? There are some test procedures in the electrical section of my little website. Otherwise there is a Parts for Sale and a Parts Wanted section in this forum. Sometimes you can get lucky on eBay. Use the part number cross-compatibility procedure on my website to see if any other GS parts will fit your bike. The favored aftermarket ignition solution is the Dyna-S kit from Dynatek. But I have read that it doesn't fit and I have also read that it works just fine for the GS550. Check with the manufacturer and get some more opinions from the membership before you spend that kind of money (although it's much cheaper than a new igniter). Here's your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
    Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

After reading all the 83-86 bashing posts it is not surprising that you are first blaming the igniter.

Trust me its highly unlikely that this is the source f the problem.

Look to coils and or plug caps first and ignore the sweet sorry ass off the tests in the oem manual for this unit. They do not jibe at all at all at all.

Comment

Thanks so far, guys. I've got some reading to do. I'll be back!

Comment

So, assuming it's not the igniter, what do you think this could be?
          After the engine is warm, the idle speed changes between ~3500 and ~2000 with some choke (dies without choke unless you keep it going), and the timing seems to be off. I'll continue reading about these issues but I don't know what else would be at fault other than the igniter. I do know I'll be checking valve clearances tomorrow. The bike has about 12,000 miles on it and I don't have as much information about its past as I'd like.

Comment

dead intake boot o-rings and or dirty as sin carbs.
            If it runs on a shot of ether then it aint an ignition problem.

Comment

It was mostly o-rings! They were really bad and probably original. Still running a little funny, but well enough to take out as long as I want. Here are some pictures:

Old vs New

Big crack from bending only a bit

New rings here, but notice the scorch marks from leaks

Thanks a ton for the help, guys. We checked the valves and one was slightly tight, but that was all. Next up is an oil change, then some better tires.
              Here's a picture of my bike, by the way:

(Keeping the lower fairings off until I'm sure I won't be working on it for a while)

Thanks again!

Comment

Fricking beauty man.

Comment

Working...
                X