Accel Coil installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accel Coil installation

I bought a pair of the 140403 Super Coils for my 83 GS850G (with electronic ignition) and I'm 99% sure I got the right ones. Now my question is about installation. Are there any tips, tricks, or hazards I need to look out for?? I have to change my rocker cover gasket so I thought it would be a good time to do the coils at the same time. Any of the Chicagoland GS guys want to lend a hand :?

Re: Accel Coil installation

The metal brackets the coils will be hose clamped to can be drilled with the correct spacing to use your original coil loactio/mount lugs. In trimming the coils wires to length, one you have them cut to length, only score through the yellow casing and then twist to remove the ends to install the caps. Dont trim end until after you have pulled the wire through the cap. Wet the inside of the cap and the end of the wire with liquid Joy and water to make it much easier to pull the wires through. The terminals on the coils are not marked positive or negative. It does not matter which lug you use for positive. You will need the little metal rings/caps that come on the end of some spark plugs. The Accel ends are too large to clip onto a bare/threaded plug.

Earl

Originally posted by MikeW665
    I bought a pair of the 140403 Super Coils for my 83 GS850G (with electronic ignition) and I'm 99% sure I got the right ones. Now my question is about installation. Are there any tips, tricks, or hazards I need to look out for?? I have to change my rocker cover gasket so I thought it would be a good time to do the coils at the same time. Any of the Chicagoland GS guys want to lend a hand :?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Thanks Earl ! ! I think I actually saved the tips off the spark plugs so they should be in my tool box. The bike is due for a set of plugs anyway. Any recommendations on plug type or brand considering the new coils??

Comment

I use the same stock plug I have always used. Increase the plug gap to about 35-38 thou.

Earl

Originally posted by MikeW665
        Thanks Earl ! ! I think I actually saved the tips off the spark plugs so they should be in my tool box. The bike is due for a set of plugs anyway. Any recommendations on plug type or brand considering the new coils??
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Working...
        X