oil cooler for 81 gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil cooler for 81 gs1100e

so i know the 1150 oil cooler will work, what other gs oil coolers will work on my 81 1100e. or should i say what other oil coolers will work, like maybe off an sv650 or a bandit. has anyone done that???? all ideas welcome

The fittings are the killer so get a complete unit if you can

Comment

You'll need an 1150 oil cover for a proper installation of any cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
        VERY, VERY IMPORTANT to make it functional.

Comment

Yes you will need an 1150 oil cover if you use the front banjo bolts as was provided by Suzuki. However that is the only case where you need an 1150 cover.

I have two custom made covers that do not use the banjo bolts and are plumbed into the cover itself. In this case they obviously are not 1150 covers.

Second many 1100E/S 's in Japan have the oil coolers connected to the rear sensor cover rather than using the front banjo bolts. (see gallery at Katmans site). They guys also don't use 1150 covers (I'm guessing) either as that would basically starve their engines of oil.

Yes if you plan on using the banjo bolts on either side of the filter cover; no otherwise.

Jim

Comment

this is what i have on the front of the engine.

Comment

here's another view

Comment

one more angle of the fittings. the previous owner said it had an oil cooler but it was removed long ago

Comment

So they just ran a crossover tube to eliminate the existing cooler. I have a brand new cooler in the For Sale area. A set of '85 700 or '83 750 lines would probably work for you with my cooler.

Comment

Crazy, whooda thunk

At first I figured, they had a 1150 cover and just wanted to remove the cooler.

Well that looks like an 1100 cover and you still would need the 11590 cover if you use the banjos.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Crazy, whooda thunk

At first I figured, they had a 1150 cover and just wanted to remove the cooler.

Well that looks like an 1100 cover and you still would need the 11590 cover if you use the banjos.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Remove your cover and see what you have. If you don't have the 1150 cover you need to block that port the 1150 cover blocks. I have a ten dollar plug that will do the trick. I already sold it once to posplayr but he gave it back to me thinking it was a joke. It's not a joke and that's what I run in my bike. Basically it's a bolt with washers and o-rings and a nut at the end to hold it together.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Cheff,
                        U can tell the cover from the outside: if it has ti ts it (pronounced like nipple) is 1100. His has ti ts

You plug will starve the engine if the cooler plugs. Not likely but that is why Suzuki put that little calibrated bleed through on the 1150 cover.

Pos

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          Cheff,
                          U can tell the cover from the outside: if it has ti ts it (pronounced like nipple) is 1100. His has ti ts

You plug will starve the engine if the cooler plugs. Not likely but that is why Suzuki put that little calibrated bleed through on the 1150 cover.

Pos
                          Or if the next owner decides to remove the cooler, plugs the fittings, and doesn't change back to the original cover.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
                            Or if the next owner decides to remove the cooler, plugs the fittings, and doesn't change back to the original cover.
                            Not good

Comment

I like my cover even better now. It has breasts!
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X