Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
    'Splain this to me.
    Are you saying that the bars are 3.3cm long?
    Did you mean 33cm?
    Whoops. Yep, 33 cm.

33 mm wouldn't give you much leverage.

Edited the original post for accuracy.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-02-2006, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Another option might be the exhaust systems from Marving which have a flat 4 into 1 collector. Gotta shoot them an email for a price quote.

Comment

Today the new GSXR 1000 headlight brackets went on the front. The GS headlight will look sweet on the new forks.

I also had a look at the ignition switch situation. The stock GS1000 ignition switch isn't the same shape/size and doesn't have the same mounting points on the upper triple clamp as the Gixxer 1000. But, you gotta love Suzuki consistency when it comes to ignition switch wiring.

The first pic is of the guts of the stock GS1000 ignition switch. As you can see, there are 4 wires - red, orange, brown, and black. The second pic shows that the new GSXR 1000s have the same wiring! A bit of soldering work to mate the Gixxer ignition switch wires with the GS harness connector and we should be good to go. Not to mention the GSXR ignition switch will bolt right up to the new GSXR top triple tree.

I've got the exhaust ground clearance issue partially solved. My existing V&H hangs under the frame too low for comfort.

So, I picked up a set of stock GSXR 1000 headers for cheap ($25) on fleaBay tonight, picture below. The main attraction to this header is the fact that it's a 4 into 2 into 1 collector, which should greatly increase ground clearance because the collector is only 1 pipe thick.

I fully expect the exhaust port diameter/spacing and downpipe length to be completely different between the two bikes, so it seems there are two options: Mod the existing V&H to fit the new collector, or lengthen and bend the Gixxer header to fit the GS exhaust ports. Either way, a new midpipe will have to be fabbed up. The Gixxer headers are cheap enough that another one might be purchased for more raw material if lengthening is needed. The Gixxer header is also made of titanium, so there should be some weight savings over the V&H steel.

One of the guys over on OSS used a Gixxer header on his Katana, so it seems like a viable solution. TBD. And I reaaaally want a Yoshi sportbike can on my bike - this'll make it that much easier.

Here's the titanium header:

Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2006, 10:18 PM.

Comment

And in the flesh on a very trick Katana in the process of being built, complete with a Yoshi can. Look how tightly the pipes hug the frame.

Or on this amazing GS1000 - gimme gimme.

Last edited by Guest; 12-04-2006, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
            And in the flesh on a very trick Katana in the process of being built, complete with a Yoshi can. Look how tightly the pipes hug the frame.

[IMG]http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/yabb/Attachments/pictures_040_002.jpg[IMG]
            That is a NICE bike. Love what you are doing. Keep us posted on that exhaust, as i'm just as concerned about that on my GS, as i'm doing the gsxr fork swap. mmm Titanium....

Comment

Sweet! What model of GS do you have, and which GSXR forks are you putting on it?

PS - Wish that Kat were mine - that guy is doing an amazing job.

Originally posted by Druro View Post
              That is a NICE bike. Love what you are doing. Keep us posted on that exhaust, as i'm just as concerned about that on my GS, as i'm doing the gsxr fork swap. mmm Titanium....

Comment

I am also building a GS1000. I've posted a few pictures before so if you would like to see them do a search on my name.
                At the moment I'm getting ready to move house so there is very little going on in my garage. There is a large collection of parts though, a full set of GS1000S bodywork in red/white, a set of standard 1978 bodywork in red, a pair of 17" spoked wheels, a pair of 17" Astralites, a rebuilt 1085 motor with a flowed head and a 1233cc all whistles & bells motor:-). My problem now (apart from a lack of time) is I can't decide what kind of bike to build, a bike along the lines of the new retro Ducati's with wide spoked wheels & the standard red bodywork or a stripped down racer inspired bike with the S bodywork & Astralites. Perhaps after the move I should build both, this is a picture of my titanium pipe ( I wont be using the end can as its far too big ).

I may use this can if nothing better turns up.

Cheers,
                Mark...

Comment

Pan-

Sounds like you have a great bike or (bikes!) in the works! Would love to see it when you have it (them) done.

Did you have that exhaust custom made from scratch? Or was it derived from a pre-existing exhaust like the GSXR 1000?

Yoshimura has a "Shorty" exhaust that may suit your needs. More info here.

Last edited by Guest; 12-04-2006, 02:00 PM.

Comment

WTG on that 4-2-1 exhaust purchase. I recently read, on Oldskoolsuzuki I think, that the 4-2-1 is better for midrange power than the 4-1. Tuning is not my strong point so I don't really know what they (or even I) were talking about, but I'm a convert now. $25 bucks, aye? Hmmmmn.

Comment

Not to mention that Pan just filled me in on the fact that his ENTIRE titanium 4 into 2 into 1 system minus the exhaust can only weighs 4 pounds! :shock:

Originally posted by justin caise View Post
                      WTG on that 4-2-1 exhaust purchase. I recently read, on Oldskoolsuzuki I think, that the 4-2-1 is better for midrange power than the 4-1. Tuning is not my strong point so I don't really know what they (or even I) were talking about, but I'm a convert now. $25 bucks, aye? Hmmmmn.

Comment

I had a Harris 4 into one exhaust on my first GS1000 and despite numerous attempts at setting the carbs up & re-jetting there was always a mid range flat spot. I think the thing to remember is that this is old technology and in its day the 4 -1 was a BIG improvement on the stock pipe setup but thing have moved on. Most if not all 4 cyl' bike manufacturers now fit 4 - 2 - 1 pipes and I cant help thinking that they know what they are doing and have forgotten more about exhausts than I will ever know.
                        I had a brand new 4 - 1 Sebring that I intended to use before I bought the titanium system. I went for this as it had a flat collector and gave good ground clearance, I put one down pipe on the scales and it was over 2 lb but the complete 4 - 2 - 1 is only 4 lb. So if it works well with no flat spots, gives good clearance and saves weight then it has to be the way to go.

Cheers,
                        Mark...

Comment

Buy a GSXR and save yourself the trouble.

Comment

buying a GSXR is just too easy. Besides, its way more fun to shut the squids up when they get all cocky. Especially if they don't realize whats under the hood, so to speak. Keep up the good work 80GS1000. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Comment

Originally posted by Fudquest View Post
                              Buy a GSXR and save yourself the trouble.
                              There's just something about these old aircoolers you have to love. Buying a stock bike would be way too easy, not to mention plain vanilla. Besides, updating/upgrading a classic bike with new running gear (tires, suspension, brakes etc) lets your already great bike perform that much better. Are all those items better now than they were 25 years ago? Rhetorical question.

I think the question is not why, but why not?

When I bought this bike, I fell in love with the sledgehammer torque and acceleration throughout the powerband, the slick transmission, and the snarl of the exhaust when you get close to redline.

I tend to ride my bike as a sport bike, dragging the pegs in the twisties in the mountains by my house. This bike is also slated for some track days next season.

The GS1000 easily overpowers its stock suspension (weave/wobble), tires (too narrow for stable high speed hard cornering), and braking ability(what brakes?!) when you ride it hard, so why not upgrade them?

I'd mod the crap outta a new GSXR 1000 too, like the one below.

Something like this:
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2006, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
                                buying a GSXR is just too easy. Besides, its way more fun to shut the squids up when they get all cocky. Especially if they don't realize whats under the hood, so to speak. Keep up the good work 80GS1000. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.
                                Thanks man. I'm looking forward to it too. All that skunk grunt with great handling and brakes that work.

Besides, how many bikes do you see rolling around that look like this?

Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2006, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X