Compatiability Between years for GS650GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compatiability Between years for GS650GL

I am looking at some parts on ebay that would really help me in my restoration of the bike. My bike is a 1983 GS650gl and the parts that i am looking at are headlight ears, front and rear turn signals, cam cover caps, peg braces and front fender from a 1981 gs650gl. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Originally posted by HolisticBlackGS View Post
    I am looking at some parts on ebay that would really help me in my restoration of the bike. My bike is a 1983 GS650gl and the parts that i am looking at are headlight ears, front and rear turn signals, cam cover caps, peg braces and front fender from a 1981 gs650gl. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Don't know specifically, but one good way to check is to look at a parts schematic like the one on alphasports or Babbits and see if the part numbers are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
      Don't know specifically, but one good way to check is to look at a parts schematic like the one on alphasports or Babbits and see if the part numbers are the same.
      thank you for that but the seller dosnt have any part numbers listed.

Comment

Originally posted by HolisticBlackGS View Post
        thank you for that but the seller dosnt have any part numbers listed.
        I mean look up the year the part is from, then look up your year and see if it's the same number.

Comment

all but three pieces

This GS was only made for three years, and there is not any variation in the pieces you are describing. I have a 1981 tank and 1983 side pieces on my '82, no problems. The '81 seat cover is a tiny bit different - it has a scrolly sort of Suzuki logo on the back, while the '82 has plainer lettering.

The only major difference is in the cylinder head, cylinder head cover and main bearings, changes which occurred mid-82. The later bikes (frame no. 104613 and on) have 1 extra bolt securing the cylinder head cover, and a matching extra bolt hole in the cylinder head. The extra bolt is on the left from side of the cam chain tunnel. It is probably there to improve oil-tightness. It means you need the right cylinder head cover gasket if you ever check your valve clearances (do it! do it!) or whatnot. That is why parts diagrams list two cylinder head cover for this bike.

The main bearings are also different in the later bikes (engine number 122688 and on), but it sounds like you are not going that deep into the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by rkubik View Post
            This GS was only made for three years, and there is not any variation in the pieces you are describing. I have a 1981 tank and 1983 side pieces on my '82, no problems. The '81 seat cover is a tiny bit different - it has a scrolly sort of Suzuki logo on the back, while the '82 has plainer lettering.

The only major difference is in the cylinder head, cylinder head cover and main bearings, changes which occurred mid-82. The later bikes (frame no. 104613 and on) have 1 extra bolt securing the cylinder head cover, and a matching extra bolt hole in the cylinder head. The extra bolt is on the left from side of the cam chain tunnel. It is probably there to improve oil-tightness. It means you need the right cylinder head cover gasket if you ever check your valve clearances (do it! do it!) or whatnot. That is why parts diagrams list two cylinder head cover for this bike.

The main bearings are also different in the later bikes (engine number 122688 and on), but it sounds like you are not going that deep into the engine.
            I am interested what are the main bearing differences and is the crankcase different in any way where the mains mount or the oilways. Thanks.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2008, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
              I mean look up the year the part is from, then look up your year and see if it's the same number.
              didnt think of that thanks

Comment

thank you very much for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                  I am interested what are the main bearing differences and is the crankcase different in any way where the mains mount or the oilways. Thanks.
                  Manual sez: All 1981 and early 1982 models are equipped with connecting rod bearing inserts manufactured from an aluminium-based alloy. All [later] 1982 models, engine No. 122688 and subsequent, are fitted with connecting rod bearing inserts manufactured from a copper-based alloy. The later style inserts can be distinguished by their light silver-coloured back. On older models, if any new bearings are to be installed, it is recommended that all bearings be replaced by the new-style inserts. Never use one of each style bearing insert on the same connecting rod.

Other than that, it appears the cases and such are the same.

Me, I suspect this plain bearing engine was Suzuki's first step away from the very strong but expensive roller-bearing crankshafts. Halfway through the production run, they must have learned a lesson which would be successfully applied to the GSX engines.

Comment

Manual sez: All 1981 and early 1982 models are equipped with connecting rod bearing inserts manufactured from an aluminium-based alloy. All [later] 1982 models, engine No. 122688 and subsequent, are fitted with connecting rod bearing inserts manufactured from a copper-based alloy. The later style inserts can be distinguished by their light silver-coloured back. On older models, if any new bearings are to be installed, it is recommended that all bearings be replaced by the new-style inserts. Never use one of each style bearing insert on the same connecting rod.

Other than that, it appears the cases and such are the same.

Me, I suspect this plain bearing engine was Suzuki's first step away from the very strong but expensive roller-bearing crankshafts. Halfway through the production run, they must have learned a lesson which would be successfully applied to the GSX engines.
                    Thanks heaps. It looks like I have the best of both worlds then. A 650 top end and an early 550 roller crank bottom end.

Comment

Working...
                    X