Knob on Cam Chain Tensioner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knob on Cam Chain Tensioner?

Lat week I posted a note about how my cam chain (78-ish 550e) was rattling after a long ride. So I was looking through the service manual and it showed where the tensioner was. Mine has a knob coming out of the right side. I gave it a 1/4 turn clockwise and all of the chain noise and rattling went away. Is this a good thing to do, or am I about to break something. I've only idled it and given a few little revs and there is no chain noise at all. Was afraid to ride it before I heard from some one gave me some advice. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Glen

that knob should have a spring on it which should push the tensioner rod in with constant pressure no matter what...

with it being spring loaded, you should be able to turn the knob counter clockwise and loosen the chain, but when you let go it should spring back and put pressure back on...

with that being said, it sounds like you have a bad tensioner....

i would pull it off and clean it up really good... maybe its just gunked up and seized??

Comment

You should go back to that original thread and follow the link to Bringer's site - I think it's in Basscliff's post. He's got an awesome tutorial on rebuilding those things with enough pictures that it actually makes sense and even a parts list for replacement dealies.

It doesn't sound like yours is working right - it should be keeping proper tension on the chain without twisting it. Course, could also be that the tensioner's fine and releasing the tension quiets the noise? Then you have some other problem.

Either way, I'm no expert mechanic, but IMO the cam chain's connected to too many things and too deep in the engine to run the bike aside from what you need to figure out what's wrong. And I'd start with the tensioner.

Comment

Here ya go:

I've found that more than half the time, someone has mistakenly tightened the setscrew all the way. The setscrew must be left loose by a half turn or so in order for the pushrod to be able to move. You then tighten the locknut to ensure the setscrew stays loose.

It wouldn't hurt anything to check the setscrew on yours.

Also, some tensioner pushrods seem to have been made from a slightly softer material, and some develop dents on the angled portion where the ball bearing on the adjuster shaft rides. You can sand these dents out with a piece of sandpaper attached to a nice smooth surface, or just replace the pushrod for $11 or so.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

thanks

I'm going to start with the simplest first.. checking the set screw. I'll move to the rebuilding from there. thanks for the info!

Comment

Cam Chain Tensioner

This post has done it again. Thanks!
            85 GS1150E

Comment

It doesn't hurt to turn the knob occasionally to make sure things are still moving freely, just
              DON'T TURN THE KNOB WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'd love to have a manual, for the look if nothing else. APE makes one for the 1100, but not the 1000.

Comment

Working...
                X