KZ1000 carb boots on a GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KZ1000 carb boots on a GS1000

Okay, the first question is why am I doing this? I broke the bolt that is removed for attaching the carb sync adapter in the #3 cylinder. Half the bolt remained in the cylinder. Immediate images enterend my mind, of having to remove the head to get this bolt machined out. The tough angle, and limited space means I'll never get this out by myself. What a disaster!

Then I remembered admiring my friend Matt's KZ1000. His carb boots look identical in size & shape, with built in tubes for the carb sync. I decided to buy a set from parts&more to experiment with. At $65 bucks for 4, I felt it a reasonable price, even if they didn't work.

So here's the details, with pics, measurements, and comments on some of the challenges. This will go into 2 or 3 posts. Sorry, but I feel it necessary to present all the details. I look forward to the feedback this inspires.

First, the Kawi boot on the left has the built in tube with a rubber cap. Also the Kawi boot has a built in o-ring ridge on the cylinder head side.

Next, a lot of measurements for you engineers & wannabee's. The carb side of both boots is 34mm. On the cylinder head side the Kawi is 29mm, the Suzi boot is 28mm.

Next, page 2.

Page 2

When I removed the o-ring on the Suzuki boot, I was able to place the boots back-to-back. The Kawi o-ring fit perfectly inside the groove in the Suzuki boot.

Sideways, the boots are almost identical. The Kawi boot is 29mm, the Suzi boot is 28mm.

(I don't know why this pic wants to display as a link?)

Now the first significant difference. The bolt hole spacing. The center to center distance on the Kawisaki boot is 58mm. The Suzuki is 60mm. As is, I cannot get both bolts to thread into the cylinder. I overcame this by enlarging the bolt hole with a 5/16th drill bit.

Now for fitment. I hadn't looked closely at this on Matt's bike. But I guess the bolt pattern is different. If I install the boots L-L-R-R, as they are labeled, the sync ports are straight down. This will not work for #2 & #3. They hit the cam chain tensioner. First I tried installing them upside down. This put the sync ports almost straight up. Not bad, but a tight fit with the carbs on.

Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2007, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Paqe 3

Okay, final page I think.

I then installed the new boots on the "wrong" cylinders. ie, left boots on the right side. This put the sync tubes facing up & out. Also not bad, but also a tight fit. I'm sure I can get the rubber caps off & on with a needle nose pliers.

I decided to keep them at an angle for now. Later today I will be installing the carbs and syncing them up. Obvious leak checks will be performed. But I have every confidence this will be the best overall solution to my broken bolt. Okay gang, let the discussion begin.

Comment

That looks like it will work just fine! I think I'll get a set, too. The price is certainly better than new ones from Suzuki. I always end up dropping at least one of those little bolts on the intakes.... I hate that!

Can I have your old ones? I'll pay, of course!:mrgreen:
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
          Can I have your old ones? I'll pay, of course!:mrgreen:
          Sure. They're brand new. Nice & supple. O-rings are new, too. Do you need them before June?

Comment

PM sent. Thanks! :-D
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I just received the set I bought. I like them. I hate having to unscrew that tiny screw and put on the adapters. I always seem to burn my big hands. And I'm always wondering if I have gotten the adapters sealed up good. These are much nicer. Just take the cap off and slide the synch hose on. No worry of leaks.

I just ordered another set for my project. I'm sure I will be playing with the carbs ALOT to get them dialed in once I'm ready. The Kawi boots will make that so much easier.
              Hey, I wonder if I can use the original screw holes for a nitros set-up? :twisted:
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Tom,
                Did you use your original hose clamps? No groove on these for the clamp, but looks like the original one will work?
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                  Tom,
                  Did you use your original hose clamps? No groove on these for the clamp, but looks like the original one will work?
                  Yep, original clamps worked fine. And no leaks with the WD40 test.

Comment

Working...
                  X