GS850 Tail light replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Tail light replacement

I am interested in replacing the stock taillight assembly on my 82 GS850. I am wanting something a little more streamlined. Does anyone have any pictures / part numbers / advise regarding this? I have seen allot of taillights that I like in catalogs, but I am not sure if they would fit and dont want to go throught the expense to find out the hard way

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Originally posted by steve.dake
    I am interested in replacing the stock taillight assembly on my 82 GS850. I am wanting something a little more streamlined. Does anyone have any pictures / part numbers / advise regarding this? I have seen allot of taillights that I like in catalogs, but I am not sure if they would fit and dont want to go throught the expense to find out the hard way

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.
    What type of 850 is it?

I did a search for this question with regards to L models and found that some people use that universal tombstone one. I can't vouch for it, but I'm also curious as to if there are any other options

Comment

Its a 1982 GS850GL

Comment

I am looking into getting a '59 caddy tailight lense and frenching kit and fabbing a bracket to make it fit my bike. I think I am going to replace a small piece on the bottom of the lens with some clear and use that to light my license plate.

Comment

I have 80 GS850 and I'm going to use a taillight from a Harley, its called a cats eye its about 6.5 inches long and 1.5 wide,you can find it in denniskirk catalog under v-twins.

Comment

Originally posted by steve.dake
            Good looking bike, Steve!

Comment

heres what i did to mine. The two tail lights/brake lights are actually just 3 dollar trailer lights.

I cut a piece of 22 gauge steel out and riveted it to the plastic fender where the old light was. I then used bondo to smooth the transition between the two materials and hide the rivets. Then I just drilled hole and mounted the lights.

If you were to go this way you would need to either run one light as the brake and one as the tail light since they are single filament bulbs. or you could do it how I did and wire up a circuit with a resister to cut the voltage down from 12 to like 6 for both running lights and then when you push the brake it bypasses the resister and delivers the full 12 volts to brighten the lights up.

It was cheap and I like the way it looks.

http://tools.ecn.purdue.edu/~morrisj...e/DSCI0010.JPG

Comment

I put a lucus Style taillight assy I ordered from Dennis Kirk you will need to do a little drilling to mount it I installed it on my 1980 750L and it blends in with the fender well.

Comment

Working...
                X