Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** RaceTech Warning **

Hi All,

Just a warning about Race Tech cartridge emulators and fork springs relating to the 82-83 GS1100E models. The part numbers given for this bike on the RT website are WRONG!

I was just out in my garage working away at the installation of these parts and neither the emulators nor the fork springs will even FIT inside the stanchion tubes. The parts are listed as:

emulators: FEGV-S3801
    springs: S3234-XX, where the X's are the rate (eg. 95, 10, etc)

From a closer look at their site, they list the 82 1100E as having a 41mm fork. Those of us with one in the garage know it is actually a 37mm tube size. Naturally, components sized for a 41mm fork tube will not fit the 37mm ones... From dimensions given on their site, the correct parts should be:

emulators: FEGV-S3301
    springs: S2938-XX

I called their tech line, but they are closed today and I will have to wait until Monday to get anybody there. Here's hoping they acknowledge their mistake and offer to correct it, but I'm not holding my breath. :x

Mark

Too bad. I've been through similar things myself. Thanks for the tip and I hope it works out good for you.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Some better info on this:

I was wrong on my first guess for the new fork springs; the fork tubes are smaller ID than I originally thought. After some checking and measuring, they appear to be about 27.5mm ID. The RT fork springs I mentioned above are 29mm OD, so they will not work. The correct fork spring is:

#S2643-XX

Where the "XX" is the rate, as before.

The emulators I mentioned are still correct and will fit fine inside the fork tubes and onto the damper rod...

Mark

Comment

Mark,

Thanks for the heads-up. I have the same springs sitting on my workbench at home. I got mine through Arizona Motorsports so I'll have to see if they will work with me on a refund or exchange.......

Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by mark m
          Some better info on this:

I was wrong on my first guess for the new fork springs; the fork tubes are smaller ID than I originally thought. After some checking and measuring, they appear to be about 27.5mm ID. The RT fork springs I mentioned above are 29mm OD, so they will not work. The correct fork spring is:

#S2643-XX

Where the "XX" is the rate, as before.

The emulators I mentioned are still correct and will fit fine inside the fork tubes and onto the damper rod...

Mark
          Mark,

Have you verified these part numbers with Race Tech? I want to be sure I get the correct parts this time.

Thanks,
          Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Mark,

I spoke with Eric at Race Tech. He did some searching and found that the '94-'01 Kawasaki EX500 used a 37mm KYB fork. The kits for that bike are FEGV-S3501 Cartridge Emulator and FRSP S2938xx springs. These are 29mm units. He said they couldn't guarantee these would fit but chances are they would. He also assured me that they would work with us to get it all sorted out. I'm a little concerned about the spring length. The S2938xx springs are 377mm in length while the factory service manual specifies a length of 442mm. I asked Eric about this and he said it shouldn't be a problem as long as we had proper spacers and setup. I don't have my forks apart yet. Can you check the fork I.D. again and see if 29mm stuff will fit? Do you know if our bikes use KYB forks? I couldn't find the brand name in the service manual.

Thanks,
            Joe

Thanks,
            Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

i don't know if this helps but the 1000's used kyb forks (under the fork axle style) just to note in this post for others, you guys are only talking about 82-83 gs 1100 under the axle forks. the 80-81 leading axle 1100 forks are diffrent. right?

-ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                i don't know if this helps but the 1000's used kyb forks (under the fork axle style) just to note in this post for others, you guys are only talking about 82-83 gs 1100 under the axle forks. the 80-81 leading axle 1100 forks are diffrent. right?

-ryan
                Yes, we have the non-leading axle type. I'm sure they are similar but not sure if they're the same diameter. Ours are 37mm.

Thanks,
                Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

I spoke with Eric at Race Tech. He did some searching and found that the '94-'01 Kawasaki EX500 used a 37mm KYB fork. The kits for that bike are FEGV-S3501 Cartridge Emulator and FRSP S2938xx springs.
                  You did better than I did, I could never get a person on the phone in several tries today. I eventually sent them an e-mail mentioning the problem and how bad their customer support was. I have had previous e-mails to them take 2 weeks+ to be answered, as well. I am through with dealing with Race Tech. Unless they feel like sending me a set of the 2643 springs (and paying for all of the UPS charges) and exchanging the 3801 emulators for a set of the 3301's, I will not be buying another product of theirs if I can help it.

The 3501 emulators are 29.0mm OD, which will not fit. I did some measuring using sockets, to see what the biggest one was that would fit down the tube and a 27.45mm diameter will fit while a 28.2mm diameter will not fit. Judging from the feel, I would say the tube ID is about 27.5mm, so you need something under 28mm diameter. The 3301 emulators will fit perfectly and will sit correctly on top of the damper rods. The 3501 emulators will not sit into the top of the damping rods, either, as the opening there is a tight 20mm ID across the points of the internal profile (it looks sort of like a 12 point socket).

So, yes, I am sure the 3301 emulator is the one you want. And to go with that is the 2643 series springs, which will also fit correctly into the tubes. The stock springs are just under 27mm OD, which is a good match for the 2643 series ones.

I returned my 3234 springs today, but the dealer cannot get the 2643 series springs here in Canada, as RT's distributor here does not list them. I can order them direct from RT, but they only ship via UPS, which charges me a $50 "brokerage fee" to get the package through customs. I refuse to pay that, as I can do it myself for a $5 fee. So I ended up ordering a set of Progressive Suspension springs and I will run those with no emulators. The 3801 emulators that I bought originally will fit 41mm forks and are very popular with SV650 and FZR400/600 riders, so I will simply sell them and get my money back out of them.

My long term plans for the 1100 are to replace the front end with a Bandit 1200 front end and use 17" wheels for the good rubber, so I will simply save the money from the emulators and PS springs and put it towards the new front end. I was planning on waiting at least two seasons before doing the swap, but I may just go for it after this summer is over instead.

Ah well, if everything went as planned, life would be no challenge at all... :?

Mark

Comment

I sent Race Tech an e-mail once and never received a reply. I have called them twice and pressed "4" for Tech Support which transfers you to a voice mail but doesn't allow you to leave a message. Both times I pressed "O" for the operator and was immediately transferred to a live person.

I think I'm going to scrap the Race Tech project too. I've been riding with the Progressive springs for years and can't complain about the fork action. I'll just do a flush and fill and get ready to ride.

Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

aww come on joe lets see what happens, you still have a couple months to work the bugs out, what better things do you have to do anyways .... drink beer......
                      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x
                      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                        aww come on joe lets see what happens, you still have a couple months to work the bugs out, what better things do you have to do anyways .... drink beer......
                        Drink beer........play hockey................drink beer.............smoke cigars..........drink beer...................clean and wax motorcycles..............drink beer....................clean carbs......................drink beer.......................
                        IBA# 24077
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Hey Mark, did you ever get those cartridge emulators up and running?

Comment

Hey Mark, did you ever get those cartridge emulators up and running?
                            Nope. I ended up with modified Progressive Suspension springs (I cut about 4" off them to increase the rate) and fresh oil and that's it. I eventually did get an e-mail back from Racetech but they weren't helpful at all (actually they denied having any listing for info on my bike on their site - didn't know there was an alternative or other 82-83 GS1100E...). From all the measurements I took, I know I need the #3301 emulators and I am keeping an eye out for a set on E-bay. At the moment, I have no spare $$$ for anything anyways, so it's a bit of a moot point. I did block off one of the holes in the rebound adjuster but at the moment I have enough rebound with the #3 position and fresh oil. I will see how it goes as the miles add up.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X