Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas in airbox

Hello all,

Need some words of wisdome from the all knowing forum guys. As the title suggests, I'm getting gas in my airbox on my 83 gs 550e,(4cyl-2carb). The only way I know of that this can happen is if an intake valve is open when the piston comes back up.

Please elaborate on tha vallidity of my thaughts.

Thanks in advance.

Check the petcock, check the float valves. Very common problem on 1980 or later CV carb equipped GSes, the EPA mandated the overflow tubes go away, so now any overflow due to petcock or float valve problems has no place to go except into the engine or airbox, or both... Easy fix.
    Last edited by tkent02; 03-23-2009, 08:25 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Stripped carbs COMPLETELY, dipped for like 400,000,000 hours in "Berry juice", all new o-rings seals and gaskets, new needle & seats, floats adjusted to within .003" of mid spec, new pilot jets, new intake o-rings, new intake boots, new intake and boot clamps, new throtle shaft seals, sealed up all of the BB's they use to seal up the drill holes.

The old girl runs sweet untill the raw gas in the airbox starts spashing into the carbs. While you're under way it's not too bad, gets just a touch soft, but when you come to a stop you can tell it's getting "choked out" and idles poorly.

I have run one tankfull of Yamaha Ring Free through it. Sometimes it runs PERFECT and sometimes it runs lik I have described. Hence, my thaught of carbon on an intake valve.... or something like that.

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention, the overflow/vent tubes on this engine just go to atmosphere.

Comment

Unfortunately, all it takes is one speck of dirt on a needle seat to cause an overflow. Can you push the carb-to-airbox boot up enough to see the carb throats? If you can, then turn the petcock to prime and see which one overflowing. If both carbs are overflowing, then float height is suspect. Someone also lately posted that his floats weren't floating. Can you pull the bowls without removing the carbs? I once found a speck of dirt on a needle tip causing a leak, but it was almost invisible on the rubber tip (3rd time checking).

Comment

OK, took the tank off and ran gas line from a bottle straight to the carb...... no gas overflow, floats ar good. I have removed the diafram from my petcock and plugged the vacuum port on the carb and the petcock. I remember seeing gas in that vaccum line. In the shed seems to run OK and no gas in airbox boots, (raining out today. Will not ride right now. Too old. lol). Planning to give it a whirl tomorow and see if a load on the engine makes a difference. I'm really glad I asked you guys about this, I was ready to take the head off and do a valve job on her. Any other thoughts with this new info are more than welcome.

Comment

Hmmmm, interesting symptoms. Gas in the vacuum line would not feed back into the airbox because it is too far downstream. You didn't need to take out the diaphram, you could have just pinched the the vacuum line or plugged the vacuum port. Backfiring or hesitation can load some gas into the airbox. How does it run now? Give it a ride tomorrow and see if there is a difference.

Comment

Ready for this....? Gutted the petcock as described before, took it for a 40 mile ride, and poof, runs like her old self without gas in the airbox. Obviously I have to go back and retune the carbs now that the fuel is actually being metered in all cylinders.

And here is the answer to the million dollar question.

Q: How would gas come out of the carb through the petcock vacuum line?
                A: The four screws that hold the back of the petcock were dead loose. When the motor pulled a vacuum on the diafram, it would pull it away from the "gas side" of the assembly and gas would flow straight into the engine just like a stuck float.

Going to put the petcock back together, with the diafram, and see if I still have a problem. I suspect the loose screws were the issue all along.

Once again, you GS guru guys saved the day! Thanks!!!!

Comment

You guys are gooood!

Have you been watching NCIS or DrHouse on TV?
                  McLoud
                  '79 GS850
                  `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                  sigpic
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence McLoud. I'm an old stock car guy. These cv carbs do the same thing as a Holly but they are a completely different animal. They make my brain twitch. With the help of these guys who know these things inside and out, I'm learning.

Thanks again.

Comment

Update. Reinstalled the diafram and tightened the petcock screws. As before, runs good in the shed. Raining out again. Planning on giving it a whirl either this afternoon or tomorow.

Comment

The update

OK, here's the latest update.

Took it out for a ride and still ended up with gas in the airbox.

I am 100% sure the floats/needles are fine. I made a 1 quart bottle with just a gas line at one end and a vent at the other. I hung the bottle over the bike in my shed from the ceiling.( About 5 feet above the carbs for about 45 minuits.) No gas overflow. The floats and needles are fine. I use this bottle to tune the carbs with the tank off.

I took the carbs off and completely apart again. I gave them to my buddie to do a once over on them. (Number one, he works at a Suzuki dealership, number two, remember when Sterling Marlin was kicking everyone's but back in the 80's with the Kodak #4? This guy was doing the carb for that car! So I trust him.) He put them through the ultrasonic cleaner 6 or 7 times. We reassembled,synched, and tuned them. Well, what do you know............ still gas getting into the airbox. And as before, runs nice until the gas starts building up in there.

Back to my valve theory.

I took the motor out of the bike and gave it to my buddie to take the head off and see what he can see. When I took the carbs off to do this I noticed that there was oil in number one carb. The plug for that cylinder was also oil fouled. Cool, there's the answer!!! .....................Well, To my surprize, when he took the head off, nothing real exiting. The only thing he could find was all of the intake valve springs were about 10% under service limit spec.

All of the seat patterns were free of carbon and nice and shiney. He filled the combustion chaimber with gas and checked for leaks, he filled the intake ports with gas and checked for leaks, and he filled the exhaust ports with gas and checked for leaks. NO F-BOMB LEAKS! The valve seals were even sill soft. He checked the cam chain tensioner setup and checked the cam chain for stretch. The cylinder walls don't have one blemish,scratch, nick, bug tird, nothing on them. All looks good.

We're just going to put new valve springs and seals along with all of the gaskets etc on it, put it back together and give it another whirl.

I'm at a loss here fellas................................

Comment

I'd say it's still the petcock. There are mixed results with rebuilding them. I would recommend getting an entire new one.
                          Larry D
                          1980 GS450S
                          1981 GS450S
                          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Sory Larry-d, Didn't post it, but the reason I ended up doing everything in my latest post was because a second test ride with the petcock gutted gave me the same results as all others. Still gas in the airbox.

Comment

If you'r getting weak spark or none at all the fuel fill flow to the air-box.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X