Rotor puller for '79 GS1000.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotor puller for '79 GS1000.

I have one on order. I questioned the parts man because the puller in his book didn't look as long (deep) as the puller in my factory manual. The one in his book clearly stated it was for the GS1000 though.
    At first, he almost ordered one for the 1100's but I saw his error. I decided to go ahead and order the "shorter" one that says for the 1000 but I'm worried it may be the wrong puller and I won't have what I need when I go to change out my starter clutch.
    Can anyone show a pic or give detailed measurements of the puller for my '79 1000? Maybe a positive part number and brand name if you've bought one? Thanks.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

You can use a gs1000 swinging arm pivot bolt and a large socket over the bolt as a slide hammer, as the rotor has the same thread as pivot bolt

Comment

I have a slap hammer. I went to ace hardware, bought a bolt that fits in the flywheel, and a nut that threads on the slap hammer. Welded them together, SLAP!, off came the fywheel.

Comment

I bought the short puller to remove the rotor on my 79GS750E and it was the correct puller. Shortly afterwards a friends GS1000 sheared the starter clutch bolts and I removed his starter clutch and replaced the bolts for him.
        The 8 valve 750 and the 8 valve 1000 use the same puller. Been there done that. The long one fits 1100 and 1150 models and possibly 16 valve 750's.

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
        I have one on order. I questioned the parts man because the puller in his book didn't look as long (deep) as the puller in my factory manual. The one in his book clearly stated it was for the GS1000 though.
        At first, he almost ordered one for the 1100's but I saw his error. I decided to go ahead and order the "shorter" one that says for the 1000 but I'm worried it may be the wrong puller and I won't have what I need when I go to change out my starter clutch.
        Can anyone show a pic or give detailed measurements of the puller for my '79 1000? Maybe a positive part number and brand name if you've bought one? Thanks.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks guys! Earl, that eases my mind. The parts man called last night to say the parts/tool arrived early so I may get to fix my bike before I leave for vacation. If there were just a store that sold extra time to do things...
          I think I'm going to pass on making a tool to hold the rotor and trust that a piece of pipe or a long "axle type" bolt placed through the wheel and accross the swingarm will allow me to loosen and correctly re-torque the center bolt when done. It should work.
          I appreciate the replies.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Back from vacation, just a note to add.
            Sure enough, the "short" puller tool didn't reach the threads. I had to re-order. The correct puller looked just like the one in the factory manual, even though the parts guy said the pic's are sometimes wrong, the pic wasn't wrong in this case. I should have trusted my gut feelings. Parts guys.:roll:
            The "socket" part of the puller that threads onto the rotor threads is nearly 3" long. The inside depth is nearly 2 1/4". I'm not sure how the short puller worked for you Earl.
            My rotor was pretty tight. I tried to be careful and hit the bolt straight on and I used a brass mallet. I STILL managed to bend the pullers bolt a little. Just as I was sure the bolt may bend too much, the rotor came loose. Whew!

Comment

I'm sorry Keith, but I cant explain it either. At the time I replaced the starter clutch on my friends GS1000, I only had the short puller because I ordered it to replace the stator on my 79 GS750. It was a year and a half later that I bought the 1150 and needed the long puller.

Earl

[quote=KEITH KRAUSE
              I'm not sure how the short puller worked for you Earl.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

No need to be sorry Earl. As always, thanks for the reply.
                I have quite a history of being screwed around by lazy/inept/don't care...take your pick, parts guys. For years now, I ask to see everything they look up before they write it down. Then I look at what they wrote down. A few of them have gotten a tad annoyed with me. In this case, the darn part number WAS under GS1000. I saw it. When I went back to re-order, I then saw that there were TWO listings for 1000 pullers. He sold me the one that was under "late model 1000's" and another model or two. The correct puller was under "1100's and 1000's".

Comment

Working...
                X