No announcement yet.

78 GS550 cafe project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much longer is that swingarm over stock? Looks close to the same, but it also looks like the shocks are taller than stock.

Comment

I know it's been a bit but there have been a few updates to the bike. The Vipex springs were way over sprung even for the cb900f. I had them rated and they are 375 lbs/inch progressive to 400; it was basically running a hardtail. So I made up some spacers and threw on a set of snowmobile springs and it rides perfect. Besides the suspension work the exhaust has a new hanger and the front brakes have stainless lines. Its runs all day long without any issues. I went out and did the Slimey Crud Run and rode over 400 miles that day without any problems. The modern tires and brakes let me catch up with sportbikes in the corrners, now if it only had a bit more power...

Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2008, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Nice job on your bike. It's amazing what updated suspension and tires can do for these bikes.

Comment

I was just thinking about this bike the other day. It remains one of my favorite GS builds to date. Glad to see it is still going strong.

Comment

WOW what an amazing job on that project!
            How can I get handle bars like that?! :-D

Comment

They are the ones that fit the GSXR1100 front end.

Comment

78gscafe,
                Just found this...thanks for the link. FANTASTIC work! I wondered how the Vipex shocks were going to be...everyone says that they are brutally stiff. What do you think of their build quality? Also, what is a "torque reactor"?...is that the brake stay arm? Just makin' sure that I'm not missing out on some super-secret new high-tech suspension trick that I need!:-D
                Bitchin' bike! Any plans to install a front fender, or are you going for the sano look?

Color me impressed,:shock:=D>
                -KR

Comment

Wow nice looking 'Fighter bro Excellent work!

Comment

Well the shocks are interesting. I wouldn't say the Canadians know exactly what they are doing. I just replaced the springs with some that are a lot lighter. The ones they give you are 375 lbs/inch progressive to 400. The ones I put on there are 80 lbs/inch. Granted they were intended for a 600+lbs bike and mine is only 440lbs, but still the spring choice is questionable. The shock bodies seem to be nice so far, but I only have about 2000 miles on them. If you have the ability to make some spacers and swap out the springs I think it's still a good deal.

The torque reactor is just the link between the rear brake and the swingarm, which I believe is your brake stay arm.

As of right now there is no front fender in the plans. The plate is there to put one on, but less weight the better.

Comment

Wow, nice build! I like all of the custom touches. Great Job!

Comment

awesome dude!!! awesome!!1

Comment

Where did you get those rear shocks and what are they?

i just started looking for new shocks and those look nice

Comment

Great job man, I totally dig what you've done so far. You've got some great drive and determination. Your fabrication is top notch!
                            I'm doing the same thing with my KZ750 twin, lightness and performance is what I'm after. So far she's weighing in at 365lbs.
                            Seeing yours gets me motivated to finish mine!

Comment

Originally posted by tobiism View Post
                              Great job man, I totally dig what you've done so far. You've got some great drive and determination. Your fabrication is top notch!
                              I'm doing the same thing with my KZ750 twin, lightness and performance is what I'm after. So far she's weighing in at 365lbs.
                              Seeing yours gets me motivated to finish mine!

Man Tob, thats coming along pretty good! I havent been over on the DTT board much lately, so i havent seen it. Looks like its gonna be a handling lil SOB when you get done

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                                Man Tob, thats coming along pretty good! I havent been over on the DTT board much lately, so i havent seen it. Looks like its gonna be a handling lil SOB when you get done
                                Thanks man! I'm pretty stoked on it. Hows that shaftie doing? As much fun as you'd hoped?

Comment

Working...
                                X