A must-have tool for old bikes:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A must-have tool for old bikes:

In searching various things I see a lot of the same commentary on stripped phillips head screws...and stripped/chipped screws in general. An impact driver is your friend, fellows.

Don't attempt to "break" those screws loose by the twist of a hand. When it comes to screws decades old that have likely never been turned after installation, always break them with an impact driver. It will save your screws, and it will save a portion of your sanity.

$6 at harbor freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37530

i second that motion....

i dont have one yet, but i will have one soon.... these are invaluable

Comment

I have one, it's broken though...cheap crap

Comment

if you don't want it to break spend some money on a Craftsman (free replacement) or buy a snap-on or something. I buy the cheap ones because spending $12 a year is acceptable to me (actually the last one I bought has lasted since 2002).

Comment

IMO, expensive or cheap, impact drivers are of limited value. If the metal is too soft to turn the stuck screw, it will strip regardless of what you use on it. Of the dozen or so phillips screws I've removed, only one came out with the Craftsman impact driver.

Drill, extract and replace them right away. Save yourself the grief.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace View Post
            IMO, expensive or cheap, impact drivers are of limited value. If the metal is too soft to turn the stuck screw, it will strip regardless of what you use on it. Of the dozen or so phillips screws I've removed, only one came out with the Craftsman impact driver.

Drill, extract and replace them right away. Save yourself the grief.
            I'm for replacement of weak-headed screws, but the impact driver is worth a try. I've had success with my $6 HF deal on a few dozen stuck screws (though the bits that came with it were too brittle).
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Those phillips screws on the GS are Japanese phillips which are not the same configuration as standard phillips. If you are stripping screw heads, it is because you are using the wrong bits. No impact driver I know of comes with the correct phillips bits for our use. Use the right tool and life gets easier. LOL

Earl
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I'm a big time proponent of an Impact Tool. But forget Harbor Freight- spend a buck or two extra and get one from Sears. Craftsman quality and warranty (although, you will never need the warranty- the tool is completely awesome)

Comment

...I've broken a crafstman. Higher quality, but not bullet-proof.

Comment

I've stripped a few with the impact driver. at least mine were in places where I could lock a large vice grips on them and start them that way. A small bolt out works good but if you don't give it a little extra incentive to start the screw (ie. tapping it on a little with a small hammer, screwdriver handle, etc) it can just spin off the outside of it. I know this because it really upset me the other day when that happened to me. Screw outs would be nice, but I didn't have any on hand.

I really think that HE-MAN tightened all of the bolts/screws on my bike. The manual suggests one thing to torque this stuff down, but I have to use 4x that force to get that stuff off, if not more! damn bolts that have been in place longer than I've been alive!!! lmao

Comment

Ive yet to strip a screw with an impact driver. I HAVE stripped pleanty assuming that *I* with my mighty muscles, could MAKE them come out without breaking out the impact driver. Heh. Lesson learned. Impact driver is a third arm for me now However, I have broken many a tip on those darn things. Damn cheap ones. Maybe i should break down and buy a good one :P

Comment

I think my problem was that I was twisting over on the impact driver a little too far and not allowing the bit to go fully into place before smacking it with my 2lb sledge... (it was the closest hammer to me at the time) After I started making sure that I didn't twist it too far over, it works great!

Comment

Originally posted by Texatl View Post
                          I'm a big time proponent of an Impact Tool. But forget Harbor Freight- spend a buck or two extra and get one from Sears. Craftsman quality and warranty (although, you will never need the warranty- the tool is completely awesome)

I have a craftsman impact thats about 20 years old. It still works
                          as well as it did the day I bought it. heh

Earl
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I've bought lots of stuff from Harbor Freight but would also recommend something more sturdy in terms of an impact driver.

In terms of the tool themselves, I've never stripped a screw using one unless the head was chewed up already. The common bits supplied with the tool bite just fine into Japanese phillips head screws - never had a problem.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i actually got one off ebay that is a little more durable than the one from harbor frieght for $12

Comment

Working...
                              X