Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which oil to use...newbie question from an overwhelmed newbie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which oil to use...newbie question from an overwhelmed newbie!

Hi again everyone....
    First off, i have checked the search section and still haven't found out a definitive answer. It seems like there is a lot of choices...which is tough to sort through for a fella like me...lol.
    I have a 1981 GS1000L, 22000 kms on it...and am eager to due the spring oil change/tune up thing... I have read the specs and it says to use 10w40 SE oil. I went to the dealership, and of course found no oil with the SE rating. They had 2 stacks of 12 pack oil...Suzuki oil and Honda oil...both 10w40. The parts guy said that they are both from the same oil company...he didn't know which one. I asked about the SE rating, and he said that the new oil is just fine for our old bikes. So i bought a case of the Suzuki oil.
    Wanting to sleep tonite...lol...i thought i should check this site for some facts. Now, confused on what to use.
    Shouldn't we use motorcycle specific oil due to the fact that the oil lubes everything VS automobile oil that just lubes the engine??
    I don't think i want the synthetic thing, but not sure. Automotive oil in our bikes?? Not sure about that either. Just want to change the oil with the right oil for my bike....and trust your opinions more than the parts guys.
    Sorry if the topic is beat to death...just looking for some help.
    thx in advance
    Rick

sorry....

Sorry...seems like there is soooooo many threads about this issue...so i am regretting starting another. Looks like there is no best oil...just whatever the rider prefers.

Comment

Just avoid the oils with the energy star rating. The friction modifiers in those oils can cause the clutch to slip.

Comment

Lots of people including myself use Shell Rotella T 15-40 @ $10-12 gal at walmart

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          Lots of people including myself use Shell Rotella T 15-40 @ $10-12 gal at walmart
          That's for the dino oil in the white jug. The Rotella synthetic is in the blue jug and it's about $19 or so for the gallon.

Rick, the general concensus is that you can use automotive oil, just avoid the ones with the "Energy Conserving" label in the API 'donut' on the back. That's actually quite easy to do, as virtually all of the Energy Conserving oils are 10w-30 or lighter. Our bikes use 10w-40 or 20w-50 when it gets warmer.

If you wish to splurge and go synthetic, go to the next aisle in Wal-Mart and get the Rotella in the blue jug. It's a 5w-40 oil and made for trucks, so it has more of the ingredients that keep our bikes happy, too.

Oh, and change your filter every time you change the oil. If you are careful, you can re-use the o-ring on the filter cover a couple of times, but it's good to have one on hand, just in case.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I run motorcraft 15-40... you get 5 quarts in a jug and my bike along with Roadrash's has shifted smoother running Motorcraft 15-40.

Comment

Hi,

What's oil?

What are those round black things on either end of my motorcycle?

Are my pipe thingys too loud?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thx guys...but what about the decrease in the zinc levels in the new rotella T 15-40? I use an oil additive to bump up the zinc levels with the Rotella 15-40 in my vintage vehicles...should a person due the same for the bike motors?

Comment

That's one advantage of the Rotella synthetic in the blue jug. It has higher zinc levels for the loads that trucks put on the oil.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    That's one advantage of the Rotella synthetic in the blue jug. It has higher zinc levels for the loads that trucks put on the oil.

All the diesel oils have less zinc in it since the CJ-4 standard was adopted vs. the old CI-4 Plus formula, blue jug Rotella included. Even with the new standard though, diesel engine oil has more zinc than auto oils, and more than most motorcycle oils as well. I'm of the belief that motorcycle oils are significantly overpriced for what you get. Diesel oil is perfectly adequate, or even preferred, in many cases.
                    Last edited by Nessism; 04-10-2009, 12:36 AM.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      All the diesel oils have less zinc in it since the CJ-4 standard was adopted vs. the old CI-4 Plus type. Blue jug Rotella included. Even with the new standard though, diesel engine oil has more zinc than auto oils, and more than most motorcycle oils as well. I'm of the belief that motorcycle oils are significantly overpriced for what you get. Diesel oil is perfectly adequate, or even preferred, in many cases.
                      Hey Nessism, just checked out your bikes. Very Very nice. Nice paint
                      HH

Comment

Originally posted by HammerHead View Post
                        Hey Nessism, just checked out your bikes. Very Very nice. Nice paint
                        HH
                        Thanks Hammer. You've got yourself quite the collection, if all those bikes in your signature are still in your possession.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                        X