1983 GS1100/GS1150 Oil Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100/GS1150 Oil Cooler

I have an oil cooler on my 1983 GS1100E. Is this a stock add-on or has someone tapped the front cover?

Here is a pic of the cooler. Anybody know what kind it is? Does it have a thermostat;? Where is the thermostat located?

It seems to be a reasonably clean installation. I was planning or disassembing, cleaning, painting and replacing the teflon tape. Any comments suggestions?

TIA

Posplayr

Looks like an 1150 one adapted in. The pickup points were always there on the motor, the hoses are different to the stock 1150 ones however.
    There is no thermostat however. whilst you have the filter cover off check if you have the correct cover or not, i.e like the lower cover in the pic not the upper one.

Dink

Comment

Cover

The cover looks like the upper and doesn't have the hole as shown in the lower. What is the issue with that. Isnt the upper one the stock 1983 GS1100E?

Comment

Yes the upper is the stock 1100E one, but for the cooler to actually need the other cover; off an 1150 BTW, with the stock cover the oil just by-passes straight to the oil filter, any flow to the cooler would be negligible.

Dink

Comment

The difference is that the 1100E cover allows all the oil to flow to the filter. The 1150 cover forces the oil to flow through the cooler; the groove is for a small amount to flow to the filter in case the cooler becomes clogged.
          You can buy a new 1150 cover from Bike Bandit for about $30.

Comment

You will notice a nice change after the filter cap is replaced. I have one set aside for when I get the time to put my new cooler on.

Comment

Boy I'm really glad I asked

Well I would really like to make that black thinggy majigout out front functional and actually get some oil flow through it LOL \\/.

This is the part right?????

Suzuki 1984 GS1150ESE
              10: CAP,ENG OIL FIL
              485625-001

I also see the striking resemblence between the 1984 oil cooler and mine ....

Thanks for the Info guys.

Posplayr
              Last edited by posplayr; 01-26-2008, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I use a stock 1100 filter cover and blocked that left bottom port. I have an extra one made by Derale if you would like it for shipping only.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X