stud size needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stud size needed

i have an 83 suzuki gs650gl with a small problem, i am losing oil thru the filter cover. my studs are wrecked and in an attempt not to have this happen ever again.( i didnt wreck them mind you, just bought her and for 400.00 im not bitchin.) I am wondering if anyone knows the stud size where it threads into the jug. im thinking of just moving up a size and tapping out the jug and making them into 1/4-20 shcs. since theres three triangulated and under pressure i can see where this would happen. I just figure why have to worry about it ever again, i know the next guy who may own her when im done may appreciate it. all i shoud have to do is make sure i dont go too deep and use a bottoming tap. then just pick up 3 stainless socket head cap screws in 1/4-20 that will be long enough to go through cap and into jug about 3/8 inch, so based on what im looking at im not thinking more than 1 inchers, with a belleville washer. I mean i could just take the damn thing off and use a screw pitch guage but i figure **** ill ask first and tear it apart when i can put it right back together with the right information. in other words im being lazy.......hahahha

Welcome to the forum.

Wouldn't the cap screws eventually chew those threads out of the soft aluminum? You may find that replacement studs may be the better choice in the long run.

Mike

Comment

Do not use a bolt there. The engine aluminum is not strong enough for a repetetive use bolt there. To save a lot of trouble in the long run, replace the studs with stainless ones, or grade 8 if you can find them. If you use a bolt you'll gall out the aluminum and end up drilling and tapping for a larger bolt and that's more trouble than it's worth.

I miss my Shadow's spin-on oil filter, $4 from Wal-Mart. (Apparently the same filter as some small Honda cars)

Comment

Replace the studs with new 6mm studs. You can find them at any real hardware store (not at a "big box"). You can even get stainless steel studs from McMaster-Carr http://mcmaster.com .

For the love of all that's good and holy, DON'T just hog out the holes and put in inch size hardware. Why on earth would you want to do this?

There's nothing worse than a bike booby-trapped with inch hardware...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X