Pods with Factory Restriction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pods with Factory Restriction

was toolin' on my buddies bike the other day, he has a 81 yamaha 850...
    he put K&N pods on his bike because he loved the look, so do i...

looking around QUITE a bit, we discovered that they DO NOT make any sort of re-jet kit for his bike. forgetting a "kit" they dont even make any different sized jets for his bike...
    so we are waiting to get the motor back together to see if it runs inpractically lean...

Heres my question: why dont they make pod filters that have a factory air restriction? i know pods and velocity stacks are typically intended for "performance" applications. but dont you think K&N pods or even EMGO pods that have a factory air restriction (no rejetting needed) would sell like crazy!?

i know i would buy a set...

No such pods exist, although I suspect you could wrap them with something to block the airflow.

Any time you mod the fuel system it's best to check the jetting by performing plug chops. The engine could be running lean, which means hot, even though it seems to run well. A hot engine will reduce service life significantly. Please don't make this mistake.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Restricting the air flow coming through the pods would IMHO only partly cure the issue.
      As many of us know it takes carefull tuning to get a bike to operate correcly with pods because it's the dynamic nature of the airflow that matters.
      Simply restricting the flow will not reproduce the intricate airflow that occurs with the OEM air box and filter...
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

You could increase the the jets size by drilling them you would need a number drill set and carefully drill them by hand one step at a time till it's running correctly
        sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
        1994 gsxr1100w
        1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

What kind of carbs are on it? I am sure sudco would have jets to fit the carbs regardless of what model bike they are on.

Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
          2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

I've had good luck with these guys, although I realized after the fact that Z1 had the factory jets I needed cheaper than jetsrus had the generics.

You can definitely find jets for the bike. If a shim or clip adjustments to the needle won't fix your mid range, you'll have to go needle hunting. I've been through my fair share of that with an odd-ball honda(actually had a factory recall in 82 for the stock needles being too lean but the owner never knew and honda didn't make the needles anymore). Found two cool shops that let me rifle through bins of odd carb bits. The clip style rummage bin needles fixed the 4K lean spot on that 450 while not making it too rich like the really skinny ones on the far right. Even at WOT I had to drop down the mains a little bit though until I switch her to pods.

edit: didn't have the best lighting, but this gives you an idea of some of the needles floating around my collection at the time:
            Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2012, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post
              You could increase the the jets size by drilling them you would need a number drill set and carefully drill them by hand one step at a time till it's running correctly
              Won't bother mentioning what a PAIN that will be later, trying to remember what size jets are in there, or the FRUSTRATION of a subsequent owner trying to figure out what jets are in there, so I will just offer this: buying a few sets of jets is cheaper than most numbered drill sets I have seen. Z1 has Mikuni jets for $1.75 each. Yep, $7.00 for the set of four.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I had the same exact question about pods and even wrote an email to K+N about it. They said it was not something they are interested in. Since then I have learnt that there is more to it than just air restriction. The airbox apparently has a resonant frequency which helps engine torque while the cylinders are in between providing power or something... Anyway I reckon more restrictive factory spec pods sound like a really good idea. I'd buy 'em.

Comment

Why not just print some pod filter profiles from your computer with a black background and tape them to the side of your airbox....just messing around, the Suzuki's and Kaws don't take kindly to messing with the air flow, some have had success, but not without a lot of trial and error and some cases a lot of aggravation and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Well I got halfway to your idea. I took off the chrome panels on my airbox and powdercoated the side covers texture black. To finish the faux pod look I intend to remove the airbox altogether and install my K+N pods. I reckon they'll look very convincing.

:-)

Comment

I love being able to drive to Sudco <3

Comment

I chopped up the factory airbox and then went back and restricted flow till driving was right. I got rid of more than 2/3rds of the factory box and it runs great all the way up to 11k. did the plug chop and good to go.

I would assume that doing the same to pods would be just as effective.

Comment

i dont think it would be to bad if he has the stock exhaust, since the stock exhaust will be the flow factor, there should be jets for those carbs, i dont remember them off hand i had 2 sets i still think they suck

bike isnt really a bad bike, 850 triple? shafty? you shouldnt have to much problems with them

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Won't bother mentioning what a PAIN that will be later, trying to remember what size jets are in there, or the FRUSTRATION of a subsequent owner trying to figure out what jets are in there, so I will just offer this: buying a few sets of jets is cheaper than most numbered drill sets I have seen. Z1 has Mikuni jets for $1.75 each. Yep, $7.00 for the set of four.

+1

I really dont under stand why you would put pods on a stock set up just for looks. I bought a bike that way and it ran like crap! Re-jetted up one on the mains and its better but still not like it should be.

If you really want pods for the looks round up an old Yoshi or something and do it right..just my .02

Comment

Working...
                            X