How hot can these bikes get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hot can these bikes get?

I rebuilt the upper of my 82 gs1100gl this past winter. When I first got it running again I seemed to feel the heads getting much hotter than normal. A mechanic I know checked over what I had done, adjusted the valves and synced the carbs. All in all the bike is running well but the heads get extremley hot. Even when cruising I can feel blasts of heat coming up. My plugs look fine. When hot I noticed slight bubbles/foam in the oil site glass on top of the oil. It disappeared when cooling down. I feel that the oil has thinned out (viscosity breakdown) in about 500 miles due to the heat. The engine still runs well when hot ( no pinging etc that I would expect if it were overheating). These engines are such work horses though that they probably can still pound out through anything.
    Any ideas or thoughts? I'm worried about some long trips I'm planning.
    Thanks.....
    Eddie V

I put on alot of miles on the almost last day of a 4 day trip. When I stopped for gas in the evening, my leg brushed the metal emblem off the side of the engine. The glue that held the plate on had gotten hot and melted.

Took a long break and changed my planned destination.
    j

Comment

What plugs and gap are you running? Believe it or not, spark plugs play a big role in heat transfer on air-cooled engines. Run the factory recommended plug, preferably NGK, and try a 32 gap.

Also, have you verified the timing? That can affect things. Also, I'd highly recommend running an oil cooler if you're not already. If your oil is breaking down due to heat, all your hard work and money isn't going to last long at all.

The last thing I would recommend is taking out your oil pump and checking the tolerances and make sure it's not worn. Maybe the oil isn't circulating fast enough to cool.

No chance it's running lean, is there?

Comment

Originally posted by eddiev View Post
        I rebuilt the upper of my 82 gs1100gl this past winter. When I first got it running again I seemed to feel the heads getting much hotter than normal. A mechanic I know checked over what I had done, adjusted the valves and synced the carbs. All in all the bike is running well but the heads get extremley hot. Even when cruising I can feel blasts of heat coming up. My plugs look fine. When hot I noticed slight bubbles/foam in the oil site glass on top of the oil. It disappeared when cooling down. I feel that the oil has thinned out (viscosity breakdown) in about 500 miles due to the heat. The engine still runs well when hot ( no pinging etc that I would expect if it were overheating). These engines are such work horses though that they probably can still pound out through anything.
        Any ideas or thoughts? I'm worried about some long trips I'm planning.
        Thanks.....
        Eddie V
        Once again, some folks seem to prefer to worry about their GS bikes rather than enjoy them. There was another thread yesterday about a fellow with a GS1100GK worrying about taking a 2,000-mile trip in the heat of the day while doing 85 mph. Some of us mentioned to him that we worry about him making the trip OK, rather than worry about the GK making the trip.

Yes, these engines are workhorses and they can pound out through anything, just as you say. If your intellect tells you that, then why let a silly emotion called "fear" take over your potential decision-making? If your bike is well maintained, has fresh oil and filter, then don't worry -- be happy. If the engine still runs well when hot and does not ping, then what the heck are you worried about? Just go.

You should take those long trips you're planning, but worry about yourself more than about the bike in the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post

Also, I'd highly recommend running an oil cooler if you're not already. If your oil is breaking down due to heat, all your hard work and money isn't going to last long at all.
          I don't. We had a thread about oil coolers yesterday. In my opinion, based on many years on GS850's and a GK, they are not needed and are more trouble than they're worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
            I don't. We had a thread about oil coolers yesterday. In my opinion, based on many years on GS850's and a GK, they are not needed and are more trouble than they're worth.
            Agreed.

But as noted above, is there any chance your bike is running lean? Does the idle speed change more than a couple hundred RPM between hot and cold? Any backfiring?

What do the plugs look like? Nice and tan, or white and glazed? This is the biggest indicator of how it's running. Wait till it cools off, pull out the plugs and take a look.

Is the airbox sealed correctly? Any other leaks in the intake system?

I'd pull out the plugs to see if it's running lean. If it is, the most probable culprit is that the airbox end caps and the air filter need to be sealed.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

While part of me agrees with Grandpa and Bwinger, I think that an oil cooler is a good idea on air cooled bikes. The problem is not normal riding but rather stop and go riding in high ambient conditions where oil temps can increase above the comfort point. All the second generation GG bikes have oil coolers from stock so Suzuki obviously recognized a positive benefit as well. Unfortunately, many of the early GS bikes use roller bearing cranks and thus the oil pump is very low pressure which is not the best arrangement for using an aftermarket add-on oil cooler kit. For this reason I think using synthetic oil is a good idea for hot weather riding since it holds up better than dino in abusive conditions.

Just my opinion of course…but a considered one.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I agree with you, Nessism, about using synthetic oil, particularly in hot weather. I use Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W-40, in the blue bottles, year round.

At this time of year I change it and the filter every 2K miles.

If my high-mileage GK continues to run so reliably, even after all those summers of hot running, and no oil cooler, then such addition is not needed.

Comment

I currently run reg Rotella oil in my 850. When I get my new (GS1000) motor transplant done (top end rebuild) - I will use strictly synthetic oil.

Comment

Originally posted by eddiev View Post
                    seemed to feel. All in all the bike is running well. I can feel blasts of heat coming up. My plugs look fine. When hot I noticed slight bubbles/foam in the oil site glass on top of the oil. It disappeared when cooling down. I feel that the oil has thinned out (viscosity breakdown) in about 500 miles due to the heat. Eddie V
                    You appear to be having an emotional relationship with this bike.

If you planned on having an emotional/permanent relationship with it you should first give it a name.

If you didn't plan on having an emotional/permanent relationship with it you should flog the crap out of it until it says: "Bang my gears!! Ride my clutch!! Oh Baby!!"

OR you should have bought a new bike with a warrantee and called the toll free number when it took a ****.

So you actually put it on the center stand and looked for bubbles in the sight glass? Wow!!

The last time I saw "Bubbles" she was giving me a lap dance after I rode my old bike all afternoon, parked it on the hot asphalt with a woody underneath the kickstand to keep it up. Keeping it up is a real problem with old things.

Relax. You all ready know how to rebuild the thing. That's way more than I know. I only know how to smile:-D

Comment

We had a thread about oil coolers yesterday. In my opinion, based on many years on GS850's and a GK, they are not needed and are more trouble than they're worth.
                      I'll just chime in, since I'm having troubles with a leaking valve cover and suspect leaking oil cooler. My bike runs well up to 270F without the oil cooler in place. When installed, I see oil temps just a smidge over 210F.

I'd say that's fairly substantial....but not really an issue if you're using good synthetic oil.

~Adam

Comment

I would love to know where to by rotella in
                        canada

Comment

"Flesh searing hot" is typical (I kinda like the heat on early spring or autumn rides). 79 GS1000 with 89000km without major work......Rotella T 15W40.....will still go 100 (no, not kmh) quite easily thanks (can't resist sometimes).

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                            Once again, some folks seem to prefer to worry about their GS bikes rather than enjoy them. There was another thread yesterday about a fellow with a GS1100GK worrying about taking a 2,000-mile trip in the heat of the day while doing 85 mph. Some of us mentioned to him that we worry about him making the trip OK, rather than worry about the GK making the trip.

Yes, these engines are workhorses and they can pound out through anything, just as you say. If your intellect tells you that, then why let a silly emotion called "fear" take over your potential decision-making? If your bike is well maintained, has fresh oil and filter, then don't worry -- be happy. If the engine still runs well when hot and does not ping, then what the heck are you worried about? Just go.

You should take those long trips you're planning, but worry about yourself more than about the bike in the heat.
                            ya just ride it and dont worry about it till the motor burns up
                            ya check for lean condition plugs should be medum to dark brown not clean as new or black

Comment

I have a difficult time figuring out what you're trying to say, 82gs1100. I suppose punctuation and capitalization are only important to old fogeys like me.

:-D

Comment

Working...
                              X