Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh no! Tha Clam bike has an electrical short!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh no! Tha Clam bike has an electrical short!!

Ahhh shizzz

I noticed over the winter I poped the 10A T/S circut fuse. So last night I get my new sprockets all on the bike, and I am psyched, and ready for a quick ride up the street. I slip in the new fuse, fire the bike up, all seems well, I go in the house, suit up for a quick ride, come back out, I have no instrument panel lights, and my fron T/S's are out! Ahhh Fu%$^ng ayyyy. Sure enough I blew the fuse again. I am going to try and isolate this issue more in depth tonight. Man I HATE trying to chase a short!!! I might just bring it up to the shop and let my Suzuki guru Jay have at it. He can probably find my short in like 15 min or so (same scenario will take me a week of scratching my head and blowing a dozen fuses in the process)! Any comments on a similar experience? Thanks,
    Rich

I Would Try And Disconnect The Turn Signals And See If It Happened Again.the Only Similar Experience I Had Was With A Yamaha And It Was Pinhole In One Of The Coils.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Is the horn on that circuit also. I had a horn wire get on the pipe and short out blowing the signal fuse. You know the horn is hot wired and grounds through the switch, so it'll short anytime not just when the buttons pushed. LOL!

Comment

Rich, once these bikes start having electrical problems, they are dumpster food. How much you want for the bodywork on that junker?
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
          Rich, once these bikes start having electrical problems, they are dumpster food. How much you want for the bodywork on that junker?
          Nice try spanky. You can have the bodywork for $3K, I will even throw in a fried wire harnass.

I found the short. Man was my bike doing WIERD stuff. The fuse would pop whenever the T/S were cancelling. The bike would behave normal without the engine running. Once started, severall electrical issues would surface. get this...... once running, I could NOT turn the bike off with the key! I would put the key to the off position, and the engine would stay running, and all the instrument lights would go dim, but visable. Current was somehow backfeeding the ignition. So I open up the headlight/ rats nest and aftersome poking around, there was the problem, an ugly melted/corroded connector.

The White/ red jumper wire was the source of the fry. It has a good amount of corrosion down inside the connector. The White/red wire cooked, and burned to the gray jumper wire also, hence all my current crazyness. I am just thankfull I didn't cook the main harnass worse! I performed some brain surgery to the Clam bike, and all is good again.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2007, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Glad you got it solved! And what, in one day? \\/

Comment

Glad you're back on the road. Man! That is one gorgeous bike you have!

Comment

Originally posted by denydog View Post
                Glad you got it solved! And what, in one day? \\/
                I actually realized I had a serious short Tue. night when I tried to go for a ride, and had no instrument lights. It was 73 dergees Thur, so it was SO nice working in my garage again!!!!!!!!!!

Now I hear New England might get hit with a snow storm Fri. night ???? WT friggin F$%k !!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? This is just WRONG.

Comment

Working...
                X