Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been doing some painting on the Fizzy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Does not even look like the same bike.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's rattle can done right.People underestimate how good a rattle can job can turnout given the proper prep.That's the difference between this job and the bad ones

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words. It just adds to the good feeling I already have from it turning out as good as it did. Much appreciated. The only difference between rattle cans and a paint gun, as far as I can see, is the propellent used and the quality of the spray pattern. I guess there can also be a difference in shade between one can and another, but I don't think I had that problem....at least as far as you can really tell. These pictures, however, do hide the imperfections that do exist in this job. There were times when the nozzle on the can (mostly the blue) would start to clog up and then start to spit globs of paint instead of the nice pattern. I did my best to hide those by just spraying more paint on top of them, but you will find them if you look hard enough at the bike in person. Also, as long as you put on enough clear to where you can do enough wet-sanding to get the surface smooth enough, the imperfections tend to go away. I'm sure that if I had use of a professional spray gun and spray booth, I would have saved myself a ton of work, but the end result is not far off from what I think I could have accomplished. All in all, I am grinning like a possum every time I go out in the garage.
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

This is great work! Really looks nice man. Inspiring me to try some 2-tone on my gas tank next spring. I just finished restoring and painting my side covers using the same paint as you (different color, but no 2-tone), and I'm happy with the results. On the tank I may try to do some stripes or something, maybe white or gold.

Thanks for the post!

Comment

The blue, to me, seems to highlight the chrome and other 'silver' bits much more attractively than the black.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                The blue, to me, seems to highlight the chrome and other 'silver' bits much more attractively than the black.
                That's what I was thinking too. With black it was more of a contrast. With blue, it's more of a blend.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                  That's what I was thinking too. With black it was more of a contrast. With blue, it's more of a blend.
                  I think it also highlights the shape of the bike better too as the black can get lost in the shadow, so you loose definition.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                    Blue is the best color for a bike

Comment

Hopefully when i rattle can my bike it will look just as good. Im going to follow your step by step just to makes sure that its as good or pretty close Looks amazing,, and that blue is just awesome

Comment

Working...
                      X