Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kawasaki Twinpot Brake Modification - who wants parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kawasaki Twinpot Brake Modification - who wants parts?

So following on from 8tracks post http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=98098 I have developed a set of brackets to be used with these late 80's early 90's twinpots & the GS550 larger rotor.

I was trying to find a modern rotor that would also work but no joy as yet, the closest is a rare Honda beast but in the end the rotor turned out to be just a few mm too big! Still searching.

Anyway, see below pics (ignore "temporary bolts" & washer stacks) I need to find a source of decent 45mm fine thread 10mm x 1.25mm bolts. Stock are 40mm & whilst you could use them with threadlock I wanted to go on the side of caution. I didn't cut these as I find fine thread is a pain to put a "lead" on but I will if I have to.

The bracket & spacer is Aluminium or Aluminum for those that speak American

The bracket is 8mm thick & this one has been powder coated silver as it was what the factory was running & easier than polishing. They could be powder black or raw or even polished but they do have to be all the same (sorry I sound like Henry Ford!)

These have enough tolerance in them (I believe) to allow for any minor manufacturing tolerances that Suzuki may have had but without compromising strength.

I could have had a fancy triangulated pattern put in them but I figured the minimal weight saving wasn't worth the extra cost.

This conversion cost around 50 bucks (2 disks from Ebay & a set of calipers). The Suzuki dual piston MC works fine with them, it's the same 5/8" bore as the Kawasaki one that comes with these brakes.

The brackets use a spacer as to make them 1 piece billet is not economical for manufacture, it would double the price at least, probably treble it for no performance & minimal "bling" gain (it's hidden after all). The bracket is also Aluminium.

This is on my new skunk so first test ride will be this week but I posted here in anticipation of a trip I am making in a couple of weeks... I could bring some back to save the freight.

The good news is that total cost should be around $20 per side plus shipping ($40 total plus shipping).

Bad news is I need a reasonable qty (say 50 - 100 sets) & to transport them myself to get this price.

PJ, if you could help me put this one OLDSKOOL that would be great, I have a friend coming in July who can transport to GB or USPS post is not that expensive (& $40 in ££ is about less than a good curry right now).

I can supply these, what you do with them is your business, I make no claims that they are road legal, in any way DOT tested or anything else.

I'm not looking to make a lot of money from this, 8track will get a set at cost or less for doing the initial work & I can honestly take it or leave it. I have a couple of sets for my bikes already.....

Far superior brakes, bolt on, with minimal hassle for less than 100 bucks! (Many modern enduro & cruiser type bikes use very similar calipers to this but SINGLE SIDED! They should be good!

Let me know what you think......

Dan

One set please
    60.00%
    Two sets please
    12.00%
    Three sets please
    4.00%
    Four sets please
    0%
    Five sets please
    2.00%
    Don't be silly you crazy Englishman!
    22.00%
    Last edited by salty_monk; 05-13-2008, 03:18 PM.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Brackets

Salty, If you get enough interest to run a batch of the brackets I would like to get a set. Let me know how it works out. Looks like a great way to update our brakes without spending a lot of cash.
      80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Nice Job

Reading you description this is a well thoughtout engineered solution all aspects considered. :-D Those look plenty strong. \\/ Both my bikes are already double potted otherwise I would go for a set. You cant beat the price.

Posplayr

Comment

I would be in for two sets. Finish on the final product isn't important to me one way or the other.

Thanks
          Tracy

Comment

Good job Salty! :-D
            Just so you guys know, I've been running this brake set up for almost two years. It really does work well. I've never had a problem with it..

One hint for the new swappers: Lower your rear brake pedal a bit. You won't need much of it anymore. :twisted:

Comment

If I have sufficient interest I'll bring them back with me the end of this month, making them available early June.

Thinking more about it, maybe a brushed finish is the way forward (similar to the stock suzuki cases). That way people can polish them, leave them brushed or coat them black/silver if they want to without having to worry about the original coating.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I'd definitely be interested.

Comment

Saw Dan's bike on Sunday and can verify these parts look very professional. Since the disc's are larger than a typical GS1k disc, the stopping power should be outstanding.

Thumbs up from me. Oh, and put me down for a set while your at it Dan.

Ed
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

5 so far then in 1 day, not bad... I need about 20-30 to feel happy that I'm going to get my money back.

I think they will likely sell quite well through Ebay..

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I'd be up for some of these brackets, definitely.

Can you just clarify which discs and calipers you have used with them, so I can go scour ebay uk

Comment

Originally posted by Headphase View Post
                        I'd be up for some of these brackets, definitely.

Can you just clarify which discs and calipers you have used with them, so I can go scour ebay uk
                        The rotor needs to be off of a GS that only had a single front disk.
                        (they are larger. 300mm)
                        Not sure which UK models had the single disk.
                        On the US models, the 78 to 80 GS550 mag or spoke rim would be the most common.
                        Over here the GS's that used the spoke rims all had the single disk so the disk from a '78 GS750, '79 GS750 '78 GS1000 '79 GS1000 will work as well. (It's the same disk used on the 550)

This is the list of the Kawasaki models that used this caliper.
                        The ones in red should be easy to find.
                        EX 250 Ninja 1988 to 2007 (single caliper on right side)
                        EX 500 Ninja 1994 to 2007 (single caliper on right side)
                        ZL 600 B1 Eliminator 1995 to 1996
                        ZR 550 B1/B2/B3 Zephyr 1990 1992 1993
                        ZX 600 C1-C9 Ninja 600 R 1988 to 1996
                        ZR 750 C1/C2/C3 1991 to 1993
                        ZX 750 F1/F2/F3/F4 Ninja 1987 to 1990
                        ZG 1000 A9-A20 Concours 1994 to 2006
                        ZX 1000 B1/B2/B3 Ninja ZX10 1988 to 1990
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2008, 09:14 AM.

Comment

I'm in for a set. Already have the calipers.

Comment

Will these work on my 1980 750E?

If so I would like a set.

Comment

Originally posted by doug g View Post
                              Will these work on my 1980 750E?

If so I would like a set.
                              While I haven't tried it, I feel sure that it would work.

Comment

Working...
                              X