Oversized Drain Plug to long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oversized Drain Plug to long

So I came out to my bike this AM and my stripped drain plug was leaking pretty bad, nice little puddle.

So I went and got a M14 - 1.50 Oversized Drain Plug. It was a bit longer than my stock plug, and I do not have a grinding tool here with me to shave it down. I installed it and it really stopped my leak and fit in perfect and snug. Should I be concerned? If it is 1-2 cm. longer than the stock one is it going to touch anything inside?

I will remove my pan in a few weeks and figure out a better long term solution, but is it ok to ride?

I don't recall if the extra length was going to cause any interference or not in my case. I didn't want to take any chances so I ground it down.

Comment

It should be fine

Comment

the longer plug wont touch anything but i would be concerned about the oil thats going to remain at the bottom of the pan at the oil change
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          the longer plug wont touch anything but i would be concerned about the oil thats going to remain at the bottom of the pan at the oil change
          I don't think he used an insert.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            I don't think he used an insert.
            in which case i think he should have no issues
            GS850GT

Comment

No insert! Thanks guys!!

Comment

For future reference, the "normal" drain plug thread diameter and pitch is 14mm X 1.25mm, not 14 X 1.5.

This is the same thread size as a spark plug, so it's pretty easy to find inserts if you ever want to remove the drain pan and have it fixed right. Just don't fart around with a HeliCoil -- have a shop install a solid insert. (It's cheaper to have a good shop install an insert than to buy the kit to DIY.)

Since the threads on yours were boogered up anyway, the 14 X 1.5 won't do any harm. If it's working for you, ride on!

It would have to be realllllly long to hit anything.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  For future reference, the "normal" drain plug thread diameter and pitch is 14mm X 1.25mm, not 14 X 1.5.

This is the same thread size as a spark plug, so it's pretty easy to find inserts if you ever want to remove the drain pan and have it fixed right. Just don't fart around with a HeliCoil -- have a shop install a solid insert. (It's cheaper to have a good shop install an insert than to buy the kit to DIY.)

Since the threads on yours were boogered up anyway, the 14 X 1.5 won't do any harm. If it's working for you, ride on!

Great, I looked for 1.25 pitch, but 1.5 is really the only one you'll find at a part shop around these parts..

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

so a spark plug thread chaser would work to clean threads on the oil pan, if so, good to know...

Comment

I thought they were the same... so a 14mm spark plug thread chase can be used on a drain plug as well. Good info.

Comment

Working...
                      X