GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by runrx02 View Post
    04 gsxr750 arm on a 79 gs1000. Like i said, i hope it works but i had to offset the hole on mine. Perhaps your arm has different dimensions @ the pivot point
    Got a recent pic? You, Johnnay and I are all in the middle of the monoshock conversion.

Comment

sure...

Comment

here's a pic of the swingarm/motor clearance

Comment

This project is EXACTLY what I'm looking to do. Glad to see someone with the same vision as me.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            This project is EXACTLY what I'm looking to do. Glad to see someone with the same vision as me.
            What kind of bike do you have and what are you planning on doing with it?

Comment

Forgive my ignorance on this one; GSXR front end, GSXR rear end, but a GS frame and motor? Would it not be easier (and better performing) to just get a GSXR and modify that?

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed following this thread and I like cruising on my GS so I can totally appreciate your work. However, I just wonder if your workmanship might be better served working on a better bike to begin with, something that is more of a classic or little less pedestrian.

Either way, keep going and thanks for all the pics. My GS is stock, and that is the way I will keep it since I have no machining/mechanical skills but it is fun to see what other people can do.

Comment

I had to grind my cases down a wee bit - basically just took off the bolt bulges & gained enough clearance that way. Are all you guys using the centerstand mount as is or relocating it a bit by rotating? I'm still not sure on that one, as I've seen both ways done.

Comment

Originally posted by vrecksler View Post
                  Forgive my ignorance on this one; GSXR front end, GSXR rear end, but a GS frame and motor? Would it not be easier (and better performing) to just get a GSXR and modify that?

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed following this thread and I like cruising on my GS so I can totally appreciate your work. However, I just wonder if your workmanship might be better served working on a better bike to begin with, something that is more of a classic or little less pedestrian.

Either way, keep going and thanks for all the pics. My GS is stock, and that is the way I will keep it since I have no machining/mechanical skills but it is fun to see what other people can do.
                  See here.

Originally posted by johnnay

I had to grind my cases down a wee bit - basically just took off the bolt bulges & gained enough clearance that way. Are all you guys using the centerstand mount as is or relocating it a bit by rotating? I'm still not sure on that one, as I've seen both ways done.
                  I have enough clearance as-is with respect to the pivot and the engine cases even when rotating the swingarm up about 4-6" to simulate shock travel. Maybe the Gixxer thou swingarm has different dimensions than the 600-750 swinger?

Centerstand looks like it'll stay put where it is for mounting the lower shock pivot from mocking it up for dimensions.

Comment

cool. Why did you go with the new lower linkage bushing? Why not just enlarge the mount holes to 12mm??

Comment

Originally posted by johnnay View Post
                      cool. Why did you go with the new lower linkage bushing? Why not just enlarge the mount holes to 12mm??
                      Did you take your mount holes out to 12 mm?

Leaving them be for strength mostly. Increasing the mount holes to 12 mm will weaken their ability to support a load proportionately. This is an area where strength is crucial for obvious reasons.

Still toying with the idea of fabbing up a lower shock mount that's basically a replica of the actual GSXR 1000 lower shock mount, then welding it to the centerstand cross-spar, which is itself a beefy piece of steel with two hefty welds connecting it to the frame. Then we'd maybe cut off the old centerstand mounts. If we stay with using the centerstand brackets, probably will have a new VERY strong bolt fabbed up, same hardened steel as they make 10.9 rated or stronger bolts from.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2007, 11:38 AM.

Comment

i removed the center stand mounts and fabbed up a pair that are a little stronger, then i gusseted the cross bar a little bit. not that pretty, but should get the job done.

Comment

How thick are those linkage mounts? Looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                            How thick are those linkage mounts? Looking good!
                            thanks. the mounts are 1/8" thick. i prefer them over the centerstand mounts because of the semi-boxed shape |_| should be plenty strong.

Comment

Originally posted by runrx02 View Post
                              thanks. the mounts are 1/8" thick. i prefer them over the centerstand mounts because of the semi-boxed shape |_| should be plenty strong.

Makes sense. What kind of steel did you use?

Comment

don't really know. stopped by a local fab shop and asked if they had any 1/8" steel plate scraps, and they gave me a couple of large pieces for 15 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X