No announcement yet.

Project GS1000 with GS1100G D-Port Head, 1100G Cylinder & Mikuni RS34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install new copper washers because they are only good once. NOTE: You can use the GS1000 tach drive in the GS1100G head. Suzuki P/N's are different but they are interchangeable . . . whew

Here is the other side.

Next I torque things down per Suzuki OEM specs . . . 65 Ft Lbs or so.
    Didn't replace any cylinder studs either

Important: I used the GS1000 cam chain tensioner components, everything from the tensioner to the piece between the cams and the piece that slides down in front of the exhaust cam. Here is the Andrew S1 exhaust cam buttoned down
    Last edited by srsupertrap; 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM.
    Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Hope that 65 ft-lbs comment was a test Steve. Factory spec is 27 ft-lbs.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Hope that 65 ft-lbs comment was a test Steve. Factory spec is 27 ft-lbs.
        Ed, Thanks for setting me straight its torqued to 27 ft-lbs. Oops, going by memory which is a bad thing.
        Steve

Comment

I drop in the other Andrews Cam and another unknown question is revealed. . . The GS1000 S1-S3 & GS1100G heads S-5 & S-6 are dimensionally the same, i.e. If the 1100G Head cam bearing surfaces were higher or lower than the GS1000 same surfaces this swap would not work as I have illustrated.

Note the assembly lube on cam surface

Button up the Intake Cam and all the cam sprocket index marks line up perfectly with 20 pins between #2 & #3
          Starting to look like something

Last edited by srsupertrap; 10-25-2011, 10:24 PM.
          Steve

Comment

Next step is too check the valve lash. Since the head had a valve job I am wondering how much material has been removed. Here is a picture of the new 1100G valve cover gasket

I fill up all the oil galleries with Rotella 15W-40

I kinda knew it 7 out of 8 valves need to be adjusted back to Andrews valve lash spec .004 - .006". I don't have enough shims so I email my friend & fellow GSer Ghostgs1 let him know what I need and by Tuesday I have all the shims I need to set things right: Lots of 2.55's

Steve

Comment

Looking good Steve.

One more question: You timed the cams with the lobe pointing forward right?

Also, was all this work done in July as the photo dates show, and you are just teasing us with these photos? Is this engine already ripping around town?
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Next I need to button up the valve cover, I apply a very thin layer of Blue RTV and torque the 6mm bolts with my calibrated hand. I recheck the torque on the head with a calibrated torque wrench.

Install the Valve Cover Chrome Caps

Probably does not need it but I install new exhaust gaskets. D Port clearly visible

Last edited by srsupertrap; 10-29-2011, 09:36 PM.
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Looking good Steve.

One more question: You timed the cams with the lobe pointing forward right?

Also, was all this work done in July as the photo dates show, and you are just teasing us with these photos? Is this engine already ripping around town?
                  Ed, The date stamps are all accurate and back in late July I was wrapping up the engine assembly but still didn't have the Mikuni RS34's in hand. But Jeff & the gang @ Z-1 Enterprises came through and delivered again.

Yes my GS1100 project has been running for a while and is even broken in now. I started on the second turn of the engine
                  Steve

Comment

Next I reinstall the Supertrapp Header, before installing the Allen Head Screws I put anti sieze grease on all the threads to thwart off problem down the road

Same shot

Steve

Comment

With the engine nearly buttoned I place several feelers out for a set of Minum RS34. I try Craigs List, contact several speed shops and of course Z-1 Enterprises. Now I have more down time so I decide to touch up the engine cases above the Points Cover. I tape everything back to the top & bottom cases and casting mold lines . . . . Came out real nice too

Sanded & taped

VHT Paint again

Clutch Cover Buttoned Up: GS750 Oil Pump Gears & Clutch Hub Nut, Falicon
                      Last edited by srsupertrap; 11-02-2011, 10:37 PM.
                      Steve

Comment

One more right side photo then I install the Muffler w 24 discs & secure the clutch cover with Allens. Had to remove & reinstall the clutch components since I had no clutch lever engagement. I must have installed something in wrong order . . . minor stuff at this point in the project

For me at 50+ years the mechanical art of motorcycles is just as intriguing. I can spend time during the winter just looking as I drink my coffee
                        Last edited by srsupertrap; 11-06-2011, 11:01 AM.
                        Steve

Comment

As previously stated I was searching high & low for a set of Mikuni RS34s last summer. The Japanese earthquake disrupted the supply chain. Yeah RS36 would work too but I am at altitude and my Project Goal was always to enhance the bottom & mid range power. So, in late July the guys at Z-1 contact me and say they have a confirmed they can deliver a new set of RS34's. Instead of drop shipping them I ask Jeff to receive them in NY and inspect them first. I ask for some different jets Main 120s vs 110s & Pilot 15. They arrive in short order shown here

Hum No Instructions, no nothing. Good thing I have some knowledge of Carbs after 30 years of fiddling.

These RS34 w K&N Filters probably cost more than many of the GSs now on the Site. IMO, I don't care its money well spent.

I have previously removed the VM29s and after 28 flawless years of service, cleaned them and sprayed the internals down.
                          They are now on display over my Bookcase

Last edited by srsupertrap; 11-06-2011, 11:08 AM.
                          Steve

Comment

Nice work Steve, the attention to detail is incredible, can't wait to see this one completed!

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                              Nice work Steve, the attention to detail is incredible, can't wait to see this one completed!
                              Agree wholeheartedly. I wish mine was as thorough.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65
                                Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                                Agree wholeheartedly. I wish mine was as thorough.
                                Thanks guys and also to 7981GS for helping with that Lockhart oil cooler adapter seal.

So what's the first thing a GSer Gearhead do to a brand new set of Mikuni RS Carbs . . . take em apart to rejet em for 6000 Ft. The float bowl screws are way too tight but I plan on replacing them.

Z-1 sent me a set of 120 Mains & 15 Pilots so I carefully install them

Left over hardware from McMaster Carr from VM29s

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X