Forward Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forward Controls

Does anybody know of any way of putting forward controls on a 450L? I had to take my highway bars off because the bike wouldn't fit through the doorway to my laundry room where she is parked...very understanding wife.

Since I plan on trying to take a few longer trips and would like a little better riding position. The bars and seat are fine, I just want a little more leg room.
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Are you talking about highway pegs?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

No, I mean moving the brake pedal, shifter and pegs forward. I thought about highway pegs...I may end up doing that anyway if all else fails.
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Forward controls are something of a holy grail. They can't be bought for the GS, and I've only heard of two or three people successfully fabricating their own, which of course requires a good deal of skill and ingenuity.

Of course with your highway bars off, you've lost the prime forward peg mounting spot... Perhaps you can find some smaller mini case guards that aren't too wide? I haven't ever seen specific "highway pegs" units for the GS although you might be able to find something on eBay that'll fit. I ended up with mini 3-pt case guards with pegs mounted to 'em, but I don't have width constraints either...

Comment

I've seen highway pegs that are one single bar that attaches to the frame and runs in the lower front part of the motor.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
            Forward controls are something of a holy grail. They can't be bought for the GS, and I've only heard of two or three people successfully fabricating their own, which of course requires a good deal of skill and ingenuity.

Of course with your highway bars off, you've lost the prime forward peg mounting spot... Perhaps you can find some smaller mini case guards that aren't too wide? I haven't ever seen specific "highway pegs" units for the GS although you might be able to find something on eBay that'll fit. I ended up with mini 3-pt case guards with pegs mounted to 'em, but I don't have width constraints either...
            I beg to differ....I just bought a set for my 82 850glz on ebay a couple weeks ago. They fit beautiful. Of course I had to test drive it on a nice cold day lol. Cost me a bit more than I wanted to spend but I think it will be worth it on long rides. I'll try to post some pics here as soon as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by dennis roy View Post
              I beg to differ....I just bought a set for my 82 850glz on ebay a couple weeks ago. They fit beautiful. Of course I had to test drive it on a nice cold day lol. Cost me a bit more than I wanted to spend but I think it will be worth it on long rides. I'll try to post some pics here as soon as I can.
              Highway pegs or forward controls? Either way, pics please!

Comment

ok...since im not smart enough to figure out how to shrink the pics to post on here i just them on photobuckets

Last edited by Guest; 02-02-2007, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Nifty! Were they specifically made for the GS? Did you have to modify them to fit or anything? What brand are they?

Comment

MC enterprises is who the manufacturer was. I'm not sure if they make them anymore. It was part #304 and is supposed to fit 80-82 gs850, gs1000 shaft drive and 82 gs1100 shaft drive. I didn't have to do any modification to make them fit.

Comment

Originally posted by dennis roy View Post
                      MC enterprises is who the manufacturer was. I'm not sure if they make them anymore. It was part #304 and is supposed to fit 80-82 gs850, gs1000 shaft drive and 82 gs1100 shaft drive. I didn't have to do any modification to make them fit.
                      Well nice find. Enjoy those babies!

Comment

Working...
                      X