X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS1000 - sudden loss of power & backfire

I need a little help.

Background:

I just bought a used 79 GS1000 a week ago, and this is my first bike ever! If the odometer is correct, she has just a little under 60K miles on her. I'm the 3rd owner. The 2nd owner bought the bike a few months ago, basically brought it back from the dead with new plugs, battery, tires, etc. The bike's only noticeable issues (aside from being just a bit too ugly for her own good) are a VERY noisy clutch (think rock crusher) and a leaky tach cable.

Issue:

So, when I first got the bike, she had GOBS of power. Full throttle damn near scared the bejesus out of me, and she didn't hesitate one bit. I went to ride her this morning, and something's definetely not right. The bike idles fine, starts fine, and revs up in neutral ni problem, but she has maybe 2/3 of her power, if that. WOT from a slight roll causes her to bog and die. I'm fully in the throttle going up some hills, and in general she just doesn't seem to happy to go forward. She also seems to have developed a little bitof a pop on decel from high revs, which is slowly working itself into a little but of a backfire

What I've done so far:

- Cleaned the plugs. Outside were fowled (black). Inside were somewhat white, but nothing out of the ordinary for lovely CA fuel. Plugs are only a few months old

- Filled the tank. 91 octane (is that right?). Good stuff from Shell, where I fill all my vehicles and have for years with no issues

Any ideas? I know the previous owner didn't touch the carbs, but why would the bike go from 'awesome' to 'crap' in one day?

Mike

First off, congrats on the new bike!! :-D Second, if you have not taken care of the clutch, please do so...you do not want that clutch basket desintigrating on you...major bad juju.

Carbs are not my strong suit when it comes to diagnosis, so Keith(GSResources Carb King and Undisputed Heavyweight Champion :-D ), RenoBruce, or somebody else much smarter than me....please chime in. I do not wish to lead a new guy astray!!

check the plug caps on cyls. 1 & 4 for cracks?
    check coil for cyls. 1 & 4?
    stuck float needle valves?

Hope I helped!!

Mike
    Last edited by Cassius086; 06-10-2007, 07:49 PM. Reason: I can not type worth a hoot!
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

I had this exact same thing happen to me 2 years ago. Engine did not have any compression so I pulled it &tore the whole thing apart. Found out the valve lash was too tight. Check for compression & if it's low, pull the valve cover & check valve clearance

Comment

Also, check the inside of your gas tank. Is it clean or rusty?

It sounds like some debris got into the carbs and clogged the jets. Try draining a carb or two and capture what comes out for inspection.
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Howdy Mike. With an abrupt loss of power, the first thing I do is notice whether it sounds right - 4 cylinders contributing or perhaps it's now a smooth running 3 (there'll be a distinct change in the sound as well as the power). Touch the exhaust pipes briefly (or shoot 'em with an IR temp gun if you have one)......Are any markedly colder (not firing)? With the engine running (and maybe with what you know above), remove the plug wires one at a time and look for a consistent RPM drop (contributing ok) or NO drop (that's your dead cylinder). Unless you have reason to suspect otherwise, with a dead cylinder, I'd try a new plug irregardless of what it looks like. IF you find 2 dead cylinders (either 1+4 or 2+3) suspect a common ignition failure here.....point open or closed for that pair or bad coil.

Is there any new or noticeable mechanical noise associated with this recent loss of power? Does the bike appear to have good electrical power (starts good....good lights etc)? Just a couple of cents worth

Comment

actually, i DO have a IR temp gun. bought it for the track for my other toy, but i guess i've found a new trick.

the neck of the tank (from what i can see), has some spotty rust. i suppose it's possible that some particulates got in and are now blocking a carb or two. i'll do a fuel filter replacement and likely some new plugs as well since all that can't cost all that much.

the bike sounds fine. it's maybe a little raspier, but there's no hiccup or stumble. she'll go right up to redline if i ask her to; i'm just not getting the power on i KNOW she has. i'd almost suspect a slipping clutch, but the revs don't slip like i'm used to on a car AND the recent of addition of the popping/backfire leads me to believe something else is going on.

i'll also try a compression test while i'm at it. i'm pretty sure i have a compression tester.........somewhere.

little late tonight to start playing, though. i'll start first thing tomorrow night after work and report back on what i find.

thanks guys!

Mike

PS - while i have some attention here, i have some general questions about other maintenance on the bike. i've never adjusted valve clearances on anything before, nor have i eve rrebuilt a carburetor. all of my vehicles have been fuel-injected cars where the work's been fairly simple. turn a bolt here, cut here, grind there, etc. am i getting in over my head in trying to perform these basic maintenance jobs on my own? if so, what should i expect to pay a shop for this? i can basically change the oil and plugs no problem, but anything beyond that i'd rather leave for someone who actually knows what the hell they're doing. any recommendations for shops in the San Diego North County area would be a HUGE plus!+

Comment

Sllllllooooooowwwwwww down Mike One thing at a time! First, a slipping clutch is like any slipping clutch.......revs will indeed be higher than calculated when it slips (same as your car experience). Don't start ripping carbs apart and deciding on compression results yet. Concentrate on the problem and it's history......reread what I told you and try out your IR gun (I shoot the pipes just as they turn downward). DO NOT drive the bike in this condition until you determine the problem. You noted the change in exhaust note.....this may be a key to it now running on 3 as I mentioned. Reread my post and let us know what you find out.

If you're not patient enough to learn about your bikes systems accurately and take small steps at first to repair.........AND competent enough (at this time) with using tools to do the work you may need, then you should hire a pro or ask for assistance from experience to make your repairs. If you have no patience and a big bank roll then by all means let the pro's handle it and enjoy the driving For what it's worth

Comment

Simple stuff first, Mike. Replace that fuel filter. It may be clogged. Check your fuel lines for kinks. Make sure it's not routed with a high spot, resulting in a bubble in the line. Check the vacuum line for kinks or cracks. Check the petcock for clogs or a defective diaphram.

Comment

well, i must admit this bike felt like a bad idea from the get-go. realistically, i just don't have the time, patience, and money to take on a project like this. i guess i got a little caught up with the whole family starting to ride and wanted to partake, but this is just a very bad time for me to have another money pit.

my loss, your gain.

Mike

Comment

If it's a sudden problem I'd check the petcock and clean the petcock screen especially if you see rust in the tank. When I had petcock problems it lost alot of power all of a sudden. Popped on decal and generally ran like crap. New petcock and all was well.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

1 and 4 plugs are black, bike is backfiring more and more, sudden loss of power.
                      Sure sounds like a coil. If the coil is good, then points are probably badly pitted too/bad condensor.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

ok, i've slept on this. i'm still apprehensive about spending a ton of money on this thing, but i'm willing to give some stuff a shot. i don't think i'm gonna have people lining up for this thing soon anyway.

so, i'm going to go home tonight and try shooting the pipes with the IR thermometer. i'm also leaning toward fuel-related issues as all of my woes seem to have developed right around the time i put in my first tank of gas.

let me go through my scenario from yesterday to see if this sheds light on anything. it'll also give you perspective on why i just gave up and decided to throw this thing up for sale:

rode her to work yesterday. less than 5 miles one way, no freeway. rode fine, with the exception of the low power. got to talking with a guy at work who rides dirtbikes, and he started asking about the petcock, which lead to this thread:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

turns out, i've been riding in 'prime' for at least a day, maybe more. went out to the bike, flipped her to 'ON', and walked away for a few hours. went to leave last night, and the bike just would NOT stay running! at first, she wouldn't fire up, which is odd because the one thing this bike always does for me is fire in less than a second of thumbing the starter. FINALLY got her running and starting to warm up when she died. i could get her running again, but not happily. revved the snot out of her, and she'd do that just fine, but once i got off the throttle, she'd die. after FINALLY getting her to stay running at idle, i rode her around the parking lot at work to make sure she'd stay running. seemed fine. even shut her off a few times and started her again. no issues. i got out on the main roads and got maybe a mile from work when she just died. pulled off a side street and tried to start her again. no luck. finally flipped the petcock to RES and she came back to life. so, apparently, the whole issue was being out of fuel? odd with only 120 miles since the last fill-up, but i may not have topped her off completely. but what i don't get is how i could get her to run for so long previously. my experience with cars is that when they run out of gas, that's it. you can crank your life away, and the dang thing won't turn back over because, well, there's no go-juice.

so i got her home after stopping to fill up the tank (which is oh so fun. i'm sure you're all familiar with the new gas pump nozzle designs and how much a PITA they make it to fill a gas tank, esp. on bikes). again, she ran OK, but was still down on power. i ran out to get the parts i had ordered to fix the leak around the tach cable seal and to get some new plugs (NGK B8ES, i think). got home and put the plugs in (gapped at .028"). the ones i had JUST cleaned up the day before where showing the same symptoms again in just a day's-worth of riding. outside are very dark. inside are a little chalky, but what i would consider 'normal' on CA gas. new plugs didn't fix the issue (i know they're only a symptom anyway).

so, giving up on that, i went to start on fixing the oil leak, at which point i came upon the straw that broke this camel's back. can anyone tell me why someone would design a vehicle where nearly every piece of hardware is a phillips-head screw? could you choose a worse design? i mean, a hex bolt works OK over and over again, as does an allen bolt or even a torx bolt, but a PHILLIPS-HEAD? cripes! turns out someone had apparently tried to fix the thing before me and had royally stripped the bolt already. i tired to get some channel locks on it. no go. it's in just the 'right' position where the frame gets in the way from the side and the front wheel gets in the way from the front. i tried a Craftsman screw extractor set that has bailed me out more times than i can remember. no go. just stripped the thing out worse. i would have just used a dremel tool to cut a notch in the head, but i was out of cut wheels and it was getting late and dark at that point and i had just about had it. i got frustrated and decided to list the bike for sale. maybe the smartest thing i could do, maybe not.

anywho, that's my long ramble rant. now, some questions:

1) if it is the petcock, do you guys recommend rebuilding it with the kits i can find on ebay all day long for $25, or should i just pony up for a whole new petcock?

2) where can i find a fuel filter? everywhere i look shows it as being discontinued? does anyone have the PN of, say, a FRAM filter or something i could use in its place?

lastly, i've made a soft appointment with a guy who works at a local major cycle shop and does some work of his own on the side to look the bike over and give me an honest assessment of what kind of shape it's in to detemrine if it's even worth it. that comes next week. if he has good news, i may keep it. otherwise, ........

Mike

PS - i already ordered up the hex-bolt replacement kit a couple of days ago, do if i ever DO get these screws out, i'll be sure to replace them with something a little more adequate.
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2007, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Mike, long rant. Frustrating story. I can only answer with "I feel your pain". Most of us here have been down this road. It comes with the ownership of a 28 year old bike. The rewards are worth the pain though. Believe me. Just wait until you get her dialed in. You'll be the happiest kid on the block! And you will turn heads witht that old GS whereever you go.

To answer your technical Q's, get a replacement petcock. www.flatoutmotorcycles.com or www.bikebandit.com are good sources. Bikebandit is more expensive, but they're right there in San Diego. 120 miles on a tank is a bit low. But if you have crud in the tank, it will settle and clog the lowest part of the petcock screen.

Every M/C shop I've been in sells small in-line fuel filters. They come in a couple of sizes. Get a larger one.

Keith's call on the ignition sounds right to me. I guess I missed that last night. Dirty, pitted points. Bad condenser. Bad coil or wiring. Definately stuff to check.

Good luck.

Comment

ok, i'll plan on a whole new petcock and fuel filter. if someone comes along with enough money in hand to make this go away, i may take them up, but having something to tinker with in the garage won't kill me, i guess.

what ID is our fuel hose? 5/16"?

and how do i go about checking a coil? i know i learned once back in HS shop class, but that's a wee bit back.

*starting to get the motivation*

Mike
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2007, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Yes 5/16" is correct.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X