What is wrong with this picture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is wrong with this picture?

We went to Maryland over the weekend to visit one of my sisters and to pick up an 850 that my younger son had purchased from Max (GSR member). The bike is in pretty decent shape for a 27-year-old bike. I knew it was a runner, but also did not expect it to be able to be ridden home. We got it home without any problems and did the once-over to start a checklist on what all we plan to do to the bike. It starts easily enough, but seems to be running on only two or three cylinders, and will only run on full choke. I had already planned on checking the valves and cleaning the carbs, so this just reinforces that idea. After an overnight soak with degreaser and a trip through the car (bike) wash, it cleaned up quite nicely.

Of course, my son wants to start worrying about cosmetics right away. To help give him a taste of the work that is involved with getting a bike in unknown condition back on the road, I showed him how to remove the front wheel so he could remove the disks and start cleaning the wheel. (Yeah, it's the back wheel in the picture, but I did not get a picture of the front wheel in-process.)

While he was having 'fun' with the wheels, getting them ready for paint, I decided to check the condition of the charging system. Voltage at the battery did not seem to rise, so I checked the stator. Resistance seemed OK, so I went for a voltage check. Remember when I said that it only runs on full choke? I did not think it would be running that long to do a quick stator voltage check, and in less than a minute, my son called out to me..."HEY, DAD..." Fortunately, the camera was very close, as we have been getting pictures of just about every step of the process.

Suffice it to say that valves and carbs will be checked/adjusted before the beast roars again.

By the way, can anybody identify the header? I can not find any marks on it anywhere. Appears nicely made, and the muffler is nice (for me, at least) in that it does not kick up like most of them do, leaving room for saddlebags.

Last edited by Steve; 12-10-2008, 08:04 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

2-3 coil? do the middle cylinders fire at all?

Comment

Yeah, they fire, it's just that it only runs on full choke. I am guessing that even the choke circuits are plugged in 2&3. Just co-incidence (I think) that it's also cylinders that are fired by the same coil.

Carb removal start tomorrow afternoon when the kid gets home from school, so I'll let you know what we find. 8-[

sigpic
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

That is a sidewinder pipe of some make. Hard telling. the header looks V&H but the can does not. Almost looks MAC but i dont think so there either. Maybe Kerker? Either way, obviously doesnt kick up, which lends itself to clearance probs.

Comment

Man those things are glowing! That running high idle on full choke? How long? Wheew.

Comment

I think i have a few cam covers layin round here in the extras bin. Dunno if i have a full set but im pretty sure i have 3 at least, if you'd like em.

Comment

nice color on the outer pipes ! :-D
              planning on doing the same to the other two ? :shock:

unless the headers are like paper-thin ... i somehow think that getting the engine to that temperature can't be too good
              GS850GT

Comment

No immediate plans to add color to the inner pipes at this time.
                Header pipes don't seem to be thin anywhere.

That was running between 3500 and 4000 for less than a minute. :shock:

Normally I don't like to run any bike that fast on choke, but it was the quickest way to get a voltage reading off the stator.
                By the way, the voltage checking was interrupted, so I still don't know what shape it's in.

Interesting sidebar: I know it's not good for the engine, but I wanted my son to hear how the bike sounds without an exhaust system on it. Only let it run for about 2-3 seconds, but it was enough to see that cylinders 2&3 were the only ones with visible flames coming out the ports, so I know they are firing. :shock:

TCK, I might be contacting you about the covers and maybe some other parts. We still on for the transportation this weekend? Call me.

Last edited by Steve; 03-05-2008, 09:06 AM.
                sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Im thinking im going to have to bump it back to the 22nd, Steve. I'll PM you the gory details, but it hasnt worked out the way i had hoped over the last couple weeks monetarily.

Comment

22nd is good, but only after about 2pm. 8-[

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Thats all good, i have the whole day off...you have a PM good sir

Comment

Wow! Must be almost zero fuel going through 1 and 4. Nothing to counter the heat build up. Timing may be way off too.
                        Parts won't last long under that condition.
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I know what you mean, even though it goes against common reasoning. "How could the have no fuel and be so red-hot?"

Seeing as how the bike is 'new' to us and known to be in less-than-perfect condition, it will have ALL of that kind of stuff checked before earning parole from the garage. 8-[

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            ...you have a PM good sir
                            and YOU have a reply. 8-[

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

hey steve,

I noticed the bike had a 4 into 1, is that stock on that particular bike? Could that be adding to your problem?

Cory

Comment

Working...
                              X