Tire mounting the easy way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire mounting the easy way

Well I know there are other ways to mount a tire, and while I used to change tires professionally (at least I got paid for working at the gas station doing this among other things in high school) I have only changed 1 MC front tire and it was me and a friend using a couple of screw drivers and a clamp to break the bead.

Well long story short while looking for a place to mount and balance my new Perelli Sport Demons on my freshly POR'ed wheels (glossy clear on brushed aluminum 800 grit, with black).

I found this link.

The reason this should work is that the key to putting the tire on is to get the beads together and into the deep center of the rim. By pulling the beads together the tire is easily slid over the edge of the rim and into the center of the rim.

As another example, I can usually change a bicycle tire without even using a tire iron by just paying attention to getting the beads into the center.

Companion tire dismount thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299856 [IMG] No tire irons. Amaze your friends. Do the job...

This is probably the best way I have seen to avoid damaging the rim or it's clear coat

PORplayr (formerly Posplayr) :-D
    Last edited by posplayr; 06-04-2008, 02:51 PM.

Wonder how well it works on our skinny old wheels...
    Find out soon enough.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Wow! That looks easy enough even I could do it. Great find. Thanks for sharing Mr. posplayer. :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Those straps should be great for traction up here in the snow...oh wait... they come off before inflating don't they?#-o

Comment

Quick Update

I tried to change a tire not just mount one. I started on the front tire. I broke the bead with a c-clamp and a couple of peices of wood, but the problem because one of getting the ire now into the groove so I couild slide a strap through (no luck).

I could have tried harder but when faced with teh extra $40 to have a shop mount them, I'm thinking I'll just install the wheel bearing rotors and have the shop do it.

So while the install with straps already on probably works, if this is an R/R you are kinda back in the same spot. Cant get the tire beads together enough to get inside of teh center groove. I did not try the rear tire; it might be easier or maybe not.

I'm gonna look at the harbor freight changer (possibly).

Posplayr

Comment

If you look at the companion tire dismount thread (link at the top of the advrider.com thread) it appears that they remove the old tire not with the straps but with a hacksaw.

Comment

I changed my tires on a set of GSXR rims using 2 motorcycle-sized tire irons and some elbow grease.

Comment

This method seems like more work to me than the old-fashioned way with tire spoons. Maybe it takes less finesse or swearing.

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
                  This method seems like more work to me than the old-fashioned way with tire spoons. Maybe it takes less finesse or swearing.
                  Maybe so, but it looks like the tools are cheaper, and less risk to the rim.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I just ran across this as a way to expand the bead:

In the write-up, the author describes using a rope wrapped around the tire. Slide a screwdriver through a loop in the rope, and twist it to tighten the rope. I imagine it could unwind pretty violently once you put air in to seat the beads. A ratchet strap might be a little safer.

Lots of other good motorcycle repair goodies at that site. BassCliff linked to it a couple days ago in another thread.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

One thing I have no interest in doing is mounting my own tires. There is no fun in that type of wrenching for me.
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                        One thing I have no interest in doing is mounting my own tires. There is no fun in that type of wrenching for me.
                        Wimp!

hehehe

Comment

Different markets. Here, if you pay list for the tires from a dealer, and take the wheels in, they mount the tires for free. If you take the whole bike in they charge an hour's labor.

So here the decision is whether to dismount/mount your own wheels. Tire changing doesn't save you a bean.

Comment

I used a 2-tool set to do mine; front was quite a bit easier, or maybe I was getting better at it by then. Anyway, I needed a third tool, and had to use a screwdriver that wasn't as smooth. I'm gonna order another set of tools ($11 or so from Bike Bandit I think) the next time I order tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                              I just ran across this as a way to expand the bead:

In the write-up, the author describes using a rope wrapped around the tire. Slide a screwdriver through a loop in the rope, and twist it to tighten the rope. I imagine it could unwind pretty violently once you put air in to seat the beads. A ratchet strap might be a little safer.

Lots of other good motorcycle repair goodies at that site. BassCliff linked to it a couple days ago in another thread.
                              Wow - I used to use this strap when I worked in "gas station" in 1967....

Comment

Working...
                              X