Cheap GS1100 16V oil coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap GS1100 16V oil coolers

Guess what, I just figured out where my oil cooler came from. I just found this. On the Yosimite trip looking at RenoBruce's 1150 it became obvious that mine was not from a 1150. It appears to be of a 550/750 like these.

If you pic one up, make sure to get all of the fittings. The hoses can be removed with some effort (and care) and replaced.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-GS550-GS-550-GS550ES-OIL-COOLER-5A37_W0QQitemZ230239712392QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p 4506.m20.l1116

If you go total after market you see that the price of the fittings can go skyhigh real quick.

I called paragon and got new SS lines, simulated fitting/clams and high heat coverings for about $80. The two upper mounting holes match right up with the frame on my GS1100ED.

On the recent trip, my bike GS1100ED stayed below 280 deg (as per the gauge) and we rode pretty hard. It was 115 deg and 50% humidity going through Indiokern on 395 (near Death Valley CA).

Posplayr

Update: Related Link on coolers.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
    Last edited by posplayr; 08-07-2008, 08:12 AM.

What are you doing as far as maintaining your oil level? You have to add extra oil to account for the increased capacity the cooler and lines add but that puts you over the level in the sight galss, so then there's no reference point. Just a thought.

Comment

Just filling to the top of the sight glass

Adding about .25 quart extra. On my last run with the oil leak I was always running low. Doesn't seem to matter too much as I had 6-9 PSI between 5-8K respectively. (new oil pump, GS750 gears, top end oiler and GS750 cooler, RenoBruce 15 psi oil guage)

Gotta get one of the levels like Salty Monk has. The oil level can be completely off depending upon how level you get the bike.

Posplayr

Comment

This is effectively a posh version of what I have... mine was about $4 from the TruValu hardware store. Sits right on top of the engine casing above the clutch really well & allows one person to hold the bike level & check the site glass.

I originally bought this as my Skunk has no centre stand. A few degrees makes a huge difference to the reading in the site glass.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I've gotta ask-the oil coolers really look great, but are they really necessary? What are their advantages? If you change your oil frequently (every 1500 or so for me), and you don't sit in traffic for hours in the summer, isn't the engine designed to function well without a cooler?

Comment

I don't run one on mine but it probably can't hurt in these warm climates. It should help on 100 degree days in the desert.

The rally last year in the West was a lot hotter & I was using GTX, I could feel it degrading as the journey went on (1800 miles).

I am now using Rotella. Synthetic would be even better at extremes of temperature.

Was about 10 degrees cooler this year on the rally but neither of my bikes are shifting roughly this year after the same 1800miles.

With good oil frequently changed there should be no need. With a lot of modifications & really thrashing the engine on hot days or crawling in traffic it would probably help a lot.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Not to hijack this thread but- I used the link to the ebay store and was perusing a lot of the same GS850-1100 parts i have left over. Man, I still have at least a silver mine in the garage.
              As for checking oil, I use a led type flashlight and it works well. I haven't taken the cover off and cleaned it yet, but running some seafoam thru it earlier this year right before I did my 1st oil change cleared the window up from dead black to at least halfway translucent.

Comment

Cooler is better

My cooler was installed by a former PO, so I never really knew where it came from although it did look like an OEM Suzuki part off of something. Turns out Suzuki started putting oil coolers on all of the last gen GS motors (84 GS1150 I already knew about, 83 GS750E I did not).

Sunburn has stated previously that his GS1100 was getting up to 300 degF; he lives out east of LA where it gets pretty hot in the summer.

I have not run mine without the cooler, but I pretty much stayed below 270 for most of the Yosimite trip where we were running at 100-115 degF going through Death Valley.

I'll have a 1166 kit in the GS1100ED so that is even more reason for the cooler. Now that I found that cheap source and my plumbing is basically in place I might go for a larger cooler than the 4 row on mine.

The problem you run into with these coolers is the cost of fittings can be way more than the cooler itself. I got some new stainless braided line and fakey clamps with a special heat wrap for about $80 from Paragon. I was able to use all fittings that I already had going this route

Posplayr

Comment

If you really want to manage your temp... with or without a cooler... try ceramic coating you exhaust system...... unbelievable difference.

Comment

Originally posted by katguy View Post
                    If you really want to manage your temp... with or without a cooler... try ceramic coating you exhaust system...... unbelievable difference.
                    I don't understand that-how would this affect engine oil temperature?

Comment

I would guess the ceramic will displace heat.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The ceramic coating helps keep the heat in the pipe.
                        Doesn't radiate quite as much heat back to the motor. Not so much an issue moving at highway speed, but will help a little in stop and go traffic.
                        A side bonus is that it can also improve performance due to better exhaust scavenging.
                        Had mine coated last year and checking it at idle with an infrared thermo., the coated pipes ran anywhere from 25-50 degrees cooler than the original chrome finish.
                        Header wrap works well also. Not as pretty but a lot less expensive.
                        FYI...don't wrap a chrome or coated header...will ruin the finish.
                        Thieves.....kill them all.

Comment

Did you sandblast or de-chrome your exhaust? If you did sandblast how long did it take you to do it with silicon-carbide? I just bought an 82 GS1100 and my chrome V&H 4 to 1 exhaust has a little rust by the collector and pipe.

Comment

Had a chrome shop strip it.
                            The coating guy told me that it's better (and a lot easier) than trying to blast because of all the nooks and crannys. The coating will not adhere to chrome at all...or not for very long.
                            Thieves.....kill them all.

Comment

Oil Cooler Description for GS

redirecting this therat back to the subject topic.

The link below seems to have been updated and gives a nice explaination about GS or GSX (in the rest of the world) oil coolers.

Enjoy

Posplayr

Comment

Working...
                              X