Petcock with off position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock with off position?

Is there any petcock with a manual "off" positon that will work with a 78 GS400 tank?

Mine is leaking even when it's in the "ON" position so I figure I would see if there is any petcock with a manual 'off' selector so I don't have to run into the problem again. How long do OEM petcocks last, if I buy a new one?

Also why is there a problem of fuel leaking into the crankcase if its always 'on' with a broken vacuum actuator?

Well if you disconnect the vacuum line (and plug it so there is not a leak on the cylinder) you have a manual petcock by design. Just turn to PRI when you need fuel.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

The original taps will last......31 years. Sorry, just guessing yours is the orginal fitment but they do last a long, long time.

Other taps that'll fit with an on position? In the UK the I'm pretty sure that a TS250 will fit but couldn't swear on it - might be too tall - and the US could be different anyway.

The problem with fuel leaking in to the crankcase is that the crankcase fills up with fuel, you spin the motor over and get a hydraulic lock and bend and bust something.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
        The original taps will last......31 years. Sorry, just guessing yours is the orginal fitment but they do last a long, long time.

Other taps that'll fit with an on position? In the UK the I'm pretty sure that a TS250 will fit but couldn't swear on it - might be too tall - and the US could be different anyway.

The problem with fuel leaking in to the crankcase is that the crankcase fills up with fuel, you spin the motor over and get a hydraulic lock and bend and bust something.
        Ok I might just buy a new one then. I was wondering why the crankcase fills up with gas, though. My carbs (from a gsx400) have a drainage hose (which works because gas came out of it when the bike was on its side) - would that prevemt oil contamination?

Edit: Scratch that, a new one would be $100. I can't pay that. Gonna have to keep it as it is I spose.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2009, 06:38 PM.

Comment

two ways for this to happen.

A float in a carb gets stuck and the gas runs up and into the engine.

The vacuum diaphram on the petcock breaks and gas finds it's way in through the vacuum line. Not as likely as a stuck float.

These carbs will flood if the bike is on the side stand and the fuel is set to PRI.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
            two ways for this to happen.

A float in a carb gets stuck and the gas runs up and into the engine.

The vacuum diaphram on the petcock breaks and gas finds it's way in through the vacuum line. Not as likely as a stuck float.

These carbs will flood if the bike is on the side stand and the fuel is set to PRI.
            But would the carb drainage hose prevent fuel from entering the crankcase if the floats stuck?

Comment

Originally posted by MrZig View Post
              Ok I might just buy a new one then. I was wondering why the crankcase fills up with gas, though. My carbs (from a gsx400) have a drainage hose (which works because gas came out of it when the bike was on its side) - would that prevemt oil contamination?

Edit: Scratch that, a new one would be $100. I can't pay that. Gonna have to keep it as it is I spose.
              1979 and older had Mikuni VM carbs, which have a float bowl overflow. If the fuel keeps flowing due to bad petcock and bad float valves in the carbs, the fuel goes harmlessly overboard under the bike. 1980 and newer had CV carbs, no overflow due to EPA idiocy.
              When they overflow, the fuel goes into the carb through the jets, flows into the airbox and into the engine, ends up being added to the oil in the crankcase in large quantities.
              Can cause problems due to diluted oil, perhaps even cause the dreaded hydrolocking we have heard rumors of.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                1979 and older had Mikuni VM carbs, which have a float bowl overflow. If the fuel keeps flowing due to bad petcock and bad float valves in the carbs, the fuel goes harmlessly overboard under the bike. 1980 and newer had CV carbs, no overflow due to EPA idiocy.
                When they overflow, the fuel goes into the carb through the jets, flows into the airbox and into the engine, ends up being added to the oil in the crankcase in large quantities.
                Can cause problems due to diluted oil, perhaps even cause the dreaded hydrolocking we have heard rumors of.
                Is EPA America only? I'm in Canada and my GSX400 engine defintely has a working overflow hose.

Comment

Is EPA America only? I'm in Canada and my GSX400 engine defintely has a working overflow hose.
                  YES, unfortunately.

Comment

Okay so since my fuel petcock is stuck open and I have an overflow hose, I shouldn't be in any danger of blowing the engine. Might have the odd gas leak though. Correct?

I would still like an On/Res/Off petcock. Simpler and wouldn't cause problems.

Comment

perhaps even cause the dreaded hydrolocking we have heard rumors of.
                      Not to hijack, but does anyone know someone who has actually hydrolocked an engine this way? The only hydro lock i ever witnessed was a fool on an HD in Phoenix try to ride through a deep (too deep!)puddle...sucked a nice gulp of water through his pretty S&S aircleaner and EEEEERRP!

Comment

Originally posted by C.V. View Post
                        Not to hijack, but does anyone know someone who has actually hydrolocked an engine this way? The only hydro lock i ever witnessed was a fool on an HD in Phoenix try to ride through a deep (too deep!)puddle...sucked a nice gulp of water through his pretty S&S aircleaner and EEEEERRP!
                        Was it a true hydro lock or was it seizing due to suddenly cooled cylinders shrinking around hot pistons?
                        Can't imagine enough water to fill the combustion chamber going in on one intake stroke without the throttle being held open and the air filter being removed.

Comment

Okay even after replacing the seals in the petcock, mine is still leaking. And the turnhead is really loose. Argh. I spose its just worn out and needs replacing.

Should I go with an OEM one or are there any cheaper ones that work better? I'd love to go with a cheaper On/Off/Res one.

Comment

Scratch that, a new one would be $100. I can't pay that. Gonna have to keep it as it is I spose.
                            Where are you getting the $100 number?

Here's the price from flatoutmotorcycles.com :
                            COCK ASSY, FUEL
                            44300-44011
                            $65.02

Still seems spendy -- most petcocks are around $50 - $55 -- but definitely not $100.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              Where are you getting the $100 number?

Here's the price from flatoutmotorcycles.com :
                              COCK ASSY, FUEL
                              44300-44011
                              $65.02

Still seems spendy -- most petcocks are around $50 - $55 -- but definitely not $100.
                              Well I went to a few different places online and found they were near $80, and since I'm in Canada I figured it would cost around $100 taxes in.

Comment

Working...
                              X