1/4 turn throttle tube up-grade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/4 turn throttle tube up-grade.

I'm quite happy with this modification (2004 Yammie R1 tube)but forgot to mention that you need to adjust the slack in the cable at the carb end. If you don't there is about an inch of turn before the throttle engages. Defeats the purpose of the upgrade.

Once setup, the tube turns from idle to full throttle in about 45 degrees of turn. It really makes throttle control easier and less taxing on the hand.

I'd recommend it.

Cheers,
    spyug

I like it too ..

(Use the throttle tube from a 2004 Yamaha R1 in the original Suzuki GS throttle assembly to modify it to a quarter turn opposed to a half turn.

Other than adjusting the cable, there are no other mods necessary.

4YR-26240-02-00 GRIP ASSY (4YR-26240-01-00) $15.04 (paid in 2008)
    4YR-26241-02-00 GRIP (LEFT) (4YR-26241-01-00) $8.10 (paid in 2008))

Originally posted by spyug View Post
    I'm quite happy with this modification (2004 Yammie R1 tube)but forgot to mention that you need to adjust the slack in the cable at the carb end. If you don't there is about an inch of turn before the throttle engages. Defeats the purpose of the upgrade.

Once setup, the tube turns from idle to full throttle in about 45 degrees of turn. It really makes throttle control easier and less taxing on the hand.

I'd recommend it.

Cheers,
    spyug

Comment

I am going to order these parts for my Katana.

Thanks

Comment

will this same r1 throttle work on my 77 750???

Comment

cheap way out

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

i have been considering a 1/4 turn throttle but how does that effect normal riding-- i can see it as a drag racing mod????

Comment

I have one on my bike, and it is fine for normal cruising too, after a few minutes of wrist re-calibration, esp with CV carbs. Now I will be installing RS direct-lift flat slides, and it will probably be a bit tricky with those.

Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

The biggest advantage is it takes the cramping out of your wrist when running at higher revs. With a stock throttle I found I was always adjusting my grip especially after an hour or so of riding and holding revs around 4 to 5k. Basically, you don't turn your hand/wrist as much.

It does get you to full throttle quicker and easier but it is the comfort factor for me.

I'm not sure about it working on other models or brands but I'd imagine it could be modified to fit if necessary and at about $12 US you wouldn't be out too much if it didn't work for you.

Give it a shot I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Cheers,
                Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by jabberjoe87 View Post
                  will this same r1 throttle work on my 77 750???
                  No, it wont fit inside the smaller metal housing they used then. I tried on my 77. BUT Posplayrs idea WILL work on your bike...

Comment

really...pretty cool....so this mod leaves the end of the bars exposed I think(looking at the pic on the fisch). So do you then put the bar ends on it also??? Or can just the tube be used and then use whatever grips you want?
                    I had never even thought about this as an option, but today when I was riding I actually thought about how the throttle was(while I was adjusting my grip on ....well...the grip)..
                    .kinda weird to be reading a thread about it now..

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                      I have one on my bike, and it is fine for normal cruising too, after a few minutes of wrist re-calibration, esp with CV carbs. Now I will be installing RS direct-lift flat slides, and it will probably be a bit tricky with those.

Tony.
                      im running flat slides now and thats my concern

Comment

I needed grips anyway but you could use other grips if you want.

Originally posted by Bribird View Post
                        really...pretty cool....so this mod leaves the end of the bars exposed I think(looking at the pic on the fisch). So do you then put the bar ends on it also??? Or can just the tube be used and then use whatever grips you want?
                        I had never even thought about this as an option, but today when I was riding I actually thought about how the throttle was(while I was adjusting my grip on ....well...the grip)..
                        .kinda weird to be reading a thread about it now..

Comment

Thanks mriddle, It would probably be easier to just use the grips that come mountes on the tube..along with buying the left grip also so it matches. What do they look like...any pics anyone??

Comment

I bought a couple of Yamaha throttle tubes about two years ago and never got around to fitting them on any of my bikes. This thread has just inspired me to go and hunt for them in the shed.

I hope I can find them.

Comment

One more time

OK guys one more time; I know some of you have seen this before but some may not have. I updated the link below to show the captured 1" PCV pipe section that I added to do this modification. If you have the pipe it will take about 15 min to cut, sand and install with no changes to your throttle and no hangups with putting a Yami tub on your GS. It is virtually fool proof .

I just cut a piece of 1" schedule 40 PVC water pipe about 10mm wide and then cut a section out of the ring and it fits right around the throttle tube and is captured inside of the right hand housing. You can glue it as well but not nessesary and no worries about it falling out or glue breaking.

To be clear by adding the PVC pipe you are increasing the radius that the cable pulls on. That means you have to turn the throttle tube through a smaller angle (20% less) to pull in the same length of cable. It also makes it a little harder to turn by 20% harder.

Merry Xmas for that less than $0.25 performance upgrade

Throttle tube goes from 29.6mm dia to 37.5 mm WOT throttle twist drops by 20%. Here is a pic of how much total rotation is required for 0 to WOT on my 81 GS750EX

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Good Luck.

Pos
                              Last edited by posplayr; 05-05-2009, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X