Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

darn oil leak on the stator housing

Hello,

my bike just developed an oil leak on the stator housing gasket I removed the cover to replace the gasket. Is there anything I should do while I have the cover off? Any suggestions would be apperciated.

make sure you get all the old gasket off. also you go ahead and replace all those old screws with some nice new stainless steel allen head screws.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Hi,

Yes, you need clean, even surfaces and a little grease coating on your gasket. Also make sure that you are using the right bolts in the right holes. The cover bolts are not all the same length and some need to go into specific holes. I take mine out in a clockwise direction, then stick them into a piece of paper to keep them in order. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Stripped out screws.

Well, I got the cover off with alot of pain Now the screws are stripped. Is there any stainless steel or black hex head kits that anyone of you have found out there. It is a royal pain in the butt at the hardware stores most of the time they dont have them anyway.
        I also need to know if a exploded view of the stator housing cover is avaliable with the correct length of bolts. It appears during my frustration, the bolts got all mixed up

Comment

Uhmmmm.......what bike ? It doesn't really matter in this case (no pun intended) but, we like to know.

Go here and look up your bike and the bolts you need. They use real Suzuki part numbers and the size of the bolts should be imbedded in the number. Just follow the link and it will explain it.

Welcome to Alpha Sports Online Parts Catalog. Search our Online Store for Arctic Cat parts and accessories. We have one of the largest parts inventories on the Web. Authorized Dealer for Arctic Cat, CF Moto and AlphaSports. Hyosung Motorcycles. Pre-Order your 2014 Arctic Cat Snowmobiles and Arctic Cat Atv's, ETon ATV's, CF Moto Motorcycles. Snowmobile Parts, ATV Parts.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Sorry, folks

Sorry folk, I should tell you what bike I have. It is a 1979 GS 550E Take a look at my pics. Not bad for $500 bucks

Comment

If you have ACE hardware stores local to you give them a try. I've always found the one's local to me carry a good selection of metric stainless and chrome allen head bolts. Always been able to find what I need there.
              It's smoke that make electronic components work.
              Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
              '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
              '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
              '82 GS1000SZ
              '82 GS1100GL
              '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Stripped them? Crikey, hey look in the future if you dont have an impact driver...

get correct screw driver and place it into the head. Find a spanner big enough to grip the handle of the screw driver... get a hammer... hit end of screw driver while slowly turning spanner... *instant impact driver* ...oh and FYI you dont need three hands - hit once and the screwdriver will stay in screw by itself.

Comment

back together

Well, it is back together and no leaks. Hitting the road!

Comment

Working...
                  X