First Gen GSXR1100 Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Gen GSXR1100 Suspension

Is there enough of a benefit from fitting such old components (1987)? Had suspension tech progressed enough in 4 years to make the swap worthwhile? There is a batch of parts going cheap here, and my GS has yet to elicit any response from the classified ad, so I'm thinking I might just turn it into a long term project, starting with the suspension. A 160 rear and a 110 front don't seem to be much of an upgrade in size, although I must admit the radials on my Bandit are light years ahead of the old bias hoop on the GS in terms of inspiring confidence in the turns, so I would love if it the GSXR wheels could give the same feel. He is also selling the front as a complete unit with triple, calipers and clip-ons with controls. I could have everything I need to swap over, including the rear tire for about $500.

Damn straight it's worth it. You're going to bigger stronger forks with electronic antidive (which apparently works much better than the GS set up as it doesn't involve the brake system) four pot calipers on floating rotors (one GS rotor weighs the same or more than BOTH the gixxers) and radial, wider tires. Even using the stock 1100swingarm it's a nice nice upgrade and looks almost bone stock on an 83 1100E as the early wheel casting was nearly identical to the GS.

Comment

500$ seem to be a bit high.
      I have the same kit here but for a 1986 gsxr750.
      I can PM you pics.
      Marc
      AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
      1978 GS1000C X2
      1978 GS1000E X2
      1979 GS1000S
      1979 gs1000
      1983 gs400e

Comment

I'd never go back ....

Comment

de ja vu

Comment

500.00 is a good deal for all the stuff...if it includes rims, brake calipers (all 3), rotors, forks and triples. The 750 forks are shorter than the 1100 forks, so be cautious about ground clearance.

Even though the early gsxr forks are damper rod units, they are superior to the GS components hands down. I had 1st gen 1100 bits on mine, and sold them to Jim (poslayr)...I am in the process of gathering running gear (to include swingarm) from 2nd gen bandit 1200s to mod for fitment to my GS.
            Modern cartridge forks, 6 piston calipers up front...gonna be awesome!!

Good luck and post some pics of your bike!!!!
            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Originally posted by saffa View Post
              de ja vu
              Yeah, I'm a lazy typist. Anyhow, there's enough good people here and at oldskool that it would be stupid not to ask everybody.

Comment

Agreed the price is more than fair.

Comment

Same bikes....

It's a bit of work but definitely gives it the modern feel.... Mine is the 5.5" rear wheel with a 170 but easier to go 160 with a 4.5".

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'll vouch on the work....

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                      I'll vouch on the work....

That looks cool.

I want to upgrade front and rear ends on one of my GS1150 EF (sans fairings) but am a bit worried about the 4" trade off of fork length going to 90's model GSXR front ends. Surely the already front heavy bias would get even worse and change rake and trail by default of the 3.5" lowered head stock. (assuming .5" gained back in change from 16" to 17" wheel)
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2010, 07:55 AM.

Comment

You can fit a stepped Honda top triple to gain some extra height on the USD forks. GSXR1100 forks are longer to start with. 1150 should be same as my 750.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Roger is it the one on Kijiji here in Ottawa because his price is not 500 it is a lot less.

PM sent.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            You can fit a stepped Honda top triple to gain some extra height on the USD forks. GSXR1100 forks are longer to start with. 1150 should be same as my 750.
                            The stepped Honda triple clamp sounds like a cunning plan. Still looking for GSXR1100 front end. They don't seem to come up often.

I did a google and ebay search for 'stepped Honda top triple clamp' but got nowhere. Any chance of some more clues.. model type age etc?

Cheers

Have decided to run with cut down fork springs and spacers and the Monster shock for the new old GS1150 I just got. That leaves the road clear for a more betterer upgrade for Baz (the old old GS1150)

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
                              The stepped Honda triple clamp sounds like a cunning plan. Still looking for GSXR1100 front end. They don't seem to come up often.

I did a google and ebay search for 'stepped Honda top triple clamp' but got nowhere. Any chance of some more clues.. model type age etc?

Cheers

Have decided to run with cut down fork springs and spacers and the Monster shock for the new old GS1150 I just got. That leaves the road clear for a more betterer upgrade for Baz (the old old GS1150)
                              from Katman
                              2002 cbr 954 step down tripes with Vortex billit top triple

Comment

Working...
                              X