Kranker's 79 GS1000 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kranker's 79 GS1000 build

Well i thought i would start a build thread on here since I know everyone likes pics. First a little back ground. I have been riding bike for sometime and my wife is going on to her second year. I love all bikes. I have no favorite brand. I currently ride a 04 Harley Electra Glide and my wife rides a 03 sporty. In the early 90's I had a FZ750 and my buddy had a 80 GS and i was always impressed with the bike. We took them both drag racing and he had no problem running me down. Since then I have always had a soft spot for them. So when my wife started talking about getting a bike she could drag race I thought this would be a good time to pic up one of these beast and use it for both that and also just to cruise around. I originally bought this 79 to convert into a drag/cafe bike. I wanted newer suspension from a GSXR and also a flat tracker style single seat pan. She really likes the old school look of the original equipment.

Here is the 79 that i started with. Ran really rough but I only paid $150.

So i got to stripping the frame down to clean it up. Figured I would work out the build details as I went and also work on my wife about the newer suspension.

Here is the frame after I have cut and ground most of the unwanted tabs off. I have decided to cut off the lower subframe and place a new bar up higher after I cleaned up the other ones.

Then fate stepped in and I found a 78 GS1000 on CL about a 3 1 /2 hour drive from me. So i went and picked it up for $400.
    This one is going to be for my wife. I will remove the fairing and install some lower bars and also a headlight and front turn signals. So this frees me up to do what ever I want to what has become my 79 GS1000 . Here is a pic of her 78 GS1000.

Fate was really smiling on me. When i found her GS I also found a guy just one hour north of her bike that was parting out a GSXR750. So i cut a deal for the complete front end for $350.

As you can see i also have gotten a new rear suspension from a 06 GSXR600. That I got from EB. $280 shipped to my door.

That is all I have for you so far. As soon as do some more I will update.

Thanks to all who have help me with my newbie question and for welcoming me to this great website.

P.S. Please don't hold the harleys against me!!!

Krank
    Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2011, 12:42 AM. Reason: spelling

I'm looking forward to your progress, I've subscribed.

Comment

if your gonna drag race or modify those bikes, you have some great stock parts to sell or trade.. That 78 seat is worth a bit of money as well as the exhaust and such.. So are a lot of the 79 parts.. l

Comment

Thanks guys. I am willing to part with most of it. So if anyone needs something please let me know.

Didn't get much done this weekend winter weather messed up the schedule for christmas with the families so that ate into my "free time". All I got done was removing some of the parts off of my wife 78 that she doesn't want on it. Got the fairing,bars and luggage rack off. i put some lower bars off of the parts bike to see if my wife likes the feel of the lower bars. She does so I am going to order some new ones.
        Here is a pic of the changes and also of my wife on it. I think she is happy with it..

Comment

nice. in my yoga pants and slippers, lol!
          i am loving that bike!

now get to work on it!

Comment

I like the t-shirt!!! maybe we have a shot this year..

Comment

Originally posted by rachnett View Post
              nice. in my yoga pants and slippers, lol!
              i am loving that bike!

now get to work on it!
              Where in Iowa?

Comment

[QUOTE=jwhelan65;1330814]I like the t-shirt!!! maybe we have a shot this year..[/QUOT

oh i hope so, but i'm not holding my breath, lol!
                we are about 30 minutes south west of Waterloo.

Comment

Originally posted by rachnett View Post
                  i am loving that bike!

now get to work on it!

The recipient of the bike, could start polishing and waxing...

Daniel

Comment

7981GS, i think you may be on to something..
                    lol

Comment

what?
                      Polish. Wax.
                      come on now, can't i hire that done? lol!!!

Comment

Man I can't imagine having a wife that actually ENCOURAGED my GS addiction. I would be in trouble for sure. Be careful Kranker or your garage will soon look like this (and I have 2 more not in garage at moment!):

By the way Kranker's wife congrats on your skunk! ( a '78 GS1000 in black/white livery is affectionately known as a skunk). You're going to love it.

Comment

Thanks Russ. I can't wait for spring to get her so i can actually get it out of the shop and ride it!
                          and you have a very nice assortment of bikes there!!

Comment

Thanks Rachnett. You'll see my '78 in the background there; have to say she was my first GS and still my favorite. Check out the GS Discussion forum tomorrow for my newest addition.

BTW polishing and cleaning is a huge PITA sometimes but it will definitely bond you to the bike. Just go out and polish or clean a little each few days! There is a great video series on Youtube called "Clean your Motorcycle" parts 1-4. It is excellent and will transform that Skunk from a beater to beauty in no time!
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2010, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks Russ, I really like these bikes. I have a feeling this is going to be alot of fun..
                              congrats on your great collection..

Kranker

Comment

Working...
                              X