Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100g '83 Full Wiring Loom Rebuild

G'day guys.
    Just pulled the wiring loom off the GS, I followed the cables as I disconnected them and labelled them (for the cables which I knew). And removed all the black tape around the loom.

It looks like someone has been here before, and made one hell of a mess....

I'll be simplifying the wiring, and removing a whole lot of stuff that I just dont want/need/hope I dont need.

I'm basically following POSPLAYER's simplified wiring diagram. And then adding the controls...might be a few modifications here and there.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Nothin like some FRESH CABLE! ohhh Yeah.

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
    G'day guys.
    Just pulled the wiring loom off the GS, I followed the cables as I disconnected them and labelled them (for the cables which I knew). And removed all the black tape around the loom.

It looks like someone has been here before, and made one hell of a mess....

I'll be simplifying the wiring, and removing a whole lot of stuff that I just dont want/need/hope I dont need.

I'm basically following POSPLAYER's simplified wiring diagram. And then adding the controls...might be a few modifications here and there.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Nothin like some FRESH CABLE! ohhh Yeah.

good luck; let me know if you have any issues

Comment

Thanks mate!

I've cut the cables to length for what I need based on your diagram. Only confusion I've hit is that my signal generator has 2 plugs.
      One set goes to the Ignition coils (which I've cabled up already)

And the other set run into the AC generator. I'm not rewiring that part of the plug, as the connector is in good condition and the cables are very clean.

Your diagram shows 1 plug for the signal generator....If I leave out the part of your diagram of the Signal generator -> ignitor I think it should be ok..

Thoughts ?

Comment

Another question.
        I'm reusing my old plastic connectors....just for the Fuse box, and the ignitor boxes..

Is there any way to get the metal prong out of the plastic box, or do I have to cut and solder to the existing cable.
        I'd prefer to get the metal prong out, as I want to use my fresh new cable for the entire length of the cable...

If anyone has a technique please let me know..I've seen someone slide a metal fork under it and release it, but its not working and I dont want to damage the plastic connector.
        cheers.

Comment

Thanks mate!

I've cut the cables to length for what I need based on your diagram. Only confusion I've hit is that my signal generator has 2 plugs.
          One set goes to the Ignition coils (which I've cabled up already)

And the other set run into the AC generator. I'm not rewiring that part of the plug, as the connector is in good condition and the cables are very clean.

Your diagram shows 1 plug for the signal generator....If I leave out the part of your diagram of the Signal generator -> ignitor I think it should be ok..

Thoughts ?
          It's Ok here. I think i've worked that part out. My Ignitor takes 2 sets of plugs, One set goes to the signal generator, which I have left as per OEM, and the other set goes to the coils, which I have fully replaced.

Comment

OK. Here's my update.

I've cut, and laid out cables that are required.
            I've changed the colours of some of the cables, just due to not being able to get all the colours that are OEM.
            I've made a chart of the colours of the cables I've changed, but I've been over the loom about 1000 times now, i basically know each colour off by heart!

I have soldered the joins where a cable is spliced and branches out, and cable tied the loom together temporarily.

I've worked out how to get the metal prongs out of the plastic connectors, so I can re-use the connectors.
            Tomorrow i'll be buying the metal prongs and spades that I need, as I didn't purchase those yet.
            Then hopefully by tomorrow evening, I'll have a completed wiring loom and i'll hook it up and see if she's all good!

And some pics for all of yall.

My workstation (living room floor, timber soldering iron holder, and cardboard -- so not to drop any solder on the carpet!)

Semi completed Loom...just needs prongs/connectors and some heat shrink.

Comment

Another question.
              I'm reusing my old plastic connectors....just for the Fuse box, and the ignitor boxes..

Is there any way to get the metal prong out of the plastic box, or do I have to cut and solder to the existing cable.
              I'd prefer to get the metal prong out, as I want to use my fresh new cable for the entire length of the cable...

If anyone has a technique please let me know..I've seen someone slide a metal fork under it and release it, but its not working and I dont want to damage the plastic connector.
              cheers.

Look on ebay for a little set of tools to remove those clips. Looks like a flat screwdriver and you slip it behind the blade to release the clip. They come in different sizes. I am off to school, but I'll look later for you and send the link. Cheap set, about 8 dollars or so.

Comment

You can get the tool here for your connectors. Price went up 15.00. Anyway here is the link. Found this site on BassCliffs website when I was looking to replace connectors. They also sell the vintage connectors if you just want to buy new ones. Might save some time and most of the tips are gold plated. At least mine were. http://www.vintageconnections.com/ Hope this helps. Mike

Comment

Thanks guys.
                  Yeah I saw the vintage connections......I am using generic new connectors for anything that is going to plug INTO the bike. Not the bullet connectors. i really hate those. So they are easy to buy.
                  The only trouble is getting the connectors for the ignitor and the connectors for the fuse box. I was considering replacing the fuse box, but if its not broke....

So i'll be salvaging those connectors and adding/replacing all other connectors....
                  Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Thanks guys.
                    Yeah I saw the vintage connections......I am using generic new connectors for anything that is going to plug INTO the bike. Not the bullet connectors. i really hate those. So they are easy to buy.
                    The only trouble is getting the connectors for the ignitor and the connectors for the fuse box. I was considering replacing the fuse box, but if its not broke....

So i'll be salvaging those connectors and adding/replacing all other connectors....
                    Hope that makes sense.
                    Not sure what style fuse box you have, if it is crimp style you can use an acid etch (like navel jelly) to clean the crimped contacts and then solder them. regardless the connections between R/R and battery need to be low impedance.

In the picture below, I acid etched teh corrosion off, washed with water and then soldered the crimps.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      regardless the connections between R/R and battery need to be low impedance.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this....I've done some reading on impedance and cables. How Do I ensure that the connections are low impedance? By ensuring that the cables are as short as possible?

Comment

Can you please clarify what you mean by this....I've done some reading on impedance and cables. How Do I ensure that the connections are low impedance? By ensuring that the cables are as short as possible?

If you have a crimp style fuse box, the crimps can corrode inside of the fuse box. That causes high resistance (sorry impedance is just a more general term for resistance). Corroded crimps can cause voltage drops (1/2 volt is common).

On the picture I showed, I used some Naval Jelly to dissolve the corrosion and make the copper shiny again. The copper needs to be clean to reduce the resistance and get the solder to stick that you will melt into those crimps.

Most times wire length is not the issue, all the voltage drops are in the connections and especially in the dry crimps(which corrode). I always try to clean them and flow some solder into them if possible

Comment

Ah ok makes sense now. My fusebox takes a 6 plug connector. The terminals on the spades are clean and there is no sign of corrosion so I think it should be ok. however I will clean them just to be sure..

Comment

Ah ok makes sense now. My fusebox takes a 6 plug connector. The terminals on the spades are clean and there is no sign of corrosion so I think it should be ok. however I will clean them just to be sure..

The crimps would be inside the fuse box not in the connector. That picture is a crimp style fuse box with the plastic back off.
                            Each side of the individual fuse holders has that crimp.

In contrast my GS1100ED fuse box is solid brass with no crimps so no need to solder but a cleaning with theh Navel Jelly is still a good idea

Comment

OK I understand now. I'll pull the back off the fuse box and have a sticky beak.
                              Will get some loctite or australian equivalent on the way home!

Comment

Working...
                              X