Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprockets

How do i remove the front sprocket on my bike i have a 1982 GS550L

Welcome. Remove the shift linkage and sprocket cover. Keep the chain on or put it back on (at least drape it over the tops of the sprockets without slack). Flatten the lock washer under the front sprocket nut and hold the rear brake. It's torqued down to about 45 ft-lbs, 32mm socket.

I just did this last weekend and took pictures. Could post them if interested.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2011, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I recommend an air wrench, it moves fast. Chck the alignment before and after you are done, there may be shims installed behind to align with the rear sprocket.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

i dont have access to an air wrench, wish i did, i would like to see your pictures anything can help

Comment

Here you go.

Bike in neutral, up on center stand.

Remove the two bolts holding on the front peg. Remove the shift linkage pinch bolt and snap ring (don't lose the washer behind it).

The linkage pulls straight off. Now remove the six bolts (6mm socket) holding on the sprocket cover. Watch they are three different sizes during re-assembly. This is an 82 550L like yours, the clutch cable will still be attached but you can leave it there. I just bungee'd the cover out of the way. Having a couple of cans of brake-kleen read is nice, 'cos it's going to be dirty back there.

Flatten the lock washer holding the sprocket nut using a screwdriver and mallet or similar.

Use the rear brake (chain must still be on!) to hold the sprocket steady and loosen the nut with a 32mm socket. That torques on at about 45 lb-ft IIRC. An assistant helps, or stand on the brake and bend over the bike.

Installation is reverse of removal (call me Mr. Chilton).

Is your chain stretched? Are you just replacing the front sprocket and not the chain/rear sprocket? The front sprocket is the easy part of that whole job. But a new sprocket with an old chain will accelerate wear of both.

Comment

A 2x2 through the rear wheel against the swing arm is another way to hold the wheel if you don't have anyone to step on the brake pedal for you.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I had my daughter step on the rear brake while I used a breaker bar with a socket on mine.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Wilee7,

Let me dump a TON of information on you (click the links below) and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these issues must be addressed in order to have a safe and reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X