Norton reverse-cone silencers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norton reverse-cone silencers!

I finally fulfilled my dream of putting Norton silencers on the gs. Ahhhh, what beautiful music they make!

It took me about two weeks to decide how to hack up the donor system (I preserved the originals for posterity), and then another week or so for it to finally come together.

There was no welding involved, only hacking with a saw. Everything you need is within the old muffler.

They do not seem to make it run lean. Increasingly longer rides to follow for checking. Sorry for the poor res, I will post a sound clip on youtube soon.

So Whaddyall think? Butchery, or a new source of life?[IMG]file:///Users/teacher/Desktop/reverse=cone/0320112153.jpg[/IMG]

Cheers everyone!

Looks great from the picture..

Did you take any pictures during the operation
    Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2011, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Sweet !
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hey Jeb,

I'm going to have to check out your new mufflers. They look good.

As for this: [IMG]file:///Users/teacher/Desktop/reverse=cone/0320112153.jpg[/IMG]

The image code works only for images hosted online, like at Photobucket or similar image hosting service. It doesn't work when linked from your computer.

Let's get together after all this rain goes away.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Looks great! Any tips on the installation? I 've be considering reverse cone mufflers for a while as opposed to a 4/1 pipe.

Comment

Very Classy! Well done.

Comment

Nice

How did you get them attached? I was looking at my take-off 850G system. I didn't think that theer was any actual tubing to clamp the pipes to. It really looks great with the pea shooters.

I wish you could get decent Dunstall replicas, or real Dunstalls.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

A few pics of the 'operation' or a tutorial would be fantastic. These are quite elegant mufflers and look great in your pic. More info!

Comment

Silencer update

Thanks for the responses. You guys are great. Here is a link to the youtube video of the bike running and some commentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WEJXqC2QMM. The sound quality sucks. Sorry!

The basic procedure:

1) Buy a donor set of pipes off ebay or the like that you can cut up without guilt. Even just one side to practice on. This made me feel much better.

2) Purchase a good hacksaw.

3) Grasp the pipe/muffler unit at the collector

4) Eyeball about 4" away from the collector/muffler joint weld towards the end of the muffler

5) Using the free hand, pick up the saw, put it on the muffler, and start cutting. Don't stop until the leg is off.

6) The tricky part: draw a line with a sharpie just outside of the shield attachment points, then carefully cut away the outer chrome portion of the muffler. Don't cut the inner pipe.

7) You are now left with the internal pipe from the original mufflers sticking out about 2" from the shield mounts. This is ALMOST 1 3/8" in diameter, and will accept the Norton silencers, available from your local brit shop.

8) Cut away the area between the shield mount points on the inside face of the collector. This will make the end of the collector look like a "C". Now you can slip a clamp in there just enough to get it down to the end of the stub, and tighten it up. I still haven't found a clamp that seals to my liking. Might have to modify the end of the silencer by cutting more slots in it.

9) Make some z brackets for the mufflers to attach to the frame.

10) You're done! Go riding and check for mixture problems. I haven't had any (yet!).

Questions?

Cheers, Jeb

Comment

and hope the inner tubes on the stockers arent rotted out like mine were

Comment

Love the look! Those and the old "Cocktail Shakers" have always been at the top of my list.
                      I thought about trying that with my stockers before buying the Kerker... Harley Sportster take offs are a similar look and all over e-bay for $5 or so. That is what I put on my GL1100.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                        I wish you could get decent Dunstall replicas, or real Dunstalls.
                        AFAIK, replica Dunstalls are still available from Niche Cycle & probably J.C. Whitney as well....no idea as to to the quality, though.
                        They do look great on that sharp red & black 850!
                        '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                          AFAIK, replica Dunstalls are still available from Niche Cycle & probably J.C. Whitney as well....no idea as to to the quality, though.
                          They do look great on that sharp red & black 850!
                          Here the Dunstalls on my Commando, around 1979. There are no replicas that are anything like this that I have seen. Note the overall length, lack of seam at the big end, and reverse taper at the big end.

The replicas I have seen are nothing like real ones.

I crashed those pipes off of it on US 1 In Carmel about '81, unfortunately.
                          Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-23-2011, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Dunstalls

Dunstalls are available locally and through the web at Steadfast Cycles in so cal, and Century Cycles in San Pedro. Century might even have REAL Dunstalls (there you go, Paul) since they've been around so long.

I chose the reverse cones for two reasons: one, they remind me of my commando I sold and now no longer can afford to replace; and two, they were an easy fit on the old stubs.

The reverse cones are a bit louder than I wanted, but the graft seems to be taking with no signs of rejection. Did a plug inspection and did not find anything to show hot running, but I haven't gone on the freeway yet either.

I'll keep you all updated.

Comment

I used to go on BSA OC club rides out of Century Cycles. One of George Genovich's sons worked there too. George being the owner of the local Norton Hot Rod shop HPI in Garden Grove.

I really like the Pea Shooters though. I was just thinking out loud. I would replace the Pea Shooters on both my Commandos If I could find Dunstalls I could afford.

It looks like you don't need any exhaust parts from me any more do you? I would like to see more of how you did what you did though.

Comment

Working...
                              X