• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big bore kits gs450

looking for any info on a big bore kit for a 1982 GS450T

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. TyFerris,

I don't think there's any such thing as a big bore kit for a 450. If you've got the skill I suppose you could put in a pair of GS500 pistons. The motors are very similar. But for all the expense and time, I think it would be cheaper and easier just to buy a bigger bike.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well, how brave are you ?

More info:
      Place your 2 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

After 1980 i believe the gs400 425, 450, 500 have the same base engine and only change the cylinder block and head. Before 1980 the block had roller bearings and the head configuration doesn't line up properly with anything after 1980.

If you bore your cylinders from 71mm to 74mm that would make it a 486cc.

75mm would make it a 500cc and you would only have 2 mm sidewall left.

I'm assuming that you have a 4mm sidewall when the bore is stock at 71mm.

Big bore kits for 750's can be applied to the twins if you can find them.

The gs4xx piston's have an 18mm wrist pin.

The 1100's have more options for pistons but I'm not sure how the valve recesses would compare and they might require modification.

Cometic makes 450 head gaskets in what ever size bore you want starting at $48 for felt type and $57 for copper reusable gasket.

http://cometic.com/powersports.aspx nothing on the website but if you call them they do have stuff available in their database

It is possible, not cheap, Performance would increase, but would it be enough to satisfy?

Oh one more thing , It has been done

GS450 bored to 527cc. Big head, big cams.

Its a 450 with a 500 cylinder block bored to hold GR650 pistons. That makes it a 527. I think the head is from a 500 but i can be sure which year.
      Last edited by Mekanix; 05-05-2011, 11:34 PM.
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
      X