Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new fork springs & stainless brake lines

Hey guys,

I am looking to do an upgrade of my fork springs on my 1982 1100E and also replace the brake lines. I'm looking at a set of Progressive springs, as well as Galfer stainless lines. Right now both forks and brake lines are original stock.

A couple of questions:

I think it probably makes sense to do both upgrades at the same time. Any reason I shouldn't?
    Also, I have the anti-dive stuff still all connected, and will be running both new brake lines directly from the MC to the calipers. One of the anti-dive units is weeping fork oil ever so slightly right where it mates to the fork. When people disconnect the anti-dive unit, do they just leave the hardware in place? Is it possible to remove the thing entirely? I'm wondering if it will be just as easy to remove the whole device as opposed to trying to fix the leak.

I suppose I'll know more once I get the thing apart, but thought I'd ask before I dive in headlong (my usual mode.)

Thanks in advance!

these are better springs if you like going a round corners.

Comment

No reason not to do both mads at the same time.
      Most people that disconnect the anti-dive leave the unit on the forks.
      One member here made some one-off block off plates to replace them.
      As for the seeping, there is one O-ring between the unit and the forks. Just replace it when you are rebuilding the forks.

Daniel

Comment

Perfect, thanks for the help guys. Time to start ordering stuff!

Comment

Hi,

I have Progressive fork springs and Goodridge brake lines on my bike. Others have ordered pre-made sets of lines for good prices from Ebay sellers. Here are other options for brake lines...

Brake Lines - Stainless steel lines, stock kits, custom kits
          http://www.spieglerusa.com/
          http://www.h-e-lusa.com/
          You are at the best online source for buying Motorcycle Part and Accessory - Motorcycle Racing Brakes, Brakes Motorcycle Performance, Motorcycle Disc Brakes, Brembo Motorcycle Brakes, EBC Motorcycle Brakes, Honda Motorcycle Part, Suzuki Motorcycle Part, Performance Brake Rotors, Yamaha Motorcycle Part, BMW Motorcycle Part, Kawasaki Motorcycle Part, Aftermarket Motorcycle Part, Custom Motorcycle Part, Ceramic Brake Pad, EBC Brake Pad, EBC, EBC Brakes. You can buy Motorcycle Brakes, Brake Rotor, Brake Pad, Brake Line, ATV Brake, Brake Disc, Wave Rotor, Braking Systems, Galfer Brakes, Sport-bike Brakes, Steel braided Brake Lines, Custom Brake Lines, Dirt-bike Brake Lines, Harley-Davidson Brakes, MX Brakes, Brake Fluid, Racing Brakes, Performance Brakes at affordable prices.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2011, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Sonic springs are awesome .. and Rich is great to work with.

webmaster@sonicsprings.com

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
            these are better springs if you like going a round corners.
            http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=31

Comment

Thanks again guys. I did end up getting the sonic springs. Also bought a set of custom lines from Galfer, they were $140 for both front and rear, which seemed to be about the same as other places I checked.

Now the worst part--waiting for all my parts to arrive

Comment

So I am right up to my elbows in these projects and I realize Galfer sent the wrong thread type for the banjo bolts. They don't fit!

And of course my whole front brake setup is in pieces. So, I am thinking I install the new lines with the old bolts and the new copper washers. Seems to fit fine finger tight...any thoughts? I'm trying to get ready for a trip to Gaspe peninsula in a week (!) and wanted everything ready to rock.

Comment

I have the Galfer lines on the front of my GS. The stock banjo bolts did not work, the Galfer banjo is thinner than stock. Yours may be different, however. Take your caliper (the measuring kind) and measure the thickness of the Galfer banjos compared to stock. If they are the same you should be fine. If they are thinner, as mine are, you cannot.
                  BTW, the Galfer lines, though seldom mentioned here on GSR, are most excellent and completely removed the mushy feeling I used to have with my front brakes.

Comment

Just saw your msg Kool-Aid, but I had already installed the old bolts. I did eyeball the banjos, they looked to be the same, and more importantly the fluid channel/hole in the bolt seemed to line up with the center of the banjo, so I figured it woud be OK. Bled the lines with my Mity-vac and ran it this afternoon. Definitely an improvement over the rubber lines, but not rock hard. I can pull the lever about 1/2 way to the grip. I will try tying the lever down overnight.

Now the suspension --WOW. Huuuuuuge difference in performance. Those high speed bursts are a hell of a lot more stable. Haven't done enough twisties to tell on cornering, but already I have to say thank you Sonic Springs!

Comment

=Grand Rouge;1473993]Now the suspension --WOW. Huuuuuuge difference in performance. Those high speed bursts are a hell of a lot more stable. Haven't done enough twisties to tell on cornering, but already I have to say thank you Sonic Springs!

My Sonic Springs will be here Monday.......and SS lines from Rennsport too........ What spacer (if any) length did you require on yer GS?

I ordered the 1.0 kg/cm units.......for my 220 weight.

Thanks

Grand Rouge
                      83 1100E
                      The springs come with instructions for cutting the spacers, just follow those. Spacer length for a different bike (even if it's the same model) may not be correct for yours.
                      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Working...
                      X