Valve cover gasket thickness- Real Gasket vs Stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover gasket thickness- Real Gasket vs Stock

I know Nessism mentioned the critical thickness of the valve cover gasket in reference to the use (or misuse) of RealGaskets on the 550/650, but what is the actual thickness of a stock valve cover gasket for the '83 GS650G? Are all the gaskets in the engine the same thickness?

I didn't see the information in the service manual, but I may have missed it. Is the thickness coded in the part number like engine bolts?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Just picked up that tappet adjusting tool if you need it.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Not sure of the stock thickness, but, I'm curious why you ask ? Are you planning on making your own ?

The issue is really the placement of the tach gear drive on different models. If it's in the valve cover, then a Real gasket is a no-no because the gears for tach drive won't mesh correctly with the ones on the exhaust cam.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
        Not sure of the stock thickness, but, I'm curious why you ask ? Are you planning on making your own ?

The issue is really the placement of the tach gear drive on different models. If it's in the valve cover, then a Real gasket is a no-no because the gears for tach drive won't mesh correctly with the ones on the exhaust cam.
        That's it exactly. I have a roll of gasket material and I'm going to be in and out of the valves a bit over the next couple of months, checking and replacing shims, etc, so thought I'd try making a gasket.

I eyeballed the thickness of the one that is currently on there, and gave it a bit of extra thickness to account for compression, and I think I'm okay, but I really don't want to mess up the tach/exhaust gearing.
        '83 GS650G

Comment

On your 650G, you don't want a Real Gasket.

You may have figured that out by now.

Why do you think you will be in there multiple times? At the worst, you will be in there twice, and if you wait patiently for your shims, it will only be ONCE.

Regardless, when you put your new gasket in, coat it with a light film of oil or WD-40. It will still seal very well, and will be much easier to remove next time you will be adjusting the valves.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            On your 650G, you don't want a Real Gasket.

You may have figured that out by now.

Why do you think you will be in there multiple times? At the worst, you will be in there twice, and if you wait patiently for your shims, it will only be ONCE.

Regardless, when you put your new gasket in, coat it with a light film of oil or WD-40. It will still seal very well, and will be much easier to remove next time you will be adjusting the valves.

Hi Steve,

I dove in once already, but ran out of time to inventory the shims. I now have the tappet depressor so I am ready to go at it again. I noticed when I was in there that one valve cover bolt was sheared off, the "extra" one from the newer covers and that is going to have to come out at some point, as I think I'm getting a little leak at that point.

The gasket currently on there was treated well by a PO, and 99.9% of it was fine, and could have been reused but for a slight, incomplete tear near the front left, inside bolt. A small leak is apparent there as well.

I'm also anticipating pulling the head at some point this winter to deal with the shorn exhaust pipe header bolts, as I'm not geared up to drill and/or weld in my garage. Taking the head out of the bike and delivering it to the shop will save me a tonne of cash.

Basically, I'm counting on Murphy making an appearance, and would like to be ready if he does.
            '83 GS650G

Comment

The gasket thickness isn't as critical as you are thinking. As long as you are using a paper gasket like you are suggesting you won't trash your tacho drive.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
              X