semi-floating brake rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

semi-floating brake rotors

I know these are on later bikes and no old GSes have them, but I'll pose the question.
    Anybody use them and have replaced the "buttons" on them whether an after market mod on a GS or on a modern bike you own?
    There shouldn't be any fore/aft movement, just a slight side to side if any play, correct? How much difference between semi and full floating?
    Size of buttons for a 2000 Bandit 1200S? Good source at a what price?

Here's what I'm talking about....about $7/each x 9 per rotor!
    Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2011, 01:42 PM.

Interesting product. Never heard of doing that before.

Knowing this place, somebody may know of a floating rotor that's a bolt up installation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajay View Post
      Interesting product. Never heard of doing that before.

Knowing this place, somebody may know of a floating rotor that's a bolt up installation.
      EBC do them. Only about £180 each.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I'm not encouraging a semi-floating rotor mod as I think it's really not necessary for most street riding and a feature that has more benefits on the racetrack or dragstrip. And I'm not sure my Bandit and other current sport touring bikes needed it as a stock feature either. But maybe this will be a new hot topic for the GS forum....and I'm curious of the ideas on changing OEM buttons. I will have to look closer to see if there are clips like the aftermarket replacements or I would have to drill them out...

Comment

What is the supposed advantage?
          I have them on a few bikes, other than the fact that they get loose with age I can't tell any difference...
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            I have them on a few bikes, other than the fact that they get loose with age I can't tell any difference...
            Read the link in my original post that covers the supposed advantages. Right now, I'd wish my Bandit didn't have them so I didn't have to figure out if I have to replace them or not.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              AP Racing, the Coventry, UK-based company is a key supplier and the leading manufacturer of performance brake and clutch systems for road and race cars.
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

On a closer looks, it appears the wave washers are missing pieces that have broken off giving the slop and movement. The stock buttons don't have retainer clips and will have to be drilled or cut off. Anyone done this before and used aftermarket buttons, wave washers, and retainer clip kits? If so what was the easier way to remove the stock button? Drill? cut with a Dremel tool?

Comment

I think it's a gimmick and I would not put it on my bike. The calipers are floating already. Having loose rotors can't possibly make a non-trivial, positive performance difference on my GS550.

So there, now I have weighed in on the thread you keep quoting in other threads.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post
                    I think it's a gimmick and I would not put it on my bike. The calipers are floating already. Having loose rotors can't possibly make a non-trivial, positive performance difference on my GS550.

So there, now I have weighed in on the thread you keep quoting in other threads.
                    There, now don't you feel better? The air gets pretty thick in OT.

The semi-floaters are stock on the Bandit and a lot of newer bikes. I agree that the concept is unnecessary on most street bike riding.
                    But now I have to fix them. Maybe someone can pipe in a fixed type from what bike to match a Bandit 1200 wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                      There, now don't you feel better? The air gets pretty thick in OT.

The semi-floaters are stock on the Bandit and a lot of newer bikes. I agree that the concept is unnecessary on most street bike riding.
                      But now I have to fix them. Maybe someone can pipe in a fixed type from what bike to match a Bandit 1200 wheel?
                      there are plenty on ebay mate that will fit your bike, new or second hand. i wouldnt trust a s/h disc but there are suzuki discs or aftermarket discs that will fit
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Ahh, the polystix threads are no problem. They're like playing a video game - until JJ's friends in the Obama regime sic the IRS on ya.

Comment

Steve take both of your bandit rotors in your left hand, and ONE of your GS rotors in your right hand. Notice anything? That's what makes em worth it.

As far as replacing the buttons, I wouldn't bother. You can get a full set of Galfer wave knock-offs out of china for less than $200. And they're actually damn good rotors. Better than OEM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            Steve take both of your bandit rotors in your left hand, and ONE of your GS rotors in your right hand. Notice anything? That's what makes em worth it.

As far as replacing the buttons, I wouldn't bother. You can get a full set of Galfer wave knock-offs out of china for less than $200. And they're actually damn good rotors. Better than OEM.
                            i have kagazumi front and rear wavy discs. top quality, perfect brakes all for £120. not a true "floater" on the front but it works well and looks good
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

The buttons aren't cheap. I would need 9 per rotor and the 12 pack is $76 + shipping:

...about $150/ea for a whole new rotor, any feedback on EBC brand?

Comment

Working...
                              X