Motor Prep for paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor Prep for paint

Ok guys, I'm getting my motor cleaned up for paint. Simple Green and a bottle brush works wonders. I still have a lot of imperfections in the paint on the case.

What's the best way to prep my motor for paint? I've searched and seen a lot about tank, frame, side covers, etc. Haven't been able to find a thread that is specifically what I am looking for?

What's the next step? Paint remover/stripper? Aircraft Paint remover?

I eventually want to go with VHT primer and Universal Aluminum.

Sanding by hand always works but on my last one I used a soda blaster and it worked great! far better than I had expected.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
      Sanding by hand always works but on my last one I used a soda blaster and it worked great! far better than I had expected.
      I'm a little concerned about soda getting in the motor. It breaks down in water but not in oil. You didn't have any problems with that?

Comment

Sealed up the exhaust and intake ports with good tape and just stayed away from blasting directly at those points too much. Soda blasting doesn't take too much pressure so it wasn't a problem. Blew most of it off with air afterward then water and a brush. Worked out fine for me. There's probably a lot of threads/mentions of prepping a block for paint in the search function as well.
        Rob
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks Azr. Tried the search just wasn't seeing what I was looking for. Probably not using the right keywords.

Glad it worked out well for you. I may give it a shot. No pun intended.

Comment

Any thoughts on soda blasting an engine while in the bike? I know it would be more work to prep.

Also, any concerns with soda blasting gaskets and seals?

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
              Hi.

You can see on the pic I used sink stoppers on the intakes and exhaust.

I measured the holes and bought the closest at the hardware store. They come in almost all sizes in increments of 1/8 or 1/4 inches.

DP
              I actually had the same idea today and will be measuring my ports and doing that.

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
              Any thoughts on soda blasting an engine while in the bike? I know it would be more work to prep.

I had the same questions about using paint stripper on or around those same parts.

Good thoughts guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post

I've soda blasted an engine on the bike, worked out fine. I use one of these and it seems to work fine for me, really gets in those hard to get places well. The soda doesn't really start to do anything until you get up nice and close so over spray isn't too much of a worry on surround paints. None of the gasket or seals were any worse for wear from soda blasting while on the bike.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-9.png[/IMG]
                Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
                  Hi.

As for primer I user "Rustconverter" It's supposedly turn rust into primer and is paintable...I jumped to the conclusion that oxide is rust.

Time will tell how well the paint stick.

DP

I do hate to break it to you, but rust converter doesn't react with the oxidization of the metal, but rather iron in the unstable compound iron oxide.

The rust converter is primarily just tannic acid, which reacts with iron oxide to form Iron Tannate, a stable, black material.

So it has to be iron oxide, or the rust converter is doing nothing at all.

Comment

I spent some time last night "piddlin" to see if I could figure out the best approach to getting my motor clean enough for paint. Can't stand the thought of painting over any grime.

I started this process with Simple Green and bottle brushes. Amazing product. Worked great on the areas that had grease except the front of the motor where I have baked on oil from the tach leaking. It worked, but is not getting as clean as I would like. Even after hours of scrubbing.

I used some spray on Aircraft Paint Remover last night on parts of the case and cooling fins. That stuff is great. On the case it removed any paint within 5 minutes. Great product. It still did not remove the oil from the front of the case and cooling fins.

My next move will be soda blasting the stubborn part of the motor. I am looking for some cost effective rubber stoppers to fill the exhaust and intake ports. Thinking that if I can find some that are 2 inches at the top of the stopper that I will be in good shape. I don't want to risk anything getting through tape. I know of a guy that soda blasted a car motor, thinking he had it sealed off and eventually ruined the motor because of soda in the oil. It ate everything up that it touched. That's why I have been tentative about the process. I am going to make sure I have the motor completely sealed up.

I also broke out the polishing wheel to see what i could accomplish and was pleasantly surprised by the result with the breather cap and the top part of the stator case. She will look good eventually.

Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2012, 03:10 PM. Reason: adding pictures

Comment

For plugs,,,someone on here used bath tub plugs, they come in varying sizes, and are probably cheap enough for what your after.

Instead of masking tape, I used the aluminum foil tape, the stuff used for sealing up duct work, it holds on well, and is pretty strong, if you double it up, nothing should get past it, make sure where it's being applies is nice and clean, so it sticks well

The parts your going to buff, if you sand them down with a very fine paper, wet/dry say around a minimum of 400 grit, but go even higher, and then buff, you will get rid of almost all of those scratch marks, it will come out almost mirror finish, I didn't have anything higher than 400 and was lazy to go and buy some, but my parts came out not bad, if you want to go and take a look.

Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2012, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                        For plugs,,,someone on here used bath tub plugs, they come in varying sizes, and are probably cheap enough for what your after.

Instead of masking tape, I used the aluminum foil tape, the stuff used for sealing up duct work, it holds on well, and is pretty strong, if you double it up, nothing should get past it, make sure where it's being applies is nice and clean, so it sticks well
                        Yes, it was Highway Glider earlier in this thread. I looked for some at my local store but my ports are too big for what they have. I'll keep looking though.

With the buffing, I realized exactly what you just mentioned which it why I stopped. I actually took a lot of scratches out with a grinding bit on my dremmel and then went from 360 to 800 to 1000 grit, but want it to be as close to perfect as I can get. This was just messing around to learn the technique. I'll get serious about it next time. The bike was laid down and that cover was scratched as you can see on the emblem. Can't wait to see it finished.

I just ordered this.

Should be here next week. I'll let you know how it works.
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2012, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Soda blasted yesterday and finished up with a little hand sanding. She's ready:

Comment

.....................Drum rollllll..............................
                            .................................................. ..................
                            .................................................. ....................
                            .................................................. .....................
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Very cool. I'd really like my engine in black. Look forward to seeing your results.

Comment

Working...
                              X