Valve Adjustment Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Adjustment Questions

While I'm waiting on some tools to be shipped I thought I would check my valves and adjust them if they are out of spec.

'82 GS850GL

This is the first time I've done this and want to be sure I'm not missing anything obvious. I have my Clymer Manual out and have been through BassCliff's tutorial but want to check on the following:

1) When I measure with my feeler gauge I am measuring between the shim and the cam lobe correct? The reason I ask is because so far, when I measure, there is no gap when I measure with my .001/.025 mm feeler gauge.

2) I am having trouble understanding the set of feeler gauges I ordered from Snap On (FB-310B). The gauges are as follows from top to bottom:

.015/.381 mm
    .001/.025 mm
    .004/.102 mm
    .005/.127 mm
    .007/.178 mm
    .008/.203 mm
    .010/.254 mm
    .012/.305 mm
    .013/.330 mm

Spec for my valves is between .03 & .08 mm right? How do I measure that with these gauges? Can I?

If those numbers are accurate then yea you will need a different gauge. You can get one with just metric on it at your local bike shop or at Sears. And you can find them with the smaller inch sizes as well
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Your sets too large, you need a smaller set

Check to see if the clearance is too tight

Remove the shim, enter into the spreadsheet (you do have the spreadsheet, right?) and reinstall the shim. Repeat for each valve

Now, see what probable shim size you need and order the size you need

Once you get the new shims, start swapping them in and recheck
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yep, your limited number of feelers STINKS. Only one of them will do you any good, and it is smaller than the minimum clearance.

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        ... enter into the spreadsheet (you do have the spreadsheet, right?)
        Spreadsheet.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks fellas. I figured I had the wrong set. I'll pick some more up tomorrow. I know what happened now. I searched the site for threads on feeler gauges. I came up with a post where someone bought these guages. I ordered a set. Now I realize that they only bought it because of the smallest gauge which is hard to find. Awesome.

I have requested a spreadsheet. Looking forward to getting this done the right way.

Comment

Wow Steve. Thanks for the spreadsheet. It's as amazing as you polished internal parts.

Comment

It's better to ask questions than make mistakes right?

Want to make sure I am correct with labeling my valves. In the picture below:

#1 EX <A> #2 EX ------------- #3 EX <B> #4 EX

#1 IN <C> #2 IN ------------- #3 IN <D> #4 IN

Correct? or no...

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
                It's better to ask questions than make mistakes right?

Want to make sure I am correct with labeling my valves. In the picture below:

#1 EX <A> #2 EX ------------- #3 EX <B> #4 EX

#1 IN <C> #2 IN ------------- #3 IN <D> #4 IN

Correct? or no...

Correct. And By the way if for any reason you ever have to remove those cam caps, they need to go back exactly like they came off... They're labeled for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
                  1) When I measure with my feeler gauge I am measuring between the shim and the cam lobe correct? The reason I ask is because so far, when I measure, there is no gap when I measure with my .001/.025 mm feeler gauge.
                  Should be between the shim and base circle, not the top or any part of the lobe.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                    Should be between the shim and base circle, not the top or any part of the lobe.
                    What is the base circle?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Correct. And By the way if for any reason you ever have to remove those cam caps, they need to go back exactly like they came off... They're labeled for that reason.
                      Thanks ZRX!

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                        Would you please explain this as it doesn't make sense.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

the base circle is the part of the cam that isn't the lobe. You are measuring clearance between the shim and the cam. When the lobe comes around it will touch the shim and push the valve open. If the shim is touching the cam when the lobe is 180 degrees around from the shim your clearance is too tight.

Comment

The 850 factory service manual on BassCliff's site has a diagram that shows pretty clearly the correct position of the cam for checking clearance. I don't remember how good the diagram is in Clymer's. Basically, if you imagine a line passing through the point of the lobe and the center of the cam, you need that line to be parallel with the cam cover gasket face. Point the lobe toward the outside of the head.
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Okay that's what I thought he meant but I hadn't seen that spot on the cam named as such. I learned something new, thank you.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                              X