80 1100E gasket+parts help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 1100E gasket+parts help

The bike: 80 GS 1100e. I am ready to order everything in this z1 set and more to finally get it together.** Searching all the top sites, Z1, parts shark, Boulevard is driving me nuts.
    Looking for guidance and suggestions on where to get or not to get following items as to minimize the headache of wrong parts or overloooked stuff. As of now my bottom end is reinstalled and am ready to start reassembling the engine. I need everything in this set.
    I know the head/base gaskets must be oem. Is this an oem set?http://www.z1enterprises.com/Gasket-...-Set-1992.aspx

Also Need:
    set of 4 half moons plugs
    set of 4 of the big o rings that go around the cylinder walls
    set of 4 intake boots 2lefts/2rights obviously
    piston rings

Also any other rebuilt parts, or suggestions on oversights you may have at this time. Just lookin for advise on best overall gasket and parts place for my needs. Thanks, I am ready to throw the money at it and need to get it movin.
    If you have any of this for sale , let me know

Z1 doesn't sell OEM parts - that must be an aftermarket set...

I would use only OEM parts for these:
    piston rings
    Z1 does sell inexpensive aftermarket sets of those (4) half moons plugs - I've used them on several bikes with no issues. I also appy a VERY thin layer of Permatex gasket sealer along the rounded side only.

You should also replace the wrist pin circlips with new ones, and rebuild the cam chain tensioner too. Might as well install new valve stem seals while you're in there too.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
      Z1 doesn't sell OEM parts - that must be an aftermarket set...

I would use only OEM parts for these:
      piston rings
      Z1 does sell inexpensive aftermarket sets of those (4) half moons plugs - I've used them on several bikes with no issues. I also appy a VERY thin layer of Permatex gasket sealer along the rounded side only.

You should also replace the wrist pin circlips with new ones, and rebuild the cam chain tensioner too. Might as well install new valve stem seals while you're in there too.
      Thx for the response...all the old guys must be sleeping(did i say that out loud?)lol
      SO, I know about a bit of sealant on the moons, I guess I will just shop oem parts and get it all wherever. I will get new circlips, especaially cause one went flying across the garage during disassenbly and I never found it.
      And every part of the engine is stripped , painted or polished except the head, so I will be still disassembling it and stripping and painting it, so I will get new valve seals/and or guides when I get there.
      All good so far, thanks again.

Comment

Anyone got anything else on this?

Comment

I'm not a 16v engine guy but have read here that there are some critical O-rings/seals on top of the cylinder head nuts.

Part# 09280-17002
          Desc O RING SEAL NUT

I might have a spare OEM head gasket in case you are interested too.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            I'm not a 16v engine guy but have read here that there are some critical O-rings/seals on top of the cylinder head nuts.

Part# 09280-17002
            Desc O RING SEAL NUT

I might have a spare OEM head gasket in case you are interested too.
            Yes, thanks I just added the o rings in my shopping cart. I am ordering with suzuki parts house.com . It says oem and the prices seem good. Plus they are close to me so it might save on shipping.
            PM me a price on that gasket. zip code 44021 if you can. thank you

Comment

Ok guys, chime in with your wisdom today cause I am ordering a bunch of stuff later this evening. I basically know what I am getting/doing , just looking for some more suggestions for parts do's and dont's.

Comment

Working...
              X