1983 Gs850G Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 Gs850G Help!

hi guys, i have an 850 which i have been riding for 10 years. 2 years ago i had a major wiring disaster which made me have to scrap the old wiring harness, and get a new one. the new one was from a similar bike from around the same year.
    last year, i was riding on the hiway, goin about 75 when my bike suddenly bogged down to an idle. any time/every time after that, when i start the bike up, it will idle fine, but if i give it gas, it just bogs down. when i release the gas, the engine revvs up for a minute, then goes back to idle. if i ever-so-slowly, the rpms will increase up to a point (tach is not working) then bog back down. the highest i can rev the engine is with the choke on full. naturally i figured this to be a carb problem. i pulled the carbs off, and cleaned them. put them back on, and the bike does the same thing. so i pulled them off again, took them to my dad's, and WE cleaned them. put them back on. no change. took them off again, and had my friend come over, and we cleaned them again. my carbs are cleaner than anybody on this forum's carbs. no change in result. my dad thinks its electrical. i wonder if i should rebuild the carbs with new jets/floats. here's the issue, either route from here (electrical, or carbs) will start costing me money. i am broke. what do you guys think?

my bike has that same issue...if not very close...

i did the coil relay mod...check all the wires around your fusebox and under the seat...

Comment

Comment

the coil relay mod?

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
        my bike has that same issue...if not very close...

i did the coil relay mod...check all the wires around your fusebox and under the seat...
        thank you for the quick response! what is a coil relay mod? what am i checking the wires for? thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gnommad View Post
          thank you for the quick response! what is a coil relay mod? what am i checking the wires for? thanks!!

check the site kd posted...it basically got my bike goin...from nasty clogged carbs to re-wiring my 81 850

Comment

Originally posted by Gnommad View Post
            ... here's the issue, either route from here (electrical, or carbs) will start costing me money. i am broke. what do you guys think?
            Quite frankly, I think you should sell the bike.

These are 30-year-old machines that need some TLC. TLC isn't exactly cheap.

You at least have the advantage over many of the guys here in that you know the history of the last 10 years of your bike.
            Not saying it has been cared for properly over those 10 years, but at least you know what has been done.

How did you "clean the carbs"? If you just dropped the float bowls and sprayed some cleaner in there, you did NOT clean the carbs.
            There is a procedure that involves taking the carbs COMPLETELY apart and soaking each one in carb cleaner dip for 24 hours, then putting them back together with a new set of o-rings. This will restore them to as-new condition and be good for several years.

A bike that is running fine at 75 mph then will just barely idle does not sound electrical. What does your air filter look like? I am guessing that the air filter is either not in place or totally clogged. Either condition can limit engine speed to an idle.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i dont think selling the bike is a financially wise decision. selling a broken 30 year old machine is going to get me little cash. i cannot buy a new bike, cuz i'm broke, so i would have to buy a used one. which would put me in the same boat i am in now, but i wouldnt have an intimate knowledge with 1/3rd of the bike's life/maintenance. as stated before, i removed the carbs, then cleaned them. not just dropped the bowl. and no, i am not dumb enough to run a bike with no air filter. the filter in it is brand new. as stated earlier, the bike idles fine. actually, after the cleanings the carbs got, the bike idles purrrrrrfectly.

on a side note, when i got the new wiring harness, it came with a new r/r, so i was using that one. since having the trouble, i have wired the original r/r in, and saw no result.

i apologise if i sound a bit heated in this reply, but i dont think that just assuming i am a total idiot ("If you just dropped the float bowls and sprayed some cleaner in there, you did NOT clean the carbs" "the air filter is either not in place or totally clogged") and therefore not capable of maintaining my vehicle which i should just sell is the greatest advice on how to resolve the issue.

Comment

Working...
              X