Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's gone after 26 years. Sort of..

I guess this would be the subforum for this posting

In '85 I bought a white Suzuki GSX400E (GS in the states, in Europe the 4v engines were called GSX, the 2v engines are GS). Brand new, cheap because of the 25 years Suzuki was available in the Netherlands. Been riding it ever since, a lot of times it was my only means of transportation. Also I almost traded it in, first time for a CB750K, second time for a XJ/FJ600F. In the end, I just kept it.

Since 2001 I've bought some other bikes. First a Kawa GT550. Sold that and got a BMW R1150GS in 2003, bought a Kawa GPZ600R in 2005, sold the lot (exept the Suzi) in 2008, got a K75S, a R65 and a 500Shadow for the wife, sold the R, got a XT600Z and finally sold the XT to buy a second GSX400. A red one.

Plan was to use the red as a parts donor for my trusty old GSX. While having different bikes in my garage, I still used the white Suzi every now and then. Planned to mod it, but first I did some maintenance which it needed. Short time after I did everyting it needed (valves, oil, filters, fork seals, chain & sprockets, brakes, the lot) it got trashed by a joyrider in 2009. That was the reason the red one was bought early 2010.

By the time the red one found a place in my somewhat crowded garage, the white one was starting to take shape. Inner fork tubes where repaired, new front wheel, some small parts and it was time to put things together again. Ah, the red one was ehh adopted by the wife (two years earlier she stated "I don't want a red bike and not a moped like that" pointing at my Suzi, got the red one and she went "Ahh, what a nice little bike"). So parting it out wasn't an option.

Ok fast forward to 9/11 2011. The BMW K75 needed an oilpump seal, new oil, stuff like that, so it was parked on my motorcycle lift at the back of my garage. When I was done I started it, ran fine, let it rev a few times and then it caught on fire. Still don't know why. One of my friends is a motorcycle mechanic and he guessed it was probably a faulty fuel line.

So, with the fire underneath the aluminium gas tank, I ran outside to get the fire extinguisher but when I got back I wouldn't go inside anymore. Lot's of smoke. The fire department took care of it (10 minutes on a sunday morning, great guys and two women).

Result: back of the (wooden) garage gone, including the beemer. Some bicycles, a lot of other stuf, almost all of my tools.. The other motorcycles (two Suzuki's and the Shadow) took damage from the smoke and water but the White Suzuki was damaged the most. It stood near the back because it was next to put on the lift.

So: I ended the registration, wiped a tear from my eye and started to take it apart. It's the parts donor for the red one now so it's not really gone (regulator, rear wheel, rear fork, shocks are rolling again .

But it's still sad. The white carried a lot of memories. Even my mother (who passed away in 2010) was attached to this little motorcycle . So there it is: gone, but not really gone
    Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2012, 06:34 AM.

Sorry for your loss. Hope the red bike rolls down the road for a good long time in honor of the original.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about this. Good luck with the red one.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Aw man, after hanging on to it for so long, and then that happens, its sad.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Devastating story.
          Sorry to hear of your tragic loses and the destruction of you work area.

Eric

Comment

The loss of the Suzuki and also some tools that belonged to my father is a bit painfull, because of the memories. Then again, the beemer has been replaced by a XJ900F wich I like much more (I wanted a Suzuki 750 16v or a GS 850, but I stumbled across this one). The 400 will allways be my hobby bike.

The garage is smaller now. It was L-shaped, and the part in the back is gone. The concrete floor is still there so we got a nice place to sit while looking across the grass lands behind our house

Thanks for the support all..

Comment

Sorry for your loss, really tough losing something that you've grown up with, happily no one was hurt.
              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I feel for your loss, devastating.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

That's a beautiful sad story if that makes any sense. Heartening that White's donations will help Red thrive.
                  1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                  1983 GS 1100 G
                  2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                  2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                  1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                    That's a beautiful sad story if that makes any sense..
                    It does. I turn 45 in two weeks and maybe that's part of the reason, but the last few years I lost a lot of people and also stuff (wich is less important). I'm finally starting to realize that the memories you got are so very important... After people (or things) are gone, it's the memory and mental image that remains. The GSX story is a sample of exactly that.

Does this make any sense? It's hard to put emotional things in words and because englisch isn't my first language, it gets even harder

(Having a few drinks after diner doesn't help either)

Comment

"Don't cry because it's over,smile because it happened."-Dr Seuss

Comment

The red has received some tlc by now. A lot of the surface rust is taken care of (smoke, heat and water are lethal for metal). New oil, valves adjusted, carb sync and combined with the old new chain from the white have a net result of 10hp more at the rear wheel.

Still like these little, old-fashioned motorcycles

Comment

Working...
                        X