1980 GS1100 Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1100 Modifications

Hello, new here and this is my first post. Ever since the show "Cafe Racer" has been on TV I have been keeping an eye out for a bike to build. Found this last month. Sorry I don't have a 'before" pic.
    The guy was asking $900, talked him down to $400, it had been sitting for 6 years. The PO had plans to drag race it and it had a straight through pipe, also has some bigger cams and over sized pistons it runs really well after cleaning the carbs. It was in pretty sad shape otherwise and probably would have ended up in the scrap yard if I hadn't bought it.
    Mods so far include shortening the seat and frame by about 9", removed the square headlight and instrument pod and replaced them with smaller tach and speedometer and a 7" round headlight. Replaced the exhaust too.
    I have new tires for it and it will get painted eventually. Still need mirrors and maybe turn signals. Signals are not required in my state. I have an original airbox for it also.

Sheesh another classic gone...
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

No worry with modding a bike that was on deaths door. It has a muffler now too! Great Job!!!
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

This bike was long gone before I got it and its next destination was really the scrap yard.
        I like to think of it as "rescued from the crusher and a new lease on life".

Comment

I dont think it looks so bad. Of course I have no special affinity for the 1100. Nothing against it either, just ignorance on my part I'm sure.

I like that you kept the original tail, even if it is shorter. It helps it retain some of it's classic look.

Comment

To be honest I'm not sure if I will go the full cafe look with rearsets and lower bars, I think the seat is too low for those mods. I put some mx bars on it tonight, the ones that were on it had a little too much sweep back for my taste.
            I need to install a clutch and from there most everything else will be cosmetic. Paint and some powder coating mostly. I do have to redo some wiring which I'm not looking forward too, none of the lights work now.

Comment

I have some Renthal low bars on my GS1100G and they're great. They look good and are very comfy. Don't let the Suzuki museum police worry you! It's just a bike. Mine was on death's door too. If you find a mint example then sure, keep it like that. But an old rusty wreck? Perfect for having fun with. I love mine and it is getting a lot of use right now. It sure goes a lot better than when I bought it.

I think the main thing is - do it properly. And it looks like that is happening. Make it suit YOU.

Comment

I used renthal low bars too. I need to get some new grips, I really like renthal 50/50 style, been using them for 20 years on my dirt bikes. Since swapping bars the throttle works better, snaps back a lot easier.

I try to do things with function and safety first and form second. Shortening the tail was surprisingly easy. Spent more time staring at it than cutting and welding. The seat pan is the stock one that was shortened and sectioned narrower at the back. Then I took it to a trim shop and they cut new foam and made the cover.

Comment

I like what you have done. What's with the swingarm? That's not stock is it?

I like what you did with the tail. You chose an interesting line for for it. Mind you, I bought my GS1100 specifically because I love the straight line that goes along the underside of the tank to the tail light, all parallel to the road. It's cool how you angled the tail to point at the pods but I still like my straight lines! I've even raised the rea of my tank slightly to improve that line. Anal? Yup!

Comment

Like the seat and that exhaust,go for it!

1978 GS1000C
                    1979 GS1000E
                    1980 GS1000E
                    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. The swing arm is stock and is aluminum.
                      Suzuki started using aluminum swing arms in '78 on their motocross RM's and they started showing up on some street bikes after that.

Comment

There is no indication on the title or vin number as to what model GS 1100 this is.
                        Can anyone tell just by looking at it?

Comment

'80 or '81 GS1100ET based on the tail striping.

Eric

Comment

I like the tail, I have never liked the way these bikes hang so far over the back wheel.

Comment

Thanks for the info Eric.
                              Here is a pick with the new bars. I put a new clutch in it yesterday. This thing sat for 6 years, apparently with the petcock on, it had more gas than oil in the crankcase. I think the gas may have swelled the fiber clutch disks.
                              Waiting for some turn signals to arrive, probably tomorrow. Then starts the fun of re-wiring, the tail light is the only thing that works now.

Comment

Working...
                              X