Pod Support Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pod Support Program

Hello, I am Mister Cinders, and I use pods.

Actually, I am looking for some mechanical support ideas.

Recently, I had to replace my intake boots because at least one had developed a crack along the upper seam. The boots were otherwise pretty soft, clean, etc.

I suspect that the weight of the pods/carbs cantilevered on those boots contributed to the cracking. Without the airbox bolted at the back, the intake boots have to support more weight than originally intended.

Before my new boots get addicted to crack, I want to rig up something to support the carbs/pods from the back end, taking some of the stress off the boots.

I tried just tying a loop of wire from the pods to the frame, but it looked ghetto as hell. Getting it taut was too tricky. The pods/carbs don't have that much play in them, but the small jiggle they get when you hit a bump is precisely what I aim to secure. There also was no good way to center the wire, since looping it under the 2/3 pods put the wire in the path of the idle screw, making it a PITA to adjust under the tank. So the wire approach looks crappy, doesn't give the support I want, and interferes with idle adjustment. Strike out.

Has anyone found a clean way to support the rear of their pod/carb assembly? I thought about using a pipe strap or even rigging up something with some light cable and a turnbuckle so I could really lock the back end down. If there's a way to support them from underneath, that could be cool, but I don't see how that might work.

Ideas?

i have been working on a bracket/support for my carbs as well for a while now. still in prototype at the moment but so far my best idea has been a bracket that uses the rear oil pressure switch cover mounting bolt and then secures to no.3 float bowl screws.
    still investigating so if anyone comes up with a better idea, please let us know
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
      Before my new boots get addicted to crack, I want to rig up something to support the carbs/pods from the back end, taking some of the stress off the boots.
      Ideas?

Priceless... I have a few ideas, I'll sketch something up... I mounted my "non-pod far from stock" arrangement right off the frame. I'll come up with something that doesnt require welding.
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic
      1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

I joined two long, heavy-duty zip-ties together and looped it around the frame to hold my pods up on my 1100EX.

Works pretty well - simply set the tension by pulling on the zip-tie. Keeps them from bouncing around.
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          i have been working on a bracket/support for my carbs as well for a while now. still in prototype at the moment but so far my best idea has been a bracket that uses the rear oil pressure switch cover mounting bolt and then secures to no.3 float bowl screws.
          still investigating so if anyone comes up with a better idea, please let us know
          Didn't you have that clever pipe rig to replace the bowl drain hoses?

Something like that with some rubber bumpers might be suitable as a "kickstand" for the back. That would at least reduce the flexing in the boots that happens every time tkent has to bring the front wheel back down at a red-light.

Comment

I wonder if you could work out a bracket that bolts under the intake boot bolts and wraps around the sides, then bottom back of the carb? Does that make sense how I describe what I am thinking? I'm thinking something similar to the choke or gang rail on the carbs.

However, there may be too much torque on such a setup to provide real support, with the gauge of metal you'd have to use.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
              Didn't you have that clever pipe rig to replace the bowl drain hoses?

Something like that with some rubber bumpers might be suitable as a "kickstand" for the back. That would at least reduce the flexing in the boots that happens every time tkent has to bring the front wheel back down at a red-light.
              yes i still have it fitted but it is not strong enough to act as a "sturdy" mount.
              what about a simple (slightly bent/angled) tie bar that connects the front screw of the carb tops on 1 & 4 to the outer rear cam cover mounting bolts?
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

yes i still have it fitted but it is not strong enough to act as a "sturdy" mount.
                what about a simple (slightly bent/angled) tie bar that connects the front screw of the carb tops on 1 & 4 to the outer rear cam cover mounting bolts?
                Even simpler idea ^^^.

That might not stand out too much, either
                '83 GS650G

Comment

could even be made to look bling if made with a nice bit of polished aluminium.
                  hmmmmmm think i may look at this tomorrow
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

I'm gonna see what happens here... I never even thought about it!

Probably not as big an issue with only 2 carbs but something to think about...
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

... if made with a nice bit of polished aluminium.
                      hmmmmmm ...
                      Yummm.

Polished aluminum.

On other bits that seldom see the light of day.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh me like shiny bits
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh me like shiny bits
                          Those are just the "never seen" bits.

For the ones that do matter, I make sure they are SHINY:

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What about this stuff looped over the frame (under the tank) and tag off the center carbs (top screws). kinda shiney too....bling bling....
                            -Mark
                            Boston, MA
                            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                            sigpic
                            1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Those are just the "never seen" bits.

For the ones that do matter, I make sure they are SHINY:

I was scrolling very slowly, and at first I thought you had embedded a penny in your float bowl...those are some shiny bowls. What's YOUR secret?
                              '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
                              X