Medical syringes - a multipurpose tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical syringes - a multipurpose tool

Awhile back, I purchased a set of five 60cc syringes from Amazon for under $5 (free shipping):

I had originally thought I might use just one for rebalancing the electrolyte level in my battery. (I somehow did not get the cells even when adding the acid to the battery initially.) But since then, I've used these for a lot of other things as well.

When reassembling my forks, I used the syringe plus a length of brake line for getting the fork oil level correct:

When bleeding my brakes, I used the syringe plus a 2-foot length of clear hose to vacuum-bleed the lines. I was astonished at how well this worked. Same principle as the MightyVac. Just pull back the stopper a bit to create suction, watch the air bubbles and brake fluid start to fill the hose. Keep the syringe held up vertically so that the air bubbles travel upward toward the air space in the line. And of course make sure you don't run the reservoir dry.

Of course the downside is that I don't know how long the plastic and rubber will hold up to volatile chemicals. For some tasks, I've been able to keep the chemicals inside tubing, using the syringe only as a vacuum source. But really, these are cheap enough that they're pretty much worth it even if they were one-time use for every job.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

The materials in the syringe are rather robust, but they are susceptible to some solvents.
    Brake fluid is not a problem.
    Fork oil is not a problem.
    Engine coolant is not a problem.
    Gasoline can only be done once or twice before the black seal on the plunger gets all sticky.
    Kerosene is not much of a problem, it lasts longer than gasoline.

The numbers on the barrel will wear off, but you don't usually need them, anyway.
    The barrel itself will last quite a while, it's the black seal on the end of the plunger that gives up.

I have easy access to these at work, so I use them about every day.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i also keep syringes of various sizes. as you say they do come in handy for all sorts of things.(not drugs Chuck, so dont even go there!)
      i usually get them free by "borrowing" them from hospital visits...........
      the seals dont last very long once in contact with oil/fuel or brake fluid but they are cheap enough to class as consumables.
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

another good source for these, esp in larger sizes, is feed/tractor supply stores. a big'un filled with grease is a handy guy.
        1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

If you live in an area with farms that have livestock, go to a farm supply store such as Tractor Supply Company or Rural King. They sell syringes and needles for veterinary purposes.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
          X