Removing Old Exhaust Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Old Exhaust Gaskets

The old gaskets are mangled on my 1100E (that explains the bent flanges on the header...), so I thought I would pull them out and pick up some new ones today. Well, they are so smashed and flattened that they will NOT come out. I tried gently prying with a pick and a screw driver, but nothing moved. Any other ideas/tips/suggestions? Last time I changed gaskets on my GSXR, they almost fell out into my hands... :?

Mark

Mine didn't want to come out when I put on my 2-1 exhaust. What I ended up doing was half way put on the old pipes(to keep the noise to a minimum) and run the engine till it was stinkin hot and then took the pipes off and a screw driver and hammer and they came out pretty easy. I wore some welding gloves while doing the work to keep from burning myself.

Comment

Something simliar to the above would be to heat them up with a torch...and see if they budge.

Comment

Something simliar to the above would be to heat them up with a torch...and see if they budge.
        I was thinking that after reading the first post. I could use a small gas welding tip to control the heat and just play the flame over the gaskets. I am going to make a more concerted effort to remove them cold, first. But they are so flattened that I would not be surprised if it gets ugly before they move...The joys of rebuilding a 23 year old bike, I guess. :roll:

Why is it that people will not spend a few bucks for new gaskets, then are willing to destroy the bolt flanges on their header trying to torque the bolts tight enough to seal the leaks? Seems like a false economy to me.

Mark

Comment

Mine in a 1980 GS550E weren't coming out either. I called the tech at the dealer. His recommendation was to use a chisel! It worked but you'll have to regrind and recontour that chilsel. Good luck.

Comment

I tried all sorts of stuff to get the first one out - screwdriver, exacto blade, pliers - it finally came out with needle-nosed vice-grips. I used them on the last 3 and they came out really easily without any damage to the surface where they seat. If you can get ahold of just a tiny piece of the inside edge, it will all unravel in a big spiral and come out easily.

Comment

I tried all sorts of stuff to get the first one out - screwdriver, exacto blade, pliers - it finally came out with needle-nosed vice-grips. I used them on the last 3 and they came out really easily without any damage to the surface where they seat. If you can get ahold of just a tiny piece of the inside edge, it will all unravel in a big spiral and come out easily.
              And we have a winner! This is the best choice so far that I have seen. I will take after them this weekend with some vise grips and see how it goes.

Thanks to all for the help.

Mark

Comment

1/4" wood chisel. One tap with a hammer and the gasket will split and come out easy. Not too good for the chisel alright.

Comment

Good news, I got them all out with a bit of swearing and grunting. This experience has given me more reason to not be cheap and use the gaskets too many times over. Anyway, I ended up using an old blade screwdriver that has a pretty thin blade on it and driving it under the edge of the gasket, then prying the gasket inward until it collapsed. Some came out OK, some in pieces, but they all came out.

Just a thought, would using anti-seize here help with replacement the next time or not?

Mark

Comment

I just have at 'em with a hammer and a screwdriver. When I get them a little free, I use a 90 degree pick and fish 'em out.

Just a thought, would using anti-seize here help with replacement the next time or not?
                    The new gaskets come with some kind of compund on them. It's like a mint green color. I'm not sure if it's a sealant, or a type of anti sieze. Anyway, the manual makes no mention of using anti-sieze, so I'd leave it as is.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I had no problems taking mine out. came at them from the top of the head with a flat blade screwdriver. lightly tapped the screwdriver in behind the gasket and pried it out. Had all four gaskets out in about 30 seconds.

Comment

Working...
                      X